Noodle - Cerebellar Hypoplasia pup needs a home *Update*

For elderly, disabled, and special needs animals in need of rescue or adoption.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
If the pet you posted is rescued or adopted, please click EDIT on your original post and check the Saved Image icon.
If a Petfinder listing has no photo, the pet's page is no longer available—it's possible the pet has already been adopted.
weebles

Saved! Noodle - Cerebellar Hypoplasia pup needs a home *Update*

Post by weebles »

Noodle is a 7 month old spayed female collie mix puppy who has cerebellar hypoplasia. Her cerebellum did not fully develop and she has poor cordination and balance and cannot walk like a normal dog. The wobbles and tremors (head bobs) sometimes increase when she is excited or playing.

She was returned to the shelter due to the fact her human had health problems and was unable to lift her anymore.

When Noodle came to me she was pretty weak but she is gaining strength and is doing a little better at getting around as long as she does not get too excited. When she is excited he has less control over her movements and when she is calm she can wobble from one room to the next and stand still for a few moments. She spends most of her time lying down on the floor or the couch and likes wrestling with her brother Weebles (who also has CH).

Noodle would do best in a home with plenty of carpet to help her keep her balance as she slips on hardwood floors. She really needs a special family who is prepared to handle her condition. She is potty trained but does need to be carried outside (she can't do steps). A family who adopted one of her brothers built a ramp and with training and lots of yummy treats, he has learned how to go up and down the ramp on his own. I believe Noodle might have the potential to get around that well, but will need someone dedicated to helping her learn. I do not have a ramp here so I just carry her outside where she does her business without my help.

To be honest she isn't that much more work than a normal dog. In the mornings I get up and take them outside to potty, which they both do on their own. Then I bring them in and feed and water them, which they eat lying down. Then they spend most the day laying down, sleeping, playing with each other quietly on the floor or with their toys. I put them up on the couch in the evening when we are watching tv just to give them a change of scenery. They go out 2 more times throughout the day and sleep together at night in our living room. At times they seem to be less trouble than my non-handicapped dogs because they really have no way to get into much trouble. :)

If you are interested in Noodle, please fill out an adoption application. Please also include 3 personal references (the application does not ask for it, but it is required). Because of Noodle's special needs, we will require a home visit to be conducted prior to approval. Out of area adoptions are ok.

P.S. If the right family with huge hearts came along and was up for a big challenge, I would be willing to let Weebles & Noodle get adopted together as they are littermates and friends and keep each other company since they pretty much spend all their time together on the floor or on the couch. Weebles' condition is worse than Noodle and we have raised enough money for him to receive a wheelchair when he is full grown. I don't know if Noodle will be needing a wheelchair or not...it could be a possibility and I would be willing to help fundraise for a wheelchair for her if her adoptive family felt she would benefit from one.

Any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread or contact me at shelter @ fdhumane.com. (Remove spaces)

Thanks,

Danielle Breiholz
Board Secretary
Humane Society of North Central Iowa

Photos of Noodle:

Weebles (black) & Noodle

weebles

Re: Noodle - Cerebellar Hypoplasia pup needs a home *Update*

Post by weebles »

I have found somewhere for Noodle and her sister Wobbles. They will be heading to Rolling Dog Ranch in the coming weeks (as soon as it warms up so they can fly)
Christine

Post by Christine »

That is wonderful news!!! Rolling Dog Ranch is heaven on earth for any animal - I'd love to live there!!!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
weebles

Post by weebles »

Christine wrote:That is wonderful news!!! Rolling Dog Ranch is heaven on earth for any animal - I'd love to live there!!!
Yeah, I wish they were willing to take me in too! ;)
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Oh what great news! Thank you for the update!
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Two beautiful, beautiful pups! I was sitting here wishing I did not have my hands full of h-cap, because I would love to caretake a pup like Noodles.
Then I slapped my mental head and thought, Sheesh! Then I wouldn't have Gabriel, Allicks, St.Jude & the Nana, not to mention Ms. InsaneFeralKit.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/