Please helo Echo find a new home!!!

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
EchoRoboDog

Please helo Echo find a new home!!!

Post by EchoRoboDog »

If anyone can help find echo a new home please help!! He does not deserve to be euthanized because I don't have the time to take care of him!! We live in Greenwood, IN 46143 and my contact info is (317) 709-1207 and cpalmaATC@gmail.com. Attached are 2 photo's and echo story is below. Please HELP!!!

Echo is a 6 year old disabled puggle who has no use of his hind legs, no control of bladder or bowel, and is cart bound for getting around. This is his story:

While shopping at petsmart for our other dog, we happened upon an adoption day and found an adorable puggle, Echo. He came home with us that evening for a “trial run” (we all knew he wasn’t going back) and has been with us ever since. He led a normal dog life up until 4 years ago. I came home from work to a dog in obvious pain and within hours he lost the ability to use his back legs. We rushed him to an emergency vet, and despite quick diagnosis of a ruptured disc and surgery, Echo was never able to fully recover. While his back legs haven’t worked since, his spirit has never been broken. Two days after surgery, Echo drug himself out of his kennel and over to me on the floor just to lick my hand (I swear it was his way of telling me everything was going to be ok). The past 4 years have been a challenge, but Echo’s spirit and energy have never faltered. This is the reason that posting this is incredibly hard for me. Since Echo’s injury, my wife and I have brought 2 children into the world, and Echo has gone from being the baby to spending far too much time in this kennel due to me picking up a new job and the kids. He has become increasingly cranky and developed a temper around the kids. I love this dog more than I care to admit most days, but I just don’t have enough time to give him anymore and he spends a lot of time in his kennel because of the hours I work. Echo does not deserve the hand he has been dealt, and it is totally unfair to euthanize him because of what has happened, especially when he is a loving, caring, wonderful dog. However, if I cannot find him a home or a rescue, that is what we are left with. He needs a loving hand and someone with more free time than I have currently. Please help as he is a great dog, and it really isn’t fair to euthanize him because of this.
Christine

Re: Please helo Echo find a new home!!!

Post by Christine »

Welcome...Echo sounds adorable and we will help network him. Did you forget to attach the pictures or have a problem? Pictures will help so much to go with your heartfelt story. Also, where is are you located? Doe he need to be expressed? Are his vaccinations up to date. Has he been neutered? Would you be willing to help with or transport him if someone out of state wants to adopt? Have you contacted any pug rescues in your area? Just a note, Craigs List is not an option to network your pet - very dangerous. So glad you found us.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Where is Echo?
Christine

Post by Christine »

Echo is in Greenwood, Indiana. I left a phone message asking Carl to give us an update and possibly put Echo's picture on here so we can help more.

Carl, I found a rescue for needy pugs who covers your area if you want to contact them. http://www.kentuckianapugs.com/ It looks like they do a lot of good.

I am still willing to do a story about Echo on our Hearts to the Rescue blog and reach out to Facebook and Twitter and Specal Needs Rescue Dogs Yahoo Group. Pictures make all the difference in the sea of rescue pleas out there. If you need help downloading them here, just let me know.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
EchoRoboDog

Post by EchoRoboDog »

Hey everyone!
Thanks for your concern and help so far. I apologize for not responding right away, but this week has been incredibly busy for me. I have attached 2 photos this time that I couldn't attach the files last time due to the 256KB file limitation (Most of our photos are taken with a DSLR camera so they are usually 2-10MB). Hopefully they are decent quality. I am also going to put together an online photo album, so once I get that done, I will post the link on here.

Just for locational reference, Greenwood, Indiana is about 10 minutes south of Indianapolis on I-65. We less than 5 minutes from the highway.

