Paraplegic French bulldog seeking forever home

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Remy's Mom

Saved! Paraplegic French bulldog seeking forever home

Post by Remy's Mom »

Hi,
I am the 'mom' of neurologically-challenged Frenchie Remy, and now I am fostering another special needs Frenchie.

Arby is a 3-4 year old, neutered male Frenchie who is paralyzed in the rear legs. He recently had an MRI but unfortunately it determined that Arby is not a surgical candidate. Arby can urinate and defecate on his own, but his control is not the greatest, so he wears a diaper and diaper cover in the house. He is borrowing a cart right now while his is being ordered.

Arby is being fostered in So CA through the French Bulldog Rescue Network. You can read his bio here:
http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/htdo ... /arby.html

It is very difficult to find adopters for paralyzed dogs, so I thought posting here would be of benefit to Arby. Don't worry-Arby is in no danger of being sent to a shelter or euthanized (he was rescued from that fate), but the quicker he can get in to a permanent home, the better for him.

Caring for a paralyzed dog is a bit more time consuming than an able-bodied dog, but it is certainly doable for a dedicated, patient person who has the time or will make the time. I work fulltime but come home on breaks and at lunch, plus my son helps me out, too.

Arby deserves a forever home who promises to care for him for the rest of his life. He's been through a couple of homes already, and he really needs to be able to settle down with a forever family.

If you, or someone you know, is searching for a special needs dog, please check out Arby's bio, or you can PM me here with any questions. Thanks!
cropped.jpg
http://youtu.be/aTpvOD_3Gkg
Erika & Remy
Christine

Re: Paraplegic French bulldog seeking forever home

Post by Christine »

Oh my goodness, what a little character! He is so fast on his own - I can't imagine his speed in a chair. I am sharing this on my Facebook page. If you have done so, would you give me the link - he should have his own page :mrgreen:

Bless you for fostering him and keeping him safe.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Remy's Mom

Post by Remy's Mom »

Thank you Christine. Honestly I am not much of a Facebooker, and our rescue group prefers potential adopters to be directed to the rescue's website. I guess they're not big on social media..

On Arby's bio page, there is a slideshow recounting his MRI day, including a little video showing him walking in a borrowed cart.

Here's the YouTube video:

http://youtu.be/NS1MeNe2SZo
Erika & Remy
Remy's Mom

Post by Remy's Mom »

Yay!!!
Arby is getting adopted! His new family is driving out (about a 6 hr trip each way) and picking up Arby at the beginning of July.
Arby is a very lucky boy; and I feel blessed to have had him as my first paralyzed foster dog.
Erika & Remy