CA: Paralyzed Welsh Corgi Needs Help

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
critters
Founding Member

Re: CA: Paralyzed Welsh Corgi Needs Help

Post by critters »

Bobbie wrote:I don't think they'd have to put a catheter into the bladder- just a stent in the urethra to keep it open. That still might lead to more frequent UTI's but possibly not.
?
Bobbie, this makes sense to me. When my Buddy had his urethral spasm/blockage and subsequent surgery to place the urethrostomy tube, his blockage was way high--at the neck of his bladder. It seems like this Buddy's problems should be more on the side of external, which seems like a better thing to me...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

When do your classes start again? Do you get to go home for Christmas break? In some parts of the country veterinary care costs considerably less than others. I would guess that Davis, California would be one of the more expensive areas? If your hometown is in a lower cost of living area the surgery could cost much, much less. That is something I have learned being on the message board and hearing people from other parts of the country quote prices. Of course, then you have the issue of getting him there.

Did they tell you where along the spine the injury is? Did they say L-something or T-13 or anything like that?

How much does he weigh?
BuddyNeedsHelp

Post by BuddyNeedsHelp »

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the late response. I have decided to keep Buddy and try to fundraise the money necessary to pay for his operation. I am going to bring him in to see a urologist to see what exactly needs to be done. He suffers from a T3-L3 lesion. He currently weighs 28 pounds. Although the diagnostic tests and surgery will be more than I can afford, I will still proceed and try to the best of my ability to ask for donations. Thank you all for your help.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Thank you for responding several of us have been worried about Buddy. Good for you for deciding to keep your doggy friend and care for him. It won't be easy but the satisfaction you will receive will more than pay for all your hard work.
Please keep us updated and please let us be a resource to you. We want you to succeed.
Make sure that you post your need for funds in the fundraising section. Have you thought about doing a Chip In to solicit funds?
Bless you for caring so much about your dear doggy Buddy !!! Jean
PS: Try to get Buddy seen by the neurologist ASAP. Infection from a distended bladder can be so dangerous.
Apply for Care Credit it is a great program and gives you time to pay back the loan without interest.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Check out http://www.corgipals.org which is an organization that helps fund extroardinary medical expenses for owned corgis.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
BuddyNeedsHelp

Post by BuddyNeedsHelp »

Thank you, Jean, for your kind words. I love my Buddy A LOT. I thought everything over and I have to make sure that I try everything I can. I will definitely be setting up a Chip In once I get a better idea of how much everything will cost. I know his diagnostic tests are going to run me over a thousand, but he is so very much worth every penny. He has already been seen by a neurologist. There is nothing they can do so they want me to go see the urologist. I am looking into Care Credit. It has been very stressful but I am confident that everything will work out.

Thank you for informing me of corgipals, Bobbie. I realized that Buddy is not eligible for CorgiAid since he is not a fostered pet. Once I get the diagnostic exams done and a better idea of the costs, I will be posting the link in the fundraising section so please keep a look out for that. It is really difficult being a first year graduate student and having to deal with this whole thing. But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :P
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi, how is buddy boy doing? Have you taken him to see the urologist yet?
Have you been working on his Chip In?
Please give us an update!! Jean
BuddyNeedsHelp

Post by BuddyNeedsHelp »

Hi Jean,

I apologize for the late reply. School has started back up so I have been busy running around. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago and it seems like he has improved. I can express him better and it takes less time so the vet suggest I just keep him on his medication for a few more weeks and see if he continues improving. I have not created a chip in account for him yet since he may not need the surgery. I am trying to avoid going through with any unnecessary operations. Currently, Buddy needs to have one of his tooth extracted and I discovered it will cost approximately $1000. To keep him on his medication would cost me $90 per month as well and I have to continue taking him to the vet for check ups. I don't know if there are any charities willing to help cover the expense of caring for a paralyzed dog... However, he is still happy and active! Thank you for asking, Jean!
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Buddy's mom,
Thanks for writing us !!! Glad to hear that Buddy is easier to express. That one thing must make life with your doggy so much more manageable!
Does Buddy make a good study partner ? He looks like he would make a good snuggler.
Wow $1000.00 for one tooth. What does the vet want to do to it?
I give my paralyzed pets Bethanechol, Prazosin and Robaxin. My old vet would have charged me a fortune so I started buying their bladder meds from the human pharmacy. But, it was still expensive though. My new vet who is a rescue vet only charges me $10 to $15 a bottle for the 100 count size. What meds does Buddy take ?
Hopefully, someone else can give you links or ideas for funding.
Thanks for updating us. I think you are very special to care so much about your doggy. I know going to school and working and caring for a disabled pet is a big commitment. But, the rewards you get from caring for a beloved little doggy can be so great. Hang in there Buddy may continue to improve a lot more. Take care, Jean
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I learned one thing about pet meds, that was probably obvious to everyone in the world but me. :oops: We have (steadily shrinking) medical insurance where I work so I never use a prescription discount card because the insurance gives you a card. However, when I went to Walgreens to get meds for my cat, the very nice guy behind the counter signed me up for a prescription card for the cat meds which can't go on insurance. If he hadn't done that, I'd probably still be paying full price. I've paid full price for years on cat meds at Walgreens. I kept asking him which card he used and he wouldn't say, he just said there are a bunch of different prescription discount cards online and he just picked one. Later I got an even better card I had to pay $20/yr for, but a bottle of pills went from $48 to $14.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

i found that if I needed a human med, that my vet didn't carry, (he has very low markup on drugs) then Costco's online pharmacy was the best, if they carried it. For example, 1-800petmeds has gabapentin for $24 per 100 100mg pills. Costco has it for just under $14 with free shipping. Costco in store was not usually as cheap as their online pharmacy, and you do not need to be a member to use it.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Bobbie wrote: Costco in store was not usually as cheap as their online pharmacy, and you do not need to be a member to use it.
Oooo, no membership required?? No kidding??!!!
BuddyNeedsHelp

Post by BuddyNeedsHelp »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have removed Buddy off all three of his medicine as the doctor suggested to see if he really needs it. He has been off his medication for a week now and it seems like the medication actually do not help his condition. I am able to express him although it takes longer than it should. However, he is dribbling out a lot more now and he even sprays out a few streams of urine while I am expressing him. We are hoping that he will not need the medication any longer.Thank you all for asking about Buddy and for your input. I shall keep you updated regarding his condition. Hopefully we can avoid surgery!