Disabled Wonder Dog, I NEED HELP!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
GraysonWhite

Disabled Wonder Dog, I NEED HELP!!

Post by GraysonWhite »

SO, my dog Raga is an amazing, recently handicapped dog that I can no longer take care of. I have spent the last year and half doing the best I can but have once again reached a point where I can't keep up with the care of this wonderful dog. It's not so bad, if I were maybe older, didn't have to work 3 jobs or had someone to help me I could certainly keep up the work, but that's not the case. I have contacted all the sanctuaries that I know of to contact, tried to get local pet sitters to help out but nothing is working. I'm posting this for help, ideas, or in the hopes of someone wanting to give him a great few last years.
Raga is in a cart, can scoot around fast when he's not in it, loves hanging out in the backyard and playing ball, and is great inside the house just being lazy. Everything about him is still the same, He just can't use his back legs.
Please get in touch with me, thanks very much. Image
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Disabled Wonder Dog, I NEED HELP!!

Post by Bobbie »

Can you tell us where you are, how big and how heavy your dog is, how old, and more about his disability?
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

I wrote to Grayson (couldn't wait for more details!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Christine from Handicapped Pets

Hi,

Your dog sounds incredible. Just writing you here in case you did not see the post by Bobbie, another moderator. Could you tell us where you are and also more about your dog's handicap. How long, how did it happen, prognosis?? We would love to help you find a wonderful home for him...I'm sorry your circumstances are that you cannot keep him and I admire you for trying to do the right thing for him. By the way, he is beautiful! Christine
.............................................................................................................

Hi Christine,

Raga had to have surgery because he had two slipped discs (out of the blue) and surgery didn't go so well. I was told that if I didn't do surgery, he would become fully paralyzed and the surgery had a 92% success rate. A very heartbreaking scenario but I decided to keep him going. He still has such a huge spirit! We are in Portland, Or, moved here about 6 months ago TN via Louisiana, so it's also been tremedously hard being away from all my family. But by being here in this huge dog town, I was able to find a rehab place for him and he has kept some of his muscle in the back legs and they also taught me how to 'live' and make it work with a disabled dog. THings like buddylifts and diaper wraps that work etc. things no one had previously told me that made my life so much easier!! His prognosis is that he not going to regain the use of legs, but he has made pretty large improvements as far as getting around, he scoots around and when he is going after food or tennis balls, he kind of raises up on his knees and straightens out the legs so he moves pretty quick that way. His doctor (he gets water therapy and lazer therapy once a week, only becuase a silent donor pays for it) says he's doing great and that his spine and muscles are in great shape and that other than the fact he can't walk around, he's healthy and will probably be around for 3 or 4 more years (he's 9) unless something out of the blue comes up.
Thanks for responding and if ya need some more info please let me know.

Grayson White
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Grayson,

Have you ever heard of Rolling Dog Ranch? Check this out...

http://www.rollingdogranch.org/
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Grayson,

:welcomeblue: I'm in PA via Memphis, TN. Sounds like you are in shock living in the NW. True?
Our dog has been paralyzed and incontinent for 4+ years following IVDD w/o surgery. He became paralyzed within the first month after we moved here.

I'm trying to understand why you can't keep Raga.

(1) Are you physicially and mentally at the breaking point? (BTW, we've all been through that at one time or another.) I find that it is a cyclic event.

(2) Does his bladder need expressed and you find that difficult with your work schedule? Are you traveling? Maybe the silent donor would provide kennelling when you travel.

If you want a support group, we are IT ! This is the best place to come to talk to people about a disabled pet. The friends on this bb are the absolulte BEST at supporting a decision to keep or maintain a HP pet.

I'm not sure I understand you reason for needing to place Raga. Tired?

Dianne
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I just sent an e-mail to Best Friends in Utah.
I became a member since Mickey's passing and do all I can to help our furry friends, I will let you know if I get a reply.

hang in there!
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Dianne, I was thinking the same thing. The joy in WonderDog's face is something that brings tears to my eyes. He adores his family and they have done such a wonderful thing in the rehab of Raga. What a beautiful face. As you work on rehoming Raga, we are here to help you handle your day-to-day.

I only say this because I looked for a family for Allicks. I had to make a decision amongst my dogs. I chose to re-home my two beautiful show dogs to a horse farm in NC. Why? Because two families wanted her, and I selected one, and they DIDN'T SHOW UP at puppy class which was our arrangement. I cried all the way home. In HUGE relief! I then sought homes for two of my dogs, because with her handicap, I could not have kept all of them. The two who were rehomed had an outstanding chance at a wonderful life. I still cry at that loss, but not nearly as much as I did at the relief I felt at getting to keep my girl.

I fear you might go through the same loss, and it is irreversible and unbearable.

We are right here. We can help you. We will help you rehome Raga and we will help you in dealing with your day-to-day.
Thank you for posting.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

the answer I got from the Animal Sanctuary:
Thank you for contacting Best Friends Animal Society.

