NYC kitty with rear-leg injury/bladder problem?

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Christine

Re: NYC kitty with rear-leg injury/bladder problem?

Post by Christine »

I removed the green checkmark until she is in foster care or adopted so people will continue to check this thread.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

I believe that where this lady from the rescue that pulled Cleric says they have known of a couple of cats like this who did not live that long... that it was probably because the people who had those ones were not experienced "special needs" caretakers.
In fact a very experienced handicapped pets owner replied to that saying:
"(someone) that some of you may know as a long time member of HPBB has been expressing her dual amputee, rear paralyzed incontinent cat for 13 years and has had very few infections."
So I hope that will not be a deterrent to anyone who could offer this sweet, abused kitty a fur-ever home! She truly deserves a loving home! Can anyone here give her that?

Karen
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

A couple of other things:

Please note that her Chip in did quite well(see above) so that when she leaves the vet she should be leaving on a very good note!

The other thing is that I think that the rescue group who pulled her for "us" had thought they had someone to foster her when she leaves the vet - which will probably be soon - but now they have not heard from them, so if there is no one stepping up to Adopt her right away then she will need a fosterer!! Can anyone foster her? REmember, transportation can always be arranged!

Karen
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Jean,

Just wanted to say "hello". You must feel like you are talking to yourself :mrgreen: Glad your internet is working again. I agree, this rescue does have a big heart to have pulled 11 more cats when they picked up Cleric. (We are all wondering about her name.) Sure do hope we can find her a foster or permanent home with the right and knowlegeable person. Some of you "catsperts" need to be cloned!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Well, I was going to reply to a couple of posts by Jean last night - but they seem to have disappeared!? That or I have really lost my mind and am imagining things!?
While I don't remember everything she said, one thing was about whether any leftover funds from her chip in could go to the vet of the person who takes her. I can try to find out about that but I am not sure if there is/ or will be any leftover funds.
And just to clarify- as there has been some confusion - This kitty IS in NEED o 4 ever Home!!

Thanks,

Karen
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

gee, i'd hoped that critters would like to take this one home and work the miracles she has so many times. oddly enough, neither she nor mari have jumped in....

i will take her to foster; i'd rather promise a two or three month foster than forever==but we know how that works out. i think she was going to the vet last friday; i know that i'm a bit confused about whether she's continent or not--but since i know personally that critters and mari and jean have all been able to handle this of condition, i'll know just who to call when i don't know what to do.
Speuter Your Neighbors: Make a Real Difference!

MaryChristine
Special-Needs Coordinator, Purebred Cat Breed Rescue among others
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

i will be glad to foster her; i'll see how well she does. some spinal injured cats do quite well; others are so affected that they do not live as long as we'd like.

but what cat ever lives as long as we humans want them to, anyway? if she's happy, she'll probably be able to stay forever; but that'll be up to her. she is safe where she is, and she will be safe with me. should she start posting herself on this forum, or on petfinder, we'll just have to talk....

christine, could you just move this whole thread out of urgent and into rescue? might make it easier for folks.

(and i'm glad to know that i'm not the only person losing posts and emails and IMs, oh my!

MaryChristine
Christine

Post by Christine »

Wonderful news, Mary Christine!!

I moved the thread to Rescue once she was out of the shelter. I will let you put the green checkmark back once she is home with you.

Thanks again!!! :trophy:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

i'm waiting to hear back; i am also in total panic mode, sort of like the first time someone queens on your bed and you don't know what to do!

like i need a specific shopping list for her: can she use one of the litterboxes, with the very low side; if she IS incontinent, should i bypass litterbox for pee altogether and stay with mari's way, the "pee and poop" on demand strategy. i'm still on the mailing list of one of the sites someone here recommended for kitty pads.....

MaryChristine
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you so much for being willing to take care of - Claire now, right? I hope it can work out for long term but - just keep us posted.
I hope that is just nervous excitement... but, wow! I have never been through that Queen thing you mentioned!
I know everyone here will help advise you, and do you have the phone # for the vet where she's been? They can tell you what they have been doing - although sometimes the people here (like Mari, Jean, Critters etc) have better knowledge of the care needed. Some folks do better emailing directly with you.

Here is an excerpt from someone:

Even though Cleric can go on her own, (I'm assuming that is what is being meant by she is incontinent?), she will be a lot cleaner and will have far less infections, if she is expressed on a regular schedule. Cleric needs to be checked by the vet to see if she is actually voiding on her own or if she is just 'leaking' because her bladder is full and is overflowing. Even if she is going on her own she may not be able to fully empty the bladder and this leads to stale urine in the bladder and a breeding ground for bacteria. It is hard to tell if a paralyzed cat is actually peeing or if she's leaking because she sometimes doesn't move away from the spot she's leaked in and you think that puddle on the bladder is her peeing on her own. If she isn't able to void her bladder on her own and she is actually leaking urine this means that her bladder is continually full of stale urine. It also means that the bladder tone is continually compromised in that it is always fully stretched and can become flaccid once she is begun to be expressed. Expressing is fairly easy to learn (just takes some practice). It takes just few minutes three or four times a day. Then the bladder is empty, there is no leaking and the chances of infection diminish to almost nothing. It will also keep her from being in diapers all the time which isn't good either because cat urine is very 'caustic' and can burn tender skin. "Kitty diaper rash" is very hard to get cleared up.

That was written without a whole lot of background info about Cleric, specifically - but it really sounds right to me.
So when is Claire coming to you? and I hope you will post some photos as soon as you can!

All the Best! :wink:

Karen
Jean

Post by Jean »

MC did you get Cleric?
I agree with what Karen wrote.
Do you know how to express?
You will need to find a vet who has knowledge of paralyzed kitties as well as familiarity with bladder meds and bowel meds. The vet needs to be willing to work with you as a team.
Paralyzed kitties can live many, many years but you always have to be watching them for signs of infection and monitoring their bowel and bladder. I was trying to work with a vet tech this summer who had taken in a kitten with paralysis. She wasn't monitoring his bowel like she should of and he developed a bowel obstruction that took his life. It was so sad and so preventable. You can never let down your guard with a pet with paralysis. Bladder and bowel obstructions are the 2 major killers of pets and people with paralysis.
Do you still have my cell number from Kyle's rescue ? I will go ahead and send you a PM in case you no longer have it.
I do not have email anymore. My computer is old and I could not upgrade to the newer Microsoft Outlook program but I still have Internet.
I would take this little girl in a moment but with all of mine and their vet and med bills I would be putting my own in danger if I took in another one. sigh
Call me./Jean
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

to answer all questions: i can't!

she was spayed yesterday, and i've been pacing all day yesterday and today--the rescue got back to me yesterday to say the vet was running way behind, but they'd let me know. i know they have better things to do than hold my paw, but THIS IS MY BABY!

since they're just doing the spay, i don't have the little one with me yet; my planned transporter may need a substitute as her mom needs open-heart surgery, so we're working on that.

thanks to all for the help, will let you know as things develop. and don't worry, jean, i will happily pick your brain any time i need to!

MaryChristine
TenHouseCats

Post by TenHouseCats »

claire still coming to me; posted more on the other thread.

MaryChristine