Christine-
Thank you for all of your help and concern. I have already emailed Kentuckiana Pugs and will be calling them tomorrow to see what they can help me with. Their website says they are currently not taking anymore pugs, but maybe they can help me get the word out as well. I have also been emailing back and forth with a lady named Kristen from New Jersey about Echo, so we will see if that leads anywhere. We also have him up on RescueMe.org here: http://pug.rescueme.org/Indiana?13-04-20-00096

To answer some of the other questions you asked:
Echo does need to be expressed. On days where I am actually home all day (Sundays), I do it 4-5 times and he rarely has an accident in the house.
His vaccinations are currently up to day, but he is due for updates in June I believe. I will gladly do it earlier if someone is willing and able to take him.
He is neutered, but still likes to be the dominant dog in the house (he used to hump, but now just will put his head over the other dog to show his dominance)
I am willing to travel out of state to find him a home. Like I said, he is still pretty young, vibrant, and full of life, so as long as he is going somewhere safe and where he'll be loved and cared for, distance is not a challenge.
I have contacted a lot of shelters and rescues. Everyone I have talked with is either unwilling to take a disabled dog, or unable because they are currently full.
One last bit of info I forgot on him, his rear right foot only has 2 toes due to an amputation that had to be done due to an infection (long story and the reason I will never leave him with a friend ever again). It obviously doesn't affect him since he can't walk, but it does look strange and the skin is sensitive so it will bleed sometimes when he is out of his cart.
Are there any other answers that would help?

Thanks again for any help any of you can provide! :thankyou:

Trying another way to post a photo:
This was right after Echo got his cart. He doesn't care that he is disabled and still trys to do everything he could do before
Attachments
Echo crossing the Yard of Bricks at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during Mutt Strutt 2011
Echo crossing the Yard of Bricks at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during Mutt Strutt 2011
Just laying around
Just laying around
Last edited by EchoRoboDog on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
EchoRoboDog

Post by EchoRoboDog »

Since the image url worked, here are some more pictures, both old and current.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh my goodness....he is just adorable! Those pictures say a thousand words! I will post him on our blog and put the link here. Keep us posted on the response and hopefully, his new home when the time comes. Just a note, if you are unable to do a home check yourself before letting someone have Echo, you can always reach out to a rescue located near the possible adopter and ask them to do it for you. I'm sorry you have to find him another home, you can tell how much you love him and the pictures tell how much he loves you.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Have you thought about creating a Facebook page for him. His personality just shines through those pictures. "He" could be the one posting.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

I just sent you an email about the blog post and some of the pictures. Check your junk mail if you don't see it. Subject line is
Echo's Story on Hearts to the Rescue.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
EchoRoboDog

Post by EchoRoboDog »

Just thought you all might like an update on how the search is going for Echo's new home. I have had 2 people who I have talked to consistently about adopting Echo, one who lives in Georgia and one from New Jersey. Both seem very interested, and I think we will know within the next couple of days where and when Echo will have a new home!! I can't thank all of you enough for helping get the word out and helping me out with this. It will be very tough to leave him with someone else, but I know he will have a much better life than I am able to give him! Thanks again, and I'll update again once I know for sure where and when he is going!!
-Carl
Christine

Post by Christine »

Prayers for the perfect home for your boy..thanks for keeping us updated!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
EchoRoboDog

Post by EchoRoboDog »

Fingers crossed, but I think we have it all figured out!!!!
We are going to drive Echo to Georgia on June 16th to stay with a lady named Cindy. She sounds like a great lady, has experience with disabled pets (has a ferret that is paralyzed and owned a cat with kidney failure) and has the time to take care of him. Again, I can't thank you all enough for the help, support, and prayers!!! Christine, I want to thank you especially!! Both ladies that were interested in taking Echo in saw ads that you put up, so without you this never would have happened.
I am sooooooo excited and upset at the same time. On one hand, I found someone that can care for Echo, and provide him the time and care he needs and deserves. On the other, I have to say goodbye to one of the greatest animals I have ever met. June 16th is gonna be one emotional day.
Again thanks everyone for all of your help!!!!!!!
- Carl & Echo
Christine

Post by Christine »

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to hear this news. I know this is such a bittersweet time for you, but it sounds like Echo is going to the perfect place. I am glad you are taking him there and will meet his new mom. (Where in Georgia will he be?) I would not be surprised if you have not found a new friend who will share news and pictures of Echo over the years. You and your wife need to take the bow...your love for him gave him this chance at a wonderful new life. :angel:
?/1999 - 10/25/08