MAYBELLINE - Dislocated sacrum/nerve damage kitty in CT

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
RachelsaurusRexU

MAYBELLINE - Dislocated sacrum/nerve damage kitty in CT

Post by RachelsaurusRexU »

PLEASE HELP!
Maybelline was originally picked up by animal control, hanging around a children's daycare center, begging for food and attention. She was in rough shape, with injuries to her upper "eyelid" and only half of her tail remaining, terrible urine scalding on her back end and hind legs and a severe UTI. Whatever trauma she sustained (hit by a car? attacked by an animal?) dislocated her tail. She was sent back from the vet with panalog and antibiotics. Animal control did not treat her after the initial vet visit, instead she sat in a cage for a couple of months and was allowed to deteriorate. When it was realized that she was urinating blood and that her urine had all but burned away the backs of her legs and vulva, she was brought back to the vet who didn't even attempt to diagnose her, yet claimed there was nothing that could be done for her. She was going to be euthanized, so my rescue group pulled her from the shelter and she's been staying at our wonderful vet's office for a couple of months.

Initially, the vet was very hopeful that Maybelline would make close to a full recovery, and she has indeed made a lot of progress. However, I spoke to her again last week and it was not the news we'd been hoping for. After not seeing what she felt was enough improvement in Mayb's function, she consulted with a neurologist. He said that though sometimes it can take months and months, at this point in treatment there is generally enough improvement to indicate that there will ever be adequate nerve regeneration. He feels that she may never be able to actually feel when she's urinating...but we realize that only time will truly tell. Unfortunately, we don't have all the time in the world, as we can't keep her caged at the vet forever.

At this point, we're looking for an extraordinary long term foster/adopter that can provide her with the extra care she needs. Though she needs to be expressed twice a day, once you begin, you can release and she will continue to urinate in a steady stream until her bladder is emptied. She does dribble a bit between expressions, so will likely have to be diapered when roaming the house and could be contained in a large crate or cat condo for reasonable periods of time when not diapered. I'd be happy to purchase that item, a case of food (her stool quality is best on Wellness canned turkey or chicken) and a big old box of diapers for the wonderful person who gives this kitty a chance at the life she deserves. She's incredibly sweet and playful and totally happy, healthy and functional in every other way. She's estimated to be about 2 years old, she's spayed, up to date on vaccinations and FIV/FeLV negative.

If you're interested or have questions, please contact me either here or at adoptPCAR@gmail.com as soon as possible. Please spread the word about her! Her time is truly limited at the vet's office. I'm willing to drive up to 4 hours away or arrange a transport for her if the location is over 4 hours away.

PooMoggie

Re: MAYBELLINE - Dislocated sacrum/nerve damage kitty in CT

Post by PooMoggie »

I can take her if you can get her to me. I'm near Albany. I can give her Wellness, raw foods, and nerve-repair supplements; and can find her a permanent home of high quality. However, I would love to get an honest report on whether she is good with other kitties, adults. I try desperately to avoid fostering adult cats who stalk other cats in the house or do a lot of yowling and puffing when approached by my decidely alpha male kitty, Mittens.

I'll email you as well. Thank you.
RachelsaurusRexU

Post by RachelsaurusRexU »

You are a saint! Transportation would not be a problem. Gmail mobile is giving me problems right now, I'll try to sign in later or write you from my computer tomorrow afternoon. Thank you so much for your response!
PooMoggie

Post by PooMoggie »

No, indeed, I am not at all a saint. If she is a sweet and loving kitty, it will not be impossible to find a loving home for her; some people will be wanting a "diaper baby" and, if your report of her temperament and "people-y" behavior is accurate, we'll find 'em! I have not received a reply to the message I sent the email address you gave in your post, but, if you did not receive it, and you are reading this, you can write me at causeforpaws, my user name for my msn.com email account.