Handicapped kitten in recovery needing home and rehab

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Desirem19

Handicapped kitten in recovery needing home and rehab

Post by Desirem19 »

Hi everyone please help me out with information if you can,

I am in need of a home for a 4 month old kitten (I believe not sure?) He has made a lot of progress after an injury but he needs rehab and someone who has the time to spend with him to manually pee him. He is currently having to pee about 3-4 hours at a time and he usually comes to you when he needs to be but not always. He poops at the same time that he pees except when he has diarrhea so thats pretty easy. To keep poops regular I have him on canned food which the vet recommended for a diet due to constipation and enormous poops (she said he needed more fluids). He tries to stand every now and then and kicks his legs when they get into water and he lifts his tail when you pee him. When he is constipated we stick a q-tip in his butt and he really kicks his legs. He is pretty crazy climbing and launching off of things which I didn't think would help his case but the vet said keeping his spirits lifted is good and if he doesn't recognize anything wrong with his legs its probably better.

He is sweet but recently took him to a cat rescue and they keep cats in one room and when she came back to pee him he wouldn't let her near him so I am not sure what happened there but he is fine with everyone that has come over to our house (we have lots of guests) but sometimes he can get crazy and excited where he looks evil but is just playing I can upload a video if someone wants to know about that. He bites pretty hard when he is excited but has learned no and after you do that he bites and growls at his own legs which is strange but to each his own? He loves to play and loves to get be run around outside (we hold his tail and run behind him) and will chase your legs and want to be chased (he is actually super fast). He gets around mainly by sliding but doesn't get sores or loss of hair and only leaks when getting a full bladder. He is a pretty happy cat and while he hasn't had any shots the vet has said he looks healthy.

Right now he has been doing water therapy at home as well as muscle massage to stimulate his muscles... it has been going ok and while it helped I feel he needs professional rehab to be able to walk again. When he is sleeping he actually moves them a lot more I am not sure if that is because he isn't conscious so he doesn't feel hindered but he stretches out his legs and brings them back in stretches his toes a lot and once tried running during a dream. You can get him to stretch his legs by rubbing the back of them as well as massaging his toes but his movements are a little shaky (he gets stronger every day) He is pretty independent but when he needs you he wants you there for him (he is really sad after a day home alone) and will do really well with a friend. His last friend was a giant bunny and they would run/play together. Even when the bunny was in the cage he would sleep next to the bunny.

I will have to euthanize him in about a week because he no longer has a home where someone can take care of him and I have decided to take him into my temporary home which is currently my car. I will be trying to get a hotel for some of the days but I am low on funds and have tried every cat rescue I know in Central Ca. so I cant wait much longer. I am in the Northern Ca area now and would be willing to help a shelter out by volunteering if they take him or help someone who decided to keep him by helping him get situated in their home and providing a supply of food. If anyone can help out with info, fostering, or a new home it would be appreciated :) You can contact me at Desirem19@msn.com
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo 2.jpg
MissWhiskers

Re: Handicapped kitten in recovery needing home and rehab

Post by MissWhiskers »

If anyone can help with transport I will take him!! I live in Reston, Va. Please hang loose while we work out transport!! Please private message me and I will give you my phone #'s and regular email so you can reach me faster!

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Crossposting...
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Oh what an adorable baby! Bless you for caring for this little one! I can tell that you are facing some issues where caring for him is going to become difficult. Are you the one that is currently caring for him?

I see where Karen who has cared for many special needs kittens has offered to adopt him and we just need to move him from one coast to the other. Since he needs to have his bladder expressed we are going to have to arrange an air transport. While this takes a bit of 'doing', it is done fairly often. We ask for you to be patient.

Karen is asking for you to PM her so you can exchange phone numbers. When the two of you talk, will you give her more details as to where exactly you are in CA? We'll need that information in order to begin trying to figure out which airports to use. Will you be able to get him 'travel ready' and to an airport? We might be able to find someone in your area who has special needs experience and could foster the kitten while we arrange transport. We'll also need to find someone who will be able to get him to a vet just before he is ready to travel so that he can be issued a health certificate. He will need this to be able to fly.