As you can imagine, we receive many cross-posted messages each day at Best Friends. So often, enough time has passed that the situation has been resolved or a critical deadline has been missed. That’s why we recommend that if you are in a position to do so, that you ask the rescuer or caregiver involved with the animals of concern to contact Best Friends directly so that we can get the specifics regarding the situation and offer what help we have available.

Our main email address is nmhp@bestfriends.org Email is the best way to reach us, but those without a computer can call (435) 644- 3965 ext 4800.

I thank you for your concern about the situation.

Sincerely,

let all beings be happy
GraysonWhite

Post by GraysonWhite »

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU everyone for the words of consolement and encouragement! I don't think I've had such a good response through this entire ordeal. Just so everyone knows, these are places I have contacted.
Rolling Dog Ranch (said no), Golden hearts, St. Francis of Assisi, Best Friends (I will contact them again), Home At Last, Pets with Disabilities (too many cartdogs for another one) Angels Gate and I'm talking with Home for Life.
I've had several different ideas about how to make this work, I would absolutely LOVE to find somewhere that could keep him for a few weeks and then I keep him for a few weeks, I think I could make that work and then the other party involved wouldn't have to commit to forever care. Really, anything to make it work. I think some of you were wondering why I couldn't do this anymore. Well, the fact is that I just don't have any help with his care. I don't have family, and unfortunately no friends that are willing to do the work. THey love to see him and play with him but most of them can't handle his circumstances. That being the case, as of now I have 2 jobs and at nite I teach teach training classes (i'm finishing my behavior and training certification!!), so, i work, train, and take care of my dog, seriously, oh and I play in a band the tours the country, Raga used to go on the road with me but can't anymore and so that is another thing in my life I have given up, but I'm ok with giving that up for now. Raga's life has, as most of you can relate this, made mine so much better and this experience has help to define who I am and what I want. I do know though, that both of us are suffering in our situation right now.
thanks again, and I'm going to try to keep up better. (this is the first time I've checked this in a few days).
So, what do you guys do with your dogs when you have to be gone for a few days???
OH, check this out, Raga made the cover of one of our local papers and there's a pretty interesting article about us, the fist few paragraphs and then scroll down the page and the last couple of paragraphs, and at the end there are some photos of Raga (rajah)
http://wweek.com/editorial/3505/11958/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I so much wish you could be with your dog all the time.
What about a ramp to use for a car so you can roll him in there.
What about your local pet rescue, aren't there volunteers or foster homes for a couple days a week?
I wish you lived close to me and your problem would be solved .

let all beings be happy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

What a wonderful article! What a wonderful testimonial to LOVE! I wish there was a way ... How I wish ...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

I'm thinking that you could still take Raga on the road with you when the band travels. Is incontinence the BIG issue?

PS. We took our incontinent doxie on a 2000 mile road trip when son was married. The only BIG negative was he was angry in the hotel room...needed to be kennelled because of separation anxiety. It IS possible to travel with incontinent dogs.

Do you know about "poop on demand"? It helps YOU control elimination issues.

Raga is clearly smiling at YOU in the photo.
Christine

Post by Christine »

What a great mascot he would be!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Grayson,

I will throw out some ideas here, just for whatever they're worth? I just want to say that Dianne is right, we all get to a point where we think we can't do it. At least I think everyone does, maybe there are some exceptional people or saints out there, or people with ideal circumstances, I don't know. But caregiver stress goes with the territory. Most of us get through it and come out on the other side. I don't know if you have time, but here is an article from the Special Needs Pets website on caregiver stress, and I think it especially applies to you because it is obvious your friends do not have Clue One what you are going through, which to me has always been half the problem. If I was caring for an elderly grandparent, or a bedridden spouse, everyone around me would be understanding and realize how much work I was doing and how it was limiting my life, and they'd probably also give me social approval for being so faithful, etc. But you can do just as much heavy work, sometimes draining, not to mention inconveniencing, and seemingly no end in sight, and nobody seems to realize what it is doing to you and your life, much less give you credit for it. It's like it just doesn't register. Or worse, in some cases they will even criticize or belittle you--the "Why don't you just put that dog down" crowd. They'd never say that if you were caring for an invalid father, would they.

http://www.specialneedspets.org/caregvrs.htm

You know, I did travel with my paralyzed dog. We've been across country twice and I swear, I loved it. I wish I didn't have to stay close to home to care for my other pets, so I could take off with her and travel some more. Maybe we will still get to. She is good about sleeping in the car. We have a collapsible crate I put in the hotel room. And when we had a little spare time during travel, I would take her out to see things. I mean, she got a kick out of checking out the parking lot, or one time we walked to a lake and saw a Putt Putt golf course. (I confess I took her to the Putt Putt while they were closed because I thought she might walk really well on their green "grass"--don't tell!) But nothing matched the thrill she got right in the hotel room smelling EVERYTHING. You have no appreciation of how many smells there are in a hotel room till you take a dog. It inspired her to do additional standing and walking at a time when she was just beginning to stand and take a few steps. I was amazed. Anyway, nothing better than travelling with my dog for a co-pilot.

