Handicapped kitten needs a furever home

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
Jrzygrandma

Saved! Handicapped kitten needs a furever home

Post by Jrzygrandma »

Scooter is a sweet, loving 15-week old barn kitten who has a handicap.

His hind legs are bent and twisted. However, he has the use of his hind legs down to the "knees." From the knees to the ankles just dangles, and are rotated so the pads are facing up.

He has control of his bowels and bladder, digs a little hole and squats over it. He gets around pretty well, looks like a little hop-toad flying down the driveway at feeding time.

The vet says it is genetic, and that his spine is probably involved too. His tail is very crooked, Dr. says he has half-vertebra in his tail instead of intact ones.

I had him tested, and he is FeLV and FIV negative. I will have him neutered and get him his shots.

I can't see him surviving outside and I can't bring him in. My house has a step up or down into every single room on the ground floor, and he wouldn't be able to get on top of the freezer where my cats get fed so the dogs can't reach it. And I don't think he'd survive my yearling kitten's idea of play.

I'm seeking a furever home for him before it gets too cold. If I can't find one, I'm going to have to have him PTS before snow arrives. Anyone want to volunteer? He'd be an ideal pet for an older person who doesn't want to deal with the kind of trouble that a kitten can get in. I can almost promise you that he won't be climbing your curtains!
God created dust; who am I to disturb His handiwork?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Handicapped kitten needs a furever home

Post by critters »

I can almost guarantee you Scooter would learn to handle the stairs and that he'd probably enjoy playing with a sibling. Eating on the fridge would, however, have to be modified. Are you willing to consider keeping him? Are you in NJ? (Nevermind--I see you're in NJ)

You need to be commended for looking after this baby!!! :D
Jrzygrandma

Post by Jrzygrandma »

I have 5 indoor cats and a German shepherd who hates kittens. There is absolutely no chance of me being able to keep him inside. My big Siamese, Bubba, just passed away last week from a urinary tract blockage. He weighed 15 lbs. and taught my yearling kitten to play rough! The yearling was raised from birth, she still had the placenta attached when I found her in the yard all covered with flies and dirt. She has no idea how to play like a normal cat. Scooter wouldn't have a chance.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Well, then, try http://www.tabbysplace.org/ in Ringoes, NJ.
http://www.bestfriends.org/ might take him themselves, or they might place him with help from their nationwide network.
Jrzygrandma

Post by Jrzygrandma »

I'll give them a try if I can't find someone from the various boards that I posted this on. I already have someone who said that she would take him rather than see him put to sleep, but she raises birds and would rather not.
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I would be willing to take him. I have two black cats with physical backleg deformities. Simon has paralyzed back legs and it looks like his legs are on backwards. He is incontinent. Rupert has his back legs at the tarsus twisted inward although he gets around just fine and uses the litter box. I am in Lakewood, Colorado---a suburb in Denver. If he could be transported here, I will take him. Let me know. Diana R.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

we can be a foster

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I will help if I can.
Mom is taking a bunch of time off in mid September, starting the 8th. i think she needs to be back by the 13th.

If transport to Dianne R hasn't been worked out by then, scooter is welcome to be a foster here until we can figure out transport of some kind.

There are a lot of kitties here, the house is divided into different areas according to who gets along with whom. I"m not sure which section of the house he would fit best in. Outside is not really an option here, we are across from an elementary school (= traffic and children, both dangerous in our opinion) tho he could get some outside time in a pen we have. The easiest thing would be to put him in the big inside pen mom made for our late handicapped kitty Legolas, it is 4ft wide by 12 ft long. Mom would modify it to suit Scooter. He would be able to meet some of the other cats this way, too. and if that didn't work out, well we would figure out something. Mom is forever redesigning the house to suit us cats.

This wouldn't be an ideal situation for him, I realize, but as a place to stay while logistics are sorted out it could work, we think.
Mom has driven from here to Philadelphia several times, it is an 8 hour trip (we are in central NC between Greensboro and Durham) and long drives don't phase her a bit. so, whereever you are in NJ is probably the same or a little further.

