Two paralyzed 8 wk females near San Antonio, TX need homes!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
EC_RRT

Two paralyzed 8 wk females near San Antonio, TX need homes!!

Post by EC_RRT »

Hi everyone!
I have two 8 week old kittens, Honey & Sugar, whom both have paralysis of their back legs. They were born from my cat on September 11th. These two calico girls were the only two that were paralyzed, their two brothers were normal. Yes, I know it is strange that two were born paralyzed and two were not. And NO I did NOT abuse my cat Betty, nor did any one that came in contact with her while pregnant..as I've been asked by some people online. I cried and cried for these babies when I figured out they couldn't walk like their brothers. Our vet believes it was a birth defect with their hips and muscles because they can slightly move their legs. One calico that is more black (Honey) seems to have some form of scoliosis as well. Our vet did not mention putting these girls down now, but he said maybe in the future they would need to be put down, and I do not want this to happen to them, unless need be. They are super happy and very playful! They are incontinent, so they are wearing diapers. I've tried the litter box, and they wont use it. I do not have to express their bladders, with a little stimulation they can go on their own. They just can't control where they go! Oops! They have recieved their first wormer and are on antibiotics becausec of a G.I. infection that left them with slightly bloody loose stools. They will be going saturday for a follow up vet check after the antibiotic is done.

I cannot keep these two precious little ones because my husband and I are in healthcare and our work schedules are very crazy busy. I work 6 nights in a row doing 12 hr shifts and he does 24hr shifts as a Paramedic. These kittens need more attention that I, unfortunitly, can give at the moment. I wish I could keep them so badly, but I know they need more. :(. I have had a few people that were interested in them, then find out about the incontinence and back out.

So these babies need a special home and a special person!
I am located half way between San Antonio and Houston in Gonzales Tx.
Christine

Re: Two paralyzed 8 wk females near San Antonio, TX need hom

Post by Christine »

Good morning and Welcome!

Can you post pictures of these two babies? Pictures always make a difference. One of our moderators belongs to the Yahoo Special Needs Cats group and I will ask her post on there for you once we have them.

Do they need to be expressed or are they continent?

You might also put them on your Facebook page, if you have one.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
EC_RRT

Post by EC_RRT »

My photos on my iPhone are too big it says. Whenever my husband returns from his shift tonight, with my laptop, I can post pictures! They do not need to be expressed, they will poo and pee on their own..wherever they are and it makes a big mess if theres no diaper! They have been having loose stools and have been wearing diapers. They also will go while I am wiping them up, it usually makes them go more. So, I guess in a way, they are continent bc they don't need to be expressed? They just can't use a litter box. Anyway, whenever hubby returns with my laptop, I will post pictures! And I have put pictures on my FB page and I'm in a FB group for owners of cats with paralysis. Just no luck finding them homes.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Has the vet tried to express them ? Are they difficult to express? It would sure cut down on the mess and they might not even have to wear diapers if they are expressed on a regular basis.
It is likely they may have problems with Infection as they age if they are not expressed. The longer urine sits in the bladder the more likely they are to experience bladder infections.
EC_RRT

Post by EC_RRT »

They don't have issues actually going, so they don't need to be expressed. I diaper them bc I'm gone for 12 hrs a night when I'm working and don't want them pooing and peeing and making huge messes and dragging thru it.
EC_RRT

Post by EC_RRT »

Here are pictures of them both!
Attachments
Sugar
Sugar
Honey
Honey
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh my word....they are just adorable! :wub: We will start networking them for you. Please keep us updated so we will know when they have homes.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Jean

Post by Jean »

