Rugar - wheelchair young Doberman Pinscher - Kingston, TN

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
FYI

Dog Rugar - wheelchair young Doberman Pinscher - Kingston, TN

Post by FYI »

https://www.petfinder.com/dog/rugar-59726119/tn/kingston/volunteer-state-doberman-rescue-tn897/ wrote: Rugar
Doberman Pinscher Kingston, TN

Young Male Large Bicolor

About

Characteristics
Friendly, Affectionate, Playful, Funny, Loves kisses

Coat length
Short

House-trained
Yes

Health
Vaccinations up to date, spayed / neutered, special needs.

Good in a home with
Other dogs, cats, children.

Meet Rugar
Do you like fast dobies? How about fast dobies on wheels? I am Bear, formerly known as Rugar, a 2 wheeled, 4 legged speedy 1 year old puppy who is looking for my forever home! I am great with kids, cats, dogs, anything and everything (except stairs). I know my cool ride is intimidating, but don't worry, I have been in therapy to get use of my legs and I make progress everyday. I had a tumor on my spine that was interfering with my back legs, now it has been removed and I have some function but not enough to be wheelchair free. I would love a family who could help me reach my full potential because I am the sweetest (craziest) most fun dog you'll meet! I am available for adoption in the Nashville area. To apply go to VSDR.org/adoption
To see all my crazy adventure click my dog tag below
#VSDRBear22

Here is a letter from my foster mom:

As a foster, it can be tricky to find the fine line between helping a dog find their footing, healing and preparing them for the successful adoption into their forever home and keeping them because they are so darn cute.

Bear is a unique dude. You would expect him to come with a bunch of baggage. Instead you are met with a serious dose of sweet little boy joy and resilience.

Bear wants a person who will include him in all life has to offer. Hikes, car rides, snuggles on the floor, in the bed, in his chair, on the roof and while you cook dinner. He thrives with routine. Potty time, play time, tug time, FOOD TIME and nap time. He is basically a revolving 4 hour time clock. Eat, sleep, play and repeat.

Bear wants a family that sees his wheels as accessibility and opportunity, like he does.

Answers to some immediate questions:
Will he always need his wheelchair ???

Maybe. Definitely for now and maybe not again until he is old and gray. Either way he has a custom built set of wheels just for him.

What is his ongoing care going to look like?

He is currently receiving bi-monthly acupuncture and physical therapy. If you are willing to get him to those appointments, we are going to continue following that treatment plan, per his care team. He still has muscle to grow and strengthen. Add that to normal puppy growth spurts, this boy is basically your pre-teen who can pack it away and still say they are starving.

Will you have support while integrating him into your world?

More than you might want. Lol. His foster mom is quite invested in his care and can be there every step of your journey as you both get to know each other.

Diapers: Forever or for now?

Definitely a belly band dude for now. Growing new nerves is hard work after all. He will tell you when he has to poop though. Trust me, it's a huge breakthrough.

So after reading all of this.... what questions do you have?

#DobermanRescue #AdoptPureLove #NashvilleDogs

adoption@vsdr.org