Aurelia - paralyzed senior mini dachshund, wheelchair - Whitewater, WI

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
FYI

Dog Aurelia - paralyzed senior mini dachshund, wheelchair - Whitewater, WI

Post by FYI »

https://www.petfinder.com/dog/aurelia-64851405/wi/whitewater/alberts-dog-lounge-wi506/ wrote: Aurelia
Dachshund Whitewater, WI

Senior Female Small Black, Red / Chestnut / Orange

About

Coat length
Short

Health
Vaccinations up to date, spayed / neutered, special needs.

Good in a home with
Other dogs.

Adoption fee
$300.00

Meet Aurelia!

Hey all! I’m Aurelia, pronounced O-real-e-ah. My foster family also refers to me as spicy sausage, or the spitfire! I am about 8 years old, and weigh 10 pounds. I love me some people once I get used to them, but am shy and will bark at newbies at first. I am fostered with several other small dogs, but can be a bit bossy at times. Some of my pals get kisses right off the bat, and some will get a good poke with my nose til we get to know each other. I do love to play and snuggle up once I’m settled in, so please give it some time and we’ll get there. I haven't met any cats or small humans since I've been in my foster home, so I'm not too sure how I would do with them.

I should mention I am also a bit of a crazy driver, as I am not used to my wheelchair yet. I may run my canine pals who walk on all fours off the road, while adjusting to a new set up.
I was hit by a car, and thankfully am doing alright. I just don’t walk like I used to. I am super fast as I scoot around the house, and the rescue will send me home with my cart and these neat things called drag bags. They protect my legs from friction as I move myself around. I lost the ability to control my urine and bowel movements in the accident, but you can bet I have the cutest diaper wardrobe ever! I also get my bladder expressed a few times a day, and the rescue can show you how to do that as well!

I have been sleeping quietly in my crate at night, and promise to greet my forever person(s) excitedly every morning. I love stroller rides during the nice weather, and am well behaved in the car. A little thing like not being able to ambulate normally will never slow me down. I am ready for a life full of love and adventure as your new specially abled best friend!

Albert's Dog Lounge is a specialty rescue focusing primarily on senior and special needs dogs.

Our process includes an approved application, reference checks, a homevisit, and then a meet and greet with the dog. Adoption fee is $300, ($550 for a pair). Learn more about Albert's Dog Lounge, our mission, and adoption policies by visiting Albertsdoglounge.org.

Begin your application process by copying this link into your web browser: https://www.albertsdoglounge.org/apply

WI Dept. Of Agriculture License Number: 474085-DS

Disclaimer: It is VERY difficult even for a veterinarian to tell the exact age of a dog over two years old. From one vet to another, we can get different age estimates on the same dog and they can vary by several years. We are only making an educated guess based on a few factors like teeth, fur color, and overall body condition, but for dogs who have not been given adequate vet care and food, it can be even more difficult. Every dog is an individual, and we do our very best to age appropriately but make no guarantees as to the age of any dog in our program.

Albertsdoglounge@gmail.com