Pascal - orange and white paralyzed kitten - Hudsonville, MI

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
FYI

Cat Pascal - orange and white paralyzed kitten - Hudsonville, MI

Post by FYI »

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/pascal-70123037/mi/hudsonville/community-cat-crew-mi1144/ wrote: Pascal
Domestic Medium Hair Hudsonville, MI

Young Male Medium Orange & White, Tabby (Orange / Red)

About

Characteristics
Friendly, Affectionate, Playful, Brave, Funny, Curious

Coat length
Medium

House-trained
Yes

Health
Vaccinations up to date, spayed / neutered, special needs.

Good in a home with
Other cats.

Prefers a home without
Children.

Meet Pascal
Hi, my name is Pascal, or Pascey for short. I'm about 8 months old now and I still can’t use my back legs completely. What do you mean you ask? An 8-month-old kitten that can’t use his back legs?

Well, let me tell you my story!

When I was about 2 months old, a lady found me and my 3 siblings running around in her yard. She was very concerned about the 4 of us and started contacting shelters and rescues. Her friends all adopted my siblings, the ones that could walk, but nobody knew what to do with me. Most places said it was best to put me to sleep…..but this nice lady told my foster mom that she just couldn’t do that yet. So my foster mom and community cat crew agreed to take me in and see what they could do for me.

The nice rescue people picked me up and brought me home. I was very weak and my muscles weren’t very strong. Even though the nice lady who found me had been feeding me, it was hot outside, and I was constantly watching for bad guys or scary animals. Once they got me home and started really checking me over, they found a scar that ran from the top of my neck all the way to the base of my tail. The scar was already healing but it was clear it was very scary for me. They don’t know how I got injured but whatever it was, caused paralysis of my hind legs.

After a few days of extra snacks and getting stronger, I got an appointment with the doctor to see if there was anything they could do. Well, the doctors took some x rays and found nothing wrong with my spine, hips or anything. Everything looked perfectly normal. So, whatever happened did damage to my “soft tissue” or the spaces between my vertebrae. They started me on steroids and laser light treatments (those were the best, I could just lay there and eat treats the whole time) to reduce the inflammation they felt was keeping me from walking. After a few weeks I had really made some progress, I could move my legs a little but not much. So the doctor said it was time to see another kind of doctor…one that does physical therapy (you know the kind that makes you exercise until you drop in exhaustion). I made a lot of progress while I was going there. I am now able to stand on my own for a few seconds. When I scoot around the floor my legs make the motion of walking even though they are behind me and not under me. We made as much progress as we could at physical therapy. My foster family still works with me at home, and I am getting better at bearing weight. But we don’t think I will ever be able to walk or use the litterbox.

Please don’t feel sorry for me. I have an awesome life. I’m just looking for my forever home. I can do anything I set my mind to. I can climb up on couches (and sometimes the kitchen table, hehehe), climb into your lap for extra special cuddles (my foster family says I give the best cuddles ever) I can chase toys and play with the wand toys. I also like to play with friends. I will need a cat friend to keep me company. They need to be young so they can keep up with me. I can be a bit naughty sometimes, but what kitten isn’t?!?

If you are interested in Pascal there are a few things you should know before filling out an application.

Pascal has rear leg paralysis and cannot not use the litter box. He can urinate and defecate by himself, but he does not know when it is happening. He does very well with his diaper. He may or may not eventually be able to use his back legs. Only time will tell. You must be able to change the diaper on a regular basis and immediately after he poops. This is to cut down on UTI’s and rashes. He is able to urinate and defecate on his own, however he does not know when he is doing it. You will need to monitor for infection as well as irritation. Infection and urine scalding has not been an issue in his foster home, but it something to be aware of and watch closely for symptoms. He often needs his bottom half washed to keep him clean. He is placed inside of the sink, rinsed, washed with a gentle shampoo, and then rinsed off. This is done normally on a daily basis if not more than once a day when needed. He is very well behaved and patient while getting these baths. Pascal MUST have a young feline friend to play with. He will not do well as an only cat. Pascal should not be adopted into a home with young children.

---------
All of our adoptable cats come:

-Spay/Neutered
-Have at least 2 series of distemper vaccines
-Tested for FIV/FeLv
-Chipped
-Dewormed
-Adult cat (1+year) adoption fee $85
-Juvenile Adoption (6mo-11mo) fee $105
-Kitten adoption fee $125

--------
If you have any questions please email:
CommunityCatCrew@gmail.com

You can apply here: Sometimes you have to copy and paste the link.

https://communitycatcrew.org/adoption-application/