They are very, very cute ! I'm sure it will be difficult to let them go but with your work situation it is understandable.
I want to go back to what I wrote to you in my earlier post.
When you see kittens with hind limb problems you automatically should think bowel and bladder problems. Some of these kittens will leak urine and totally empty their bladders . Others may leak when stimulated or even by themselves but they never totally empty their bladders. You can't tell if they are totally emptying without monitoring and feeling their bladders throughout an extended period. It is very important for YOU to know whether or not your kittens can totally empty their bladders because that will let you know what kind of a home to look for. If they can empty totally they can go to about anyone who will care for them. But, if they are not able to totally empty their bladders they must go to someone who knows how to express a bladder. Bladder infections and bowel obstructions are the number one killers of cats with paralysis. It is obvious that you care deeply for them. You should leave them at your vet for a day and let your vet monitor them so that you will know if they are able to totally empty their bladders.
Another advantage of a home with someone who can express them is that expressing greatly reduces messes. The kittens right now are probably about 2 pounds. But, when they become adults and are 10 or more pounds it will be so much easier to care for them if they are expressed. I wish you the best in finding them a home.
EC_RRT

Post by EC_RRT »

Thanks for the info. They are going to the vet tomorrow, and we'll see if our vet will be up for leaving them over night one night to make sure and if they can show us how if they need to be expressed. But I am trying my best with these babies. Never had an animal like this, much less two. :(
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi there, what cute babies! By any chance was the mother tailless (Manx)?
Jean

Post by Jean »

I know you are likely feeling overwhelmed but you are asking questions and trying to do the best by them. Don't give up on them. It may take a little time but you will find them a home. There are homes out there that care for pets with special needs where they are greatly cherished. I myself have a 14 year old kitty named Jaime that I have been expressing since I pulled her off of a highway when she was only 6 weeks of age. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. That is why this board is here. Keep us posted. Jean
EC_RRT

Post by EC_RRT »

Thanks Jean, I need lots of help and advice!
And momma cat Betty is a Bombay I believe (all black with green/yellow eyes) but I was never told her breed with we got her.
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I may be interested in adopting one of the kitties if you cannot find a home. I just adopted a 9 year old diabetic from DCIN so am somewhat hesitant. I agree completely with what Jean advised---I have 3 who have hind limb paralysis and actually Harley came from Texas. (I am in Colorado.) They can have a long life if they have proper care. My cat Simon is 10, Glory is 10 and Harley is 5 years old. I express Simon and Harley 3 times a day for urine and the poop comes on its own when I express or pinch it out while Glory is expressed 2x a day and mostly for her bowels. I was told she had a compression injury and her spine healed at a 45 degree angle and she has had issues with constipation so I try to keep her cleaned out as well as giving her cisapride and lactulose. Simon's spinal deformities are severe and he has paralyzed back legs as well as heart related pulmonary issues and asthma, however, that does not stop him from having a full life. He is a registered therapy animal and was honored on Thursday with the Colorado Animal hero award for his service as an outstanding therapy animal. His story is in the book Animals and the Kids Who Love Them. I will try to attach his picture so you can see his deformities. These little girls are beautiful and I know there are individuals out there who will adopt them and love them as they are. Please keep us updated on your progress in getting them a home. Diana
Attachments
Tiva 3 008.JPG
EC_RRT

Post by EC_RRT »

Thanks Diana.
They went for another vet check up today bc their antibiotic hasn't cleared up the loose stools. So they game a different one and when I asked about their bladders needing expression she said that they felt as though they had been emptying. So it didn't feel full. But she did show me how to feel and express. They feel a lot bigger than I thought! She expressed them both and only a little amount came out so she thinks they can empty on their own. But I'm going to start expressing to help with accidents. Also she said I can give them Metamucil or pumpkin to help firm up their stools. Made my husband learn how to express too so he can do it while I'm at work! They are so happy and full of life and so fun to watch them play with eachother! But I will keep everyone updated if I hear about potential homes! Thanks for all the advice!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Try the pumpkin first (no spices) just plain canned pumpkin about a tablespoon in their food. Congratulations on learning to express them. Not only will it make for less messes, but you will be sure they are not letting their bladders overflow.
?/1999 - 10/25/08