Young Blind Deaf Aussie in Killeen TX

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
luckydrakes

Saved! Young Blind Deaf Aussie in Killeen TX

Post by luckydrakes »

Calliope was one in a litter of puppies born at a shelter then split between there and a rescue group. She is what's referred to as a Lethal White Aussie. She was born fully deaf and almost totally blind. Her vision doesn't extend past 3 feet from her nose and may not be anything more then shadows or shapes. Despite her handicap, Cali behaves like any other normal dog. She uses her nose to get around and plays quite easily with the other dogs we have. She does tend to bump into objects that aren't solid (screen doors, railings, fences) and will bark at sounds that vibrate into the ground (ac units, construction equipment). Cali is 1 year old, currently unspayed and about 30lbs. Her vaccines, heartworm and flea prevention are all up to date. Calihas a microchip.

I have been fostering Cali since she was 8 weeks old. We never intended on keeping her as long as we did but the shelter she came from burned down. Despite my knowledge of training and patience, I feel she would do better with a family who has more experience with deaf and blind dogs. Our time is also running short. My family has to make a cross country move from Texas to North Carolina. Ideally we'd like to find a permanent home for her before we go but if arrangements can be made with people in Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina or Georgia we can drop her off as we head out to the east coast.

Thank you for any and all help
Stephanie
CarolC

Re: Young Blind Deaf Aussie in Killeen TX

Post by CarolC »

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leth ... sieRescue/

If you post in this Yahoo group, they have a special group for the Carolinas. LWAR-C.

:welcomepigs:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Stephanie,

Have you found a home for this baby yet? I have some leads for you, if not.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Calderon7

Post by Calderon7 »

Has this puppy found a home yet?
Christine

Post by Christine »

Just got an answer about Calie.
Cali had been adopted by a woman in Texas before we moved. I unfortunately haven't heard from her or gotten any updates in the year and a half since then.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08