looking for help for a gorgeous almost blind Husky girl

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
grupoapad

looking for help for a gorgeous almost blind Husky girl

Post by grupoapad »

We are one of the first and very young rescues in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico. It started 3 yrs ago with the dream we once would once have a shelter (still working on that). The rescue work has really taking off this year. Slowly people are warming up to the idea of adopting. People also will warn us now about real abuse or neglect cases or injured animals. Lately even the police or firebrigade will involve us to help animals. Still the number of sick, injured or neglected stray animals (and kept pets) is overwhelming and heartbreaking.
Sadly it is almost impossible to find homes for handicapped pets. Almost all dogs are kept outside and only the small ones like chihuahuas and toy poodles would be kept as companion animals.
For more information our website is:
http://www.grupoapad.com/
It is down a lot, we are still looking for a better solution.

I would like to ask your help for one of our dogs. Janice is a 5-6 yr old pure white Husky. Some people called the police because "a wolf was on the loose". They found her: an absolute terrified girl and brought her to the clinic of Dr. Alberto and his wife Patty. These people deserve a special place in heaven for all they have done. She was found to be almost blind and had a big venereal vulva tumor. She has gotten 2 sessions of chemotherapy for the tumor and should be OK after her third. She has not been sterilized yet, that will be done after she recovers of her tumor treatment. Either because of the better nutrition or because of the slowly growing trust (or both) she seems to be following with her eyes now. Was she the first week like a hedgehog: all rolled up in a ball, she is now a real cuddlebug and we "caught" her the past few days even smiling when she got petted. She is still at the clinic and we will take her home to be fostered as soon as possible. BTW this clinic does not only treat and board our babies, they also work very hard on housebreaking, leash walking and socializing. They have never refused an animal and are together with one other vet here the core of our rescue. It is a clinic though so we try to get our babies into family settings as soon as possible.

Here we simply don't have the possibilities to evaluate her more for her blindness. Her treatment for her tumor is not a problem: sadly we have enough experience with that and she should be cured by the time she leaves.
It also will be almost impossible to find a good home for her. As mentioned above, most dogs are kept outside and adapting a house or a yard because a dog has special needs is unheard off. And believe me we tried....

In other words: we are desperate for a forever home for this girl somewhere in the US with people that either have experience with blind dogs or are willing to learn and adapt their life and home for her.

Matamoros is just over the border from Brownsville, Tx. We would be able to bring her to McAllen, Corpus Christi or even San Antonio or any other place in the area of 250 miles of Brownsville. We simply don't have the funds to put her on a payed transport: all funds raised (and believe me it is not much) are being put in the shelterfund, there is only a little fund for medical treatments and a lot of the cost are being paid straight out of the pockets from volunteers or veterinarians. I have done a lot of transports in the Virginia/Maryland area, but don't have any contacts here in the South.

If you think you can help us or point us in the right direction please email:

albertohmvz@aol.com
this is the email of dr. Alberto Hernandez. He has lived and worked in New Jersey for years, his English is perfect. You can also email him for information about her medical condition. or

sheaverbaan@prodigy.net.mx
That's me Nelly, I can also send you photos or newsletters from our group, or

APAD@hotmail.com
that's Sonia, the president of our group, she also speaks very well English.

Please Help???

Nelly Shea, volunteer with Grupo APAD
ETA photos:
Image Image
Last edited by grupoapad on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
critters
Founding Member

Re: looking for help for a gorgeous almost blind Husky girl

Post by critters »

I've sent your link to 2 Texans who might be able to help. Good luck with her!!
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Nelly:

I am one of the Houstonians that Critters forwarded your post to. What a wonderful thing you all are doing to help not only the healthy cats and dogs, but also the help you are trying to find for the special needs furchildren. My partner and I care for special needs cats and as such do not have a lot of 'dog contacts', but will forward the email that Critters sent me to those that I do know in the hopes that this little girl can find the home she deserves.

I tried to go to your website but kept getting a website not found message.

Again, bless you for all the wonderful work you are doing. Rescue is very hard work - there are so many special deserving cats and dogs, and sadly, so few homes. I am happy to read that you are slowly but surely becoming recognized for the wonderful thing you are doing and are getting the support of the community.

Nelly, I'd love to receive your newsletter. I think you can PM me and we can exchange email addresses. Also, I am not sure if I will be able to forward the link to this post to those I hope can help this doggie so I may also ask you to send me information on her in an email and of course pictures will be a big plus. BTW, your English is excellent.

