IVDD Doxie in TX

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
critters
Founding Member

IVDD Doxie in TX

Post by critters »

Please cross-post!

This email was sent to us at DDS. If anyone can help, please contact her directly. We're trying to find someone to help her with Patches.
If you can help please let me know.

Thanks, please cross-post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Jennifer Pantuso and I have a miniature Dachshund named Patches. My gramma rescued him in the middle of the street from getting run over, and I adopted him about a year and a half ago while I was living with my grandparents. On the Sunday of Labor Day weekend while he was playing with my gramma's Shiatsu he ruptured a disc in his back and I couldn't get him to a vet for 2 days because of the holiday. The first vet I took him to gave him no hope and told me without surgery (which I couldn't afford) that I would have to put him to sleep. I was devastated so, I took him to Dr. Patricia Rife, in Greenville, TX an hour away, for a second opinion. She kept him for 4 days and gave him medicine, and he has improved greatly. He can now walk and run, though he does stumble a little sometimes because I think his back end will always be a little weak. I think the nerves have been damaged, and he can't seem to hold his urination. He has stopped going in his cage but when he is out he doesn't really stop to urinate or to defecate and, unknowingly I think, goes in the house.

Since then I have moved into an apartment, and been diagnosed with Chrohn's disease. I don't have a yard for him to run around in, and with him not being able to control his bathroom functions a majority of the time I'm having a hard time keeping him. I really don't want to give him up, but I've been very sick recently and it's becoming very hard to take care of him like he needs. I would like to find out my options on finding him a home where he can best be taken care of and loved. He is the sweetest dog with the best disposition. He rarely barks and is very affectionate and never aggressive.

Please give me a call at your convenience so we can talk about the options available to me.

Write to Jennifer at: mailto:jdpantuso@gmail.com (remove 2 spaces),
jdpantuso@gmail.com (@gmail.com).