Kitty with Cerebellar Hypoplasia needs home soon!!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
jennifer52482

Kitty with Cerebellar Hypoplasia needs home soon!!!

Post by jennifer52482 »

Hello everyone! Im hoping to find a home for a kitty that my boyfriend and I rescued. It had been outside for a while with other cats that come around our apt bldg, but recently the cats were gone for a while and the kitten was by itself everyday just sitting under cars. We noticed right away the kitten had some sort of neurological problem because it would get off balance easy and fall. It was eating though and doing fine. Then we noticed it had puss in its eyes and could barely open them. It was so cold out and we felt so bad for it that we caught it and brought it to the vet. Its currently on antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. Weve called many rescue groups and shelters but no luck. One group is trying to get a foster home for me soon but not sure if it will work out. We already have 2 cats and are not really allowed to have that many in the apt bldg. Right now were keeping the kitten in a big cage in our spare bedroom away from our cats because its sick and not been tested yet for anything. Please let me know if anyone knows anybody who would love this cat as much as any other! Its all grey and will be even cuter when all cleaned up! please please let me know if anyone can help! Im located in union county , nj.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Kitty with Cerebellar Hypoplasia needs home soon!!!

Post by critters »

Crossposting...
jennifer52482

Post by jennifer52482 »

What?
GILL

Post by GILL »

I can take her once she is veted and clear of FLIV. As I have a number of handy cap cats.
Yo can see then at www.jsgill.net under HELPERS and CREW. I am off line on week ends but my contact info is at the bottom of my site Including Phone #.
jennifer52482

Post by jennifer52482 »

ok thank you so much, I will let you know if I still need a home. I have someone looking into a foster home right now but they are also waiting for me to get cleared at the vet. Right now I'm still giving the antibiotics which will be until Friday the 18th. Do you keep the cats until they are adopted? or would you be keeping this one as your own?
grovrat

Post by grovrat »

Jennifer, I assume that your "What?" referred to crossposting, which is sending the same message to multiple groups. If it was something else, then I don't know what. :?
PooMoggie

WE CAN TAKE HIM (or HER) - no-kill rescue group in North NJ

Post by PooMoggie »

Our no-kill, non-profit rescue group based in Westfield in North NJ can take him or her, test him or her for FIV and FeLV, clear up the neurological disability and the URI, and foster the kitten indefinitely until a permanent high-quality home is found. It would be great if you could arrange Kitten's tranport to Westfield (zipcode 07090), but not essential. If interested, please email CauseforPaws [....at....] msn.com; except for working out the transport issue to the foster home or our headquarters, we can act on this immediately, so any help with transport would be apprecited. We will of course also neuter/spy him or her at the appropriate time. Thank you.
CarolC

Re: WE CAN TAKE HIM (or HER) - no-kill rescue group in North

Post by CarolC »

PooMoggie wrote:Our no-kill, non-profit rescue group based in Westfield in North NJ can take him or her, test him or her for FIV and FeLV, clear up the neurological disability and the URI, and foster the kitten indefinitely until a permanent high-quality home is found.
I think anyone adopting the kitten should do so with the understanding that neurological conditions are often permanent...but the pets are loveable anyway. :wub:
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

and if that URI is herpes virus, which is quite common in rescues, then it will never really clear up. It won't necessarily be a huge issue, but can flare in times of stress and need to be managed by giving L-Lysine. Not a big deal, but something someone needs to know. The falling over could just be from being very sick, we've seen that too. CH occurs when the brain does not develop properly and it is permanent but the cats often do quite well and have fantastic personalities. This little guy definitely deserves a chance, glad you took him in and hope the foster home works out :)

Bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"