NYC kitty with rear-leg injury/bladder problem?

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
TenHouseCats

NYC kitty with rear-leg injury/bladder problem?

Post by TenHouseCats »

is in the city shelter system, which is an awful place to be. http://tinyurl.com/NYC-badly-injured-leg --from the photo at the link, he looks pretty pathetic, yet i get a sense that there's hope in those eyes: he's not given up, so i'm finding it hard to, either.

this is a website for death-row critters, updated daily around 6pm; they euthanize starting at 6am the next day. (it's a facebook page, so just ignore all the comments.)

i can't evaluate the medical info completely, as i'm not experienced with orthopedic issues.

wondering if there are rescues with pull privileges in the metro NYC area, or individuals who could get this kitty into a safe place to be better evaluated.

or if this is one we just need to pray for, and let go.
Attachments
injured tiger.JPG
Speuter Your Neighbors: Make a Real Difference!

MaryChristine
Special-Needs Coordinator, Purebred Cat Breed Rescue among others
TenHouseCats

Re: NYC kitty with rear-leg injury/bladder problem?

Post by TenHouseCats »

he's now listed as "TO BE DESTROYED ON FRIDAY, 4/6/12.

send him lots of light and love, so he can take that along with him.

sigh.

MaryChristine
TenHouseCats

SAFE: NYC kitty with rear-leg injury

Post by TenHouseCats »

she, and eleven of the other cats on the death-row list, were pulled by a local shelter! she'll get the vetting she needs.

MaryChristine
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

To save 12 is GREAT!! :clap:
Jean

Post by Jean »

Oh, MC,
I just saw this one and thought it was too late. I'm so glad that he was pulled !!!!
Did Celene have him pulled ??? He looks so much like my paralyzed kitty Jaime that I pulled off of the highway 13 1/2 years ago. He sure got lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!/Jean
TenHouseCats

update: NYC kitty with spinal-cord injury

Post by TenHouseCats »

no, celene had nothing to do with this pull.

just got more medical info today, and it looks as if she has a spinal-cord injury from a gunshot wound. they're now saying they don't think her legs are gonna get better/regain function, but they have her on steroids to see if that helps. (sounds familiar, critters? cept this one can pee and poop by herself....)

i have offered to take her, but go ahead and contact the rescue if you're interested!

so she's safe in terms of being out of the shelter, but will be needing an experienced forever home.

MaryChristine
Jean

Post by Jean »

I'm glad you have offered to take her. Her having bowel and bladder control is great !!!
Gunshot wound oh, my. sigh
My population is aging and with so many paralyzed kids I just don't have the time or money to care for her.
Glad to see you are up and about.
PS: My email is no longer working. I couldn't upgrade to the new microsoft program so I only have internet. I sure miss everyone. I guess I will have to spend more time on the bb.
Can you believe that little Kyle (quadriplegic fellow that George brought down to me ) that his brother and sister Kyler and Skyler are already 3 years old. Remember you and MEK were my transport coordinators. TTYL, Jean
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you to the person who posted her here and to Christine for crossposting her to me.
I have 4 cats I have had pulled from Death Row in NYC and so had names of, and connections to get suggestions for "approved" rescues to pull from the 3 NYC animal shelters -extremely HIGH KILL.
I was up all night but was able to find someone to pull Cleric. I talked to at least a couple of people who were very hesitant to get involved - not knowing the extent of the Vet care needed.
The group that did actually pull her is Anjellicle Cats

http://anjelliclecats.homestead.com/

and while they have taken her to their vets and plan to set up a chip in - I think they will be looking to get someone to take her asap - so IF you are seriously interested in her please do let them know! At least stand by to help cross post her until she gets a forever home! Poor Baby!!

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Re: update: NYC kitty with spinal-cord injury

Post by critters »

TenHouseCats wrote: just got more medical info today, and it looks as if she has a spinal-cord injury from a gunshot wound. they're now saying they don't think her legs are gonna get better/regain function, but they have her on steroids to see if that helps. (sounds familiar, critters? cept this one can pee and poop by herself....)

e.
Indeed, it DOES sound familiar, but, as we know, they're highly likely to be wrong about "won't get better." Glad they're using steroids...
Christine

Post by Christine »

Here is a Chip In for the little girl - if you cannot donate, please crosspost. Mary Christine, are you taking her? Once all that is settled, I will put her story on our Hearts to the Rescue blog with the Chip In and we'll get even more exposure.

To see her entire story and x-rays and Chip In, click this link. http://anjelliclejudy.chipin.com/cleric ... le-on-4512

The Chip In box belows takes you directly to the donation screen without letting you see above.

[chipin]b28c148f9b95048b[/chipin]
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Christine, Could you post her xrays that show the BB lodged in her spine?

Thank you,
Karen
Attachments
xrays2.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oooh, that looks familiar, but Koi's was a lot lower--the last vertebra before his pelvis.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thank you Christine,
Critters, you had one with a similar injury? How did it do?

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

His legs contracted, but he could walk. He leaked pee while sleeping the rest of his life, but he got bowel control back completely.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Recent update:
Yes, she is about the same & the vet thinks she will be permanently paralyzed. The good thing is that her bladder does not have to be expressed 3 x a day...but she is probably incontinent. This means diapers and it also means increased risk of urinary or bladder infections so she needs a special someone who is experienced. We've had a couple of cats like this and they did not live too long. Cleric did turn out to be a super sweet cat tho. There is someone in Buffalo who will foster but I don't think she wants her permanently. Thoughts?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08