Again, thanks for all you are doing for those who have no voice! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
grupoapad

Post by grupoapad »

The thank is all ours Critters and mumpkees. Yes rescue work is not easy. In Virginia we worked mainly with HART, but transported a lot for other rescues too. Down here the needs are much bigger and resources much less but time after time we find angels and solutions, sometimes at the least expected places.

Yes the website was down again, we are working on another host.

I will pm you my email adress and we will put you on the newsletter list!
This all gives us so much hope!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

What a beautiful stunning pup!
I hope you find rescue and when you do, I can help you with the blindness. I have two blindpups, one of which is also deaf.
If you go to the blind/deaf forum there is a helpful sticky and I have a ton of resources as well.
What a BEAUTIFUL girl!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
grupoapad

Post by grupoapad »

Thank you so much. Yes we already found the forum on blindness and read about your puppies.
My 2 daughters (13, 14) and accomplices in all animal work love especially the idea of going on hands and knees through the house to look for obstackles. They have been doing that for days now in preparation for Janice to come and stay with us for a while. ;-)

I will forward your message to the rescuers when we have them.

ahhh, smiles... the blindpups LOVE when we get on our hands and knees! :) :) :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
Malanut

Post by Malanut »

Oh, this little girl is a beauty and I sent a huge plea out to my fellow husky loving friends! I am praying that we can all help and pitch in and get her into a loving home - or a foster home in the U.S. near a good Eye Vet. There is one in Spokane,WA who I so admire and he is soo good, and there has to be more vets out there for her when she gets a home:)
Thank you so much for all you do - you all are awesome and a HUGE THANK YOU AND PUPPYLICKS from me in Idaho!!
hugs and puppyprayers,
Karen
Attachments
Picture 016.jpg
Karen, dog lover in Idaho
www.sashaslegacy.petfinder.com
grupoapad

Post by grupoapad »

Again THANK YOU Karen!

That puppy of yours is gorgeous too!!
grupoapad

update on Janice/Sandy

Post by grupoapad »

We would like to thank everyone who has helped to find a place for Janice where she has a better chance.
It looks that we have found a lovely couple in Texas that will give Janice a good home and take her for diagnosis and -if possible- treatment for her blindness.

We also have an offer for transport.
As soon as all is final we'll let you know.

Thanks to all your efforts we also have now contacts for international help. All the support has been so encouraging for us. It is not easy to keep faith when the problems are so big and frequent. You all have given us an enormous stimulus to keep going and do more! I am sure a lot of Mexican pets would love to slobber all over you now!
michelleflintagodier

Re: update on Janice/Sandy

Post by michelleflintagodier »

I am so glad to hear this. All the best to you and your rescues. Thanks to all who got involved!!
mumpkees

Re: update on Janice/Sandy

Post by mumpkees »

What wonderful news to read!!!! Thank you so much for letting us know that Janice has found a home. You often read about these little ones and they touch your heart. You continue to think about them for a long time, sometimes, wondering if they were one of the lucky ones who found a home. Knowing Janice has found a home made my Friday!

I'm happy to hear that you have made some great contacts and that you will continue to help the furkids in your community.

Do keep us posted on Janice and let us know when she's with her forever family.

/mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
grupoapad

mission accomplished

Post by grupoapad »

Thanks to everyone and please welcome this new, legal, immigrant to the US. Janice has safely arrived at her new home. We want to thank you all. Karen and Aaron for adopting her, those guys who want to be anonymous, but who we always will remember for arranging her transport and bringing her home, and all the others, too many to name, who have in one way or another have helped. Doing a homecheck, all those who have cross-posted, mailed to groups, forwarded and answered: you all have helped. You have no idea how uplifting this whole experience has been for us. We have gotten suggestions, contacts, donations and especially hope and inspiration. We’ll use it all and we’ll use it well, and we’ll keep all your addresses because there are so many more that need help down here.

I have tried to collect all email addresses but please forward this post to all those you forwarded our request for help so everyone knows: mission accomplished!!

Nelly Shea

Janice, now Sandy, with her knight in shining armor who brought her safely home.[/img]
grupoapad

change of email address

Post by grupoapad »

I have noticed that my prodigy email address has a lot of "blackouts".
Please use this email for me:
nellyshea@netzero.com

the email for grupo apad stays the same: apad@hotmail.com

Re: mission accomplished

YAYAYAY! Ask them to come here, go to www.blinddogs.net, www.blinddogs.com and a whole number of places where we can help them and her adjust!
I am so happy for you and her and her new family!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!