What kind of injury did he sustain? When did the accident happen? Was he or is he currently on any medication for the injury?
/mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
Desirem19

Post by Desirem19 »

I am taking care of the kitten currently and have been emailing heR and hopefully with get a phone number back tomorrow so we can discuss it. When he was very young he was shut in the door of the house and had fractured his spine and rib. He had always been afraiD of the outdoors so we never thought he would leave and one day we were all leaving and he jumped when the door was barely cracked and got smashed so we rushed him to the emergency vet. He has actually been doing great in the car so I don't have plans of euthanizing him. I was concerned tht it woul be a terrible time for him but he didt even need to adjust and he has the back all set up for him and his toys so patience I not a problem :) I have contacted a few rescues locally an some friends have gotten the word out so people are trying to help. I have a problem with people understand that he is special needs but if anyone knows somebody with experience that's great because I don't feel comfortable just handing him off to get him out o the car. I care deeply about him and I am taking great care o him and he is happy and healthy and I don't want to risk any complications with handing him off to anyone... It didn't work well last time either. Hopefully the people trying to help don't take offense to this I just need someone prepared for te responsibility so he isn't moved around a lot to keep him from getting stressed and improper care. Sorry for the typos my phone is actin up and I have to rush to class now.
Desirem19

Post by Desirem19 »

I am sorry I forgot to say he isn't on any medications and the injury happened about 4 months ago and he has been moving his legs and tail for about 3 months.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Desiree and I talked on the phone Friday night and I believe she is in agreement with allowing me to adopt Roscoe if we can arrange transport. Desiree, It was nice to talk to you and it certainly sounds like you are taking good care of him since his unfortunate accident - and committed to what is best for him. I believe I could handle him and would try to do an excellent job of taking care of him! If you want to see what happens with that "scholarship" (vet care/treatments for Roscoe) I think that sounds great - maybe you can briefly describe it here for those following along? I wouldn't want to interfere with him getting those benefits! unless they can be transferred to the East Coast? but I wouldn't really think so.
So if all goes well Mari, and every one, we will greatly appreciate any assistance with arranging transport and or raising funds for expenses or advice on these things.
Also, Christine or Carol or any moderator, should we move this topic to NON Urgent Rescue? If so, can you help us move it?
Thanks everyone! :P

Karen
Christine

Post by Christine »

What an adorable little guy! (He looks like he is wearing a tuxedo!) Desiree, I wish you could keep him...it is evident how much you love him. If it works out that Karen can take him, he will be just as loved and receive the care he requires. I am sure after speaking with her, you can tell she would be a great mom to him.

So now, we wait for the final details before working on transport? When we get to that point, maybe Critters and those of you experienced with that will guide us. In the meantime, check the sticky under Transport for requirements and information. If transport becomes a reality, I guess we would move this thread to that category, right girls???
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thanks Christine. I actually thought maybe we should move to the regular rescue forum as opposed to Urgent Rescue, now. You don't think so? But yes whenever you say so we can go to transport! Should we go now?
Desiree I will email you my address privately. Also, If you get a chance to post any video that would be great. I am very curious to see the behaviour you were talking about, plus people here might be able to comment on it if they have any experience with that kind of thing!
Someone suggested that if ANYONE within our "network" is going to be travelling from CA, to - I guess anywhere closer to VA - please let us know if you think you could help!
Happy Halloween everybody! :mrgreen:

Karen
Christine

Post by Christine »

I agree that, fortunately, his thread does not need to be in Urgent Rescue so I moved it and even removed URGENT from the original title. Since the actual rescue has not yet been decided, I think this is the place to keep it until and if transport is required. At that point, I believe we should move it to that category which would be more relevant at that time.

I hope we get to see a video of this little cutie.

Happy Halloween to you too!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

:thankyou: Thanks Christine! Yes, Desiree was describing how he sometimes comes at you in a snake like movement and as if he's going to bite you, I think. She and her mother have been debating what they think that is all about. I think she said it is usually if he has gotten overly excited. One of them thinks he is just a little crazy and I think one of them thought maybe it is something neurological - sorry if I am not telling this right, Desiree! but I would be interested in the people here giving opinions on it if Desiree gets a chance to post any video. I was thinking maybe it is some sort of defensive behaviour. The vet didn't seem to think there was anything really wrong indicated by it.
Thanks again,

Karen
Christine

Post by Christine »

How are things going with Roscoe?
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Here's Roscoe!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=659542354

Desiree obtained a "scholarship" for him - I think that is basically a package of vet visits/treatments - and she is planning to keep him until he gets to go through all of that, then if she still needs to find a home for him - I have said I would adopt him - just have to arrange transport - across the country!!
His first visit is this week. Desiree will let me know how that goes and I will post the info here.

Thanks
Karen