Not sure about your band, but it seems like some of your fans might actually think it is very cool that you have a cart dog. I still remember James Taylor having a pet pig years ago, that kind of stuff is cool with the public. But going back to travelling, I expressed my dog everywhere. In the grass at rest stops. On the hood of the car in parking lots (she's small enough to lift up and I threw a cup of water on it to save the paint job). In the motel room on a puppytraining pad. When it was time to express her bladder, we just did it and I didn't care what anybody thought. And seriously, in years to come some of your fans are likely to have a dog with a mobility problem and they may look back and think, "Hey, remember GraysonWhite with Raga?--I want to get a cart for my dog like that" and they will save their dog, going by your example.

Like Dianne I would like to know if part of the problem is your schedule does not allow you to get home and express the bladder 3 times a day. It sounds like you do have a very tight schedule. However, if you can generally manage that part of your schedule, then I think the rest will fall into place. Seriously, I've got to say that this is the time of year when many people feel at a low ebb. I remember my all-time low point with my dog was in April. Long winter, you know? I didn't feel spent, I was spent, let's not minimize any of this. It is real. Fortunately, and I didn't know it at the time, a month later I was past it and we were doing better. I think it has to do with the miserable weather, the lousy light (which might be especially true up in the Pacific Northwest where it is overcast a lot), and just everything that goes with that time of year. But...better days are coming.

Here is another website, done by Tom, who was caring for his dog. You'll probably find truth everywhere in it.

http://www.geocities.com/petinspiration/

You know, if there is just no freaking way you can continue to do this any more, then that may be the case. Nobody else is in your exact circumstances with your exact schedule and commitments and care routine, and nobody knows the situation like you do. I am glad you got some support from the PT place. PT has helped me too, not just my dog. Many times it has felt like such a relief to let someone else exercise her, and know they are doing so much for her. It gives me a break, even if only for a morning.

Something I used to do with a previous dog that was not paralyzed but was down due to hip dysplasia, was once in a while I would board him at the vet overnight. He got to be around other dogs, which wasn't all bad, and I got a break. He used to bark and wake me up early and I was ready to collapse, I was getting very crabby and hard to be around. Something else I did sometimes was take him to the vet for a bath and leave him all day. Drop him off early in the morning, let them give him a bath and do the lifting and so on all day, then I picked him up at 4:30 before they closed. He got a bath and I had all day to get things done, go do errands without feeling I should be home checking him, etc. It was a much needed reprieve. Sometimes you have to do something, you go nuts.

I am not trying to put any guilt trip on you to keep the dog, if you can't, you can't, and you are the one who knows for sure. But I do want to give the other view, in case any of it sounds possible in your situation. One other thing I do not mind saying, and I know this will sound strange, but maybe you need to give yourself permission to NOT do such an outstanding job with your dog. Nobody expects you to do a perfect job--are you a perfectionist? Let me guess the answer to that question. Maybe a little bit? :wink: I believe for all I'm worth that it is OK to do a less than perfect job with my dog at times, if it means that overall we stay together and life goes on. Shoot, if I gave her to someone else, chances are they would be doing a less than perfect job as well.

All I can say is, hang in there, and I hope an adoption comes through for you if that is what you know is best. If you would like to have a moderator move this thread to the Rescue area, where messages are posted by people trying to find a home for a pet, please let us know. Hope you will update on how things are going.

P.S. I just hit Preview, wow this was long! :blush:
GraysonWhite

Post by GraysonWhite »

Thanks Carol for the ideas and advice. I've gone through the boarding, but have gotten to where i just can't afford. I might should have been a bit clearer in my statement to everyone about my situation. But I'm pretty broke, I'm doing 3 jobs as of now and it's pretty to tough to make my bills and rent every month. It's not like I have a family or people around the house to help. That's where I run into a lot of problems, I feel like if I was about 20 years older and had some money and a partner, I could do this.
The travelling on the road with the band would definitely not fly. I went cross country with Raga about 7 months ago and it was extremely hard, he was sick a lot and his bowels were not firm. I also think it got a little uncomfotable even though I had foam lined all over the seats. I also know the other 4 people would not be ok with habing him with us.
I'm going to check out the links you left for me, thanks.
I think I have really gotten to the point now that I have made the decision that I have to find somewhere else for him. I started hitting the i can't do this anymore point s about half a year ago. I've taken lots of steps to make sure he would even be happy somewhere else without me because i was worried he would give up if I wasn't around. I had him stay with a few different people he didn't previously know and he had a blast and wasn't lethargic or crabby. talk soon, thanks.