Wire haired Doxie w/wheels needs new home

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Christine

Saved! Wire haired Doxie w/wheels needs new home

Post by Christine »

Reading about Lucy from her mom, you can just feel how special she is ....not to mention the absolutely adorable pictures. You can feel the love she has experienced and her mom is trying to find her the perfect home out of that same love. Please read to the end and take a look at this sweet girl. I have a special lump in my throat because her face is very similar to my Bailey girl's.

PLEASE CROSS POST TO REPUTABLE RESCUES ONLY!!

Please do not post to Craigslist!

Contact [removed by request]

Any thoughts on finding a home for this sweet little girl?

-----Forwarded Message-----
Sent: Jun 2, 2011 11:07 AM

I know we spoke briefly about our giving up Lucy to a good home. I wanted to ask for you help. If you think there's anyone in your community (or elsewhere) who is a Dashchund lover or has experience with paralyzed pooches who would want to adopt Lucy, please forward them this email. Feel free to post it on any community boards, etc. Thanks so much xoxo

Adorable paralyzed mini wire-haired Dashchund Lucy needs a good home

My husband and I own a disabled 4-year old wire-haired dachshund name Lucy that we are looking for a good home for. It pains us greatly to have to part with her, she is a wonderful, healthy girl and a great success story.

About us:

My husband and I are both graphic designers living in [removed by request]. We are a growing family living in a multi-level house. Since I work at home, I have spent almost every day at home with Lucy as she loves to be with us as much as possible. Now that we have children, it has become increasingly difficult to carry her from floor to floor to be with us and to give her the attention that she deserves. In addition, I'm going back to work outside of the home, and I worry about her spending all day alone.

About Lucy:

Four years ago, Lucy's back legs were paralyzed during a routine spay operation by a reputable vet when she was a few months old. We still don't know what happened in there and all the xrays and MRI's are inconclusive but we do know it was a spinal injury of some sort. The vet would tell us nothing and would claim no responsibility – but that's another story.

We were told by several vets and surgeons in [removed by request] that she would not survive, or that if she did, she would not have quality of life and that we should put her down. We're very glad we didn't listen because she's had a very happy and healthy 4 years since then.

Despite her disability, she is quite mobile and zips around comfortably on her behind or in her cart. She has so much fun out and about and cruises through the neighborhood meeting and greeting everyone, she is an inspiration to everyone she meets - and she meets everyone!

We help her express her bladder and bowels, and it is quite easy. Her stools are very solid because she eats a special raw diet, so the process of expressing her bowels is very neat and quick believe it or not.

Lucy has an incredibly sweet disposition and loves people. She will sit curled in a lap for hours – but also enjoys a good game of chase. She loves to play fetch with her toys. She barks when someone comes to the door, but her barking isn’t excessive. She plays well with both dogs and cats, and is even fearless around big dogs. Other animals seem to sense that she is disabled and treat her with a special tenderness. She is often queen of the room. She loves to travel and is a perfect traveler on both a plane and in a car. She travels with us to the beach in cape cod every summer and loves to take her cart on the sand. She enjoyed swimming in the ocean with her ‘water wings’ and is tireless on walks and hikes.

What we're looking for:

Ideally, we are looking for someone who has the time, patience and devotion to give Lucy the love she needs and deserves. The perfect caregiver would be someone who has any of the following: experience with paralyzed dogs, owns other Dashchunds, works at home, can take Lucy with them to work, or who is retired and who lives in a one-level or two-level home. Ideally it would be someone who is obsessed with Dashchunds and has room in their home and heart for this lovable and unique creature.

We are willing to pay for a year's worth of Lucy's special raw diet (Primal raw nuggets or comparable brand). This food is not only great for her health, it ensures that helping her express her bowels is clean, quick and efficient. We would also help with relocation costs if this is a factor.

Thanks in advance for any advice or leads you can give us.
Attachments
lucy5.jpg
lucy4.jpg
lucy3.jpg
lucy2.jpg
lucy.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Wire haired Doxie w/wheels needs new home

Post by Christine »

I just discovered that the original email address for [removed by request] had an error in it. I have corrected that in the post above. If you tried reaching her, please try again.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Wire haired Doxie w/wheels needs new home

Post by Christine »

I am not surprised that someone just scooped up this little cutie pie!

Hi Christine,

Sorry I'm just responding, I've been offline for a week. Lucy went to a loving home in north Carolina with a woman named Susie, an RN, daschund rescue of n. America rep, and dashchund lover with previous experience with paralyzed doxies. Since you corrected the email address, I've received many emails in the last couple of days with amazing support and offers of homes for Lucy. I wish I could respond to all of them right away but will try to get to them one by one via my smartphone while I'm away. Thanks for checking in and thanks for your help and interest in Lucy's future. I feel very confident in the decision we made to place Lucy with Susie, but will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks and best,
[removed by request]
Hi Ladies,

Yes, I am the person that has this little gal, 'Lucy'. She is one spunky doxie but does have her moments of intimidation, believe it or not! She sometimes acts timid when 'my girls' (have 5 doxies & 1 foster doxie/chi mix) are barking outside, & she will come running to me, guess for 'protection' from those barking dogs!! She can be quite funny @ times.

Does manage to scoot around quite FAST & efficiently inside the house, & uses her cart when we are out in the yard. Fast in it, too, tho'. Her wirehair dachshund personality does show thru @ times, as she sometimes wants to 'curtail' the other dogs activity levels!!

She is adjusting fairly well, tho' still feeling quite insecure in her environment. She was w/ her original family from 8 wks. of age on, & she is now 4 yrs. 4 mos. old, & without a doubt, well cared for & loved by them. So 'Lucy' has been grieving some re' these chgs., but I think doing as well as to be expected.

Be interested in knowing abt. ya'll's special needs animals & any feedback from your experiences. We can all learn from each other, & certainly be supportive when dealing w/ particular issues.

'Lucy' is one very cute little dachshund, & quite smart too!

Susie
?/1999 - 10/25/08