If he comes here, it would be great if he could be neutered before we pick him up. Just one less thing to worry about.

Please keep in mind that Mom will NOT be able to take off any time from mid November to mid January, as she works in retail.

Let us know, we'll do what we can.

Bendy Kitty
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Jrzygrandma

Re: we can be a foster

Post by Jrzygrandma »

Bendy Kitty , I thank you for the offer! I really don't think he will have a probelm being an inside kitty only. He has already learned that if he comes up to the house at close-to-feeding time, I will carry him down to the the feeding station (about 100 yards). The vet thinks his legs hurt him. The less running around he has to do, the happier he'll be. He will be a totally excellent inside kitty for someone, just not me. (Actually, I'd take him in a second if it weren't for the orphaned kitties that think I'm Mommy. He just can't defend himself. And some of the outside Toms are having a problem with him because he moves like he is injured) (prey).

He willl be neutered and have all of his shots before he goes anywhere. I only ask that it be after Labor Day because I try not to drive into Atlantic City while the tourists don't know where they're going, and that's where the low-cost spay/neuter clinic is.

They have been working with me for a couple of years, getting the herd we inherited with the farm TNR. This year, I only had 4 kits. Figures one would be handicapped! I started with 56 (!) and am down to 30.

Sympathy for your Mom working in retail: been there, done that, Sux. I adored most of my customers, but corporate.....bad word!
Jrzygrandma

Re: Diana's post

Post by Jrzygrandma »

Diana, it sounds like you have the perfect home for him, including playmates with limitations like he has! He is starting to be bothered that he can't do the things his sisters do. Could you please join www.911petrescue.com so we can coordinate transport? Here is his thread:

http://www.911petrescue.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=967

911petrescue is who sent me here in the first place :)
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I just registered. Thanks Diana R.
Jrzygrandma

Post by Jrzygrandma »

It's a cool place that we set up after the eBay Animals Discussion Board got touchy about rescues and medical advice. A lot of us got suspended for even mentioning donations or transport. It's only been running for about a month or so. They advised me to come here when I posted about Scooter.

This is an amazing site! I am glad I registered. And so very, very glad you can help my little black guy! We have about 30 feral/barn cats, and I simply cannot catch one of them to get her spayed. I catch one of the other 29, who are all TNR, every time, lol. So I had one litter this year, and poor Scooter was the result. He has a sister with the same crooked tail, but her legs work.

Sister Rainbow Ruthie

Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

I just registered, too

Post by Bendy Kitty »

on 911. Looks like a great forum!
I think Labor day is the first weekend in Sept, which would be the 2nd/3rd?? I hope so. We wouldn't relish the drive in Labor day traffic!!
I'll double check when I"m near a calender.

If you can arrange transport directly from your place to Diana's before then, great, if not we're here as a temporary home.
His sister looks very sweet, glad her legs work.

You've done a great job TNR'ing all those cats!!!!! Godo luck getting momcat.

Bendy Kitty
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Jrzygrandma

Re: I just registered, too

Post by Jrzygrandma »

I won't be driving Labor Day Weekend, believe me! Some time the week after Labor day I will get him neutered and all shots. I am researching if there is a direct flight to Denver. My hubby doesn't think there is one out of AC International, but there might be one out of Phila or Newark. I'd much pefer to fly him instead of having to worry about transport. I worry that something will go wrong, and halfway there he will be with no ride.

Our local Humane Society has a TNR program for ferals, it is $25 for males and $45 for females. I just got a couple of them done every month for 3 straight winters. But I just can't catch Sebastian! (Thought she was a boy, lol). The others are more or less tame, but she is very feral. Every trap I set out has one of the tame ones in it the next morning. "Okay, I ate. Now you may let me out please." :)
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

Let me know what you find out about any flights to Denver after Labor Day. I can pick him up at the DIA airport and I am also willing to give you some money towards the flight if that's what you end up doing. Diana R.
Jrzygrandma

Post by Jrzygrandma »

Someone just posted in his thread on 911 pet rescue that you can only fly pets as carry-on in the cabin this time of year. I'm going to talk to our transport people and see what I can set up.

Cass