DC METRO - 4 y/o Cat w/HCM will be sent to KILL SHELTER 4/30

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
RenaRF

Saved! DC METRO - 4 y/o Cat w/HCM will be sent to KILL SHELTER 4/30

Post by RenaRF »

Seamus is a beautiful 4 year old neutered male. Seamus has been diagnosed with suspected Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and has had two seizures in the past two years, likely as a result of this. It's unclear to me if Seamus' HCM was being medically, appropriately treated. Seamus' owner actually ALREADY surrendered him to a kill shelter, but we have convinced them to reclaim him to give us some time to try to find a special, loving home for him - we have until 4/30/2012. The current owner does not feel she can provide for him any longer with his current medical condition. He had an "episode" (suspected, but not confirmed to be a seizure) in July 2010. He had a second episode in January 2012 with no other issues in between. It is suspected that if the HCM is properly treated, these "episodes" will not be such an issue. It's pretty clear to me that the current owner did not go further than the suspicion of HCM to a diagnosis, and that no treatment has been begun or given.

Here is what his owner said about him:

"He was found as a stray and adopted very early. Seamus grew up with an older cat (now 15) and has always played rough with him. He can get along with other cats, but the other pet needs to be equally energetic. However, since he's been the only cat in my home since February, he's calmed down a lot. I feel like a dog would cause too much stress. I feel that he is a little bored indoors, but his suspected heart condition (and the way he handles stress in general) hinders our ability to let him explore outside. His new environment would require a decent amount of stimulation. I've noticed behaviors such as kicking litter out of his box and knocking items off furniture when I know he wants to be held, played with, etc... He definitely loves to play, but also loves to relax. He loves to be held, fall asleep with me on the couch, climb on my shoulders, and sleep in my bed. He will often follow me around like a shadow in the morning as I go through my routine. He's very curious and friendly and has never displayed any negative behavior around adult strangers. He was recently living with a 2-year-old who, I suspect, induced the second episode. He can handle younger kids, but the child should be around an age where he or she understands how to calmly approach, talk, and play with Seamus. He doesn't do well when backed into a corner with a screaming 2-year-old. He currently lives with two adults and a 10-year-old and is doing fine."

Can anyone step up for this cat? He sounds like a total doll - active but loving, smart and curious. It's a shame his current "family" can't see their way clear to simply get him appropriate treatment.

Contact me via email at renarf@comcast.net or Ronda Dalton at byt2luv@aol.com if you can give Seamus a second chance!!

PooMoggie

Re: DC METRO - 4 y/o Cat w/HCM will be sent to KILL SHELTER

Post by PooMoggie »

I'm emailing you both about him as well (as the 15-years cat you posted). I agree that he sounds highly adoptable and I or my group could take him, treat him, and find him a DESERVING, non-scum permanent home. Thanks.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

So he's safe? That would be
SO great!!
RenaRF

Post by RenaRF »

I can't seem to edit the original post to change this cat's status. He is RESCUED!!!