buffalo weaver - Aragorn

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Ilze

buffalo weaver - Aragorn

Post by Ilze »

Hi,I have picked up a baby buffalo weaver approximately 3 weeks ago believing it fell out of the nest. After a couple of days I realised something seems wrong with the legs and feet. I took the bird (Aragorn) to a vet, she told me to make sure it perches immediately since she can feel power in the little feet, it should be able to sit at least. I gave Aragorn a low perch and for approximately 4 days it went reasonably well - I even took her/him to work and made sure it sits regularly.The left foot was able to hold on while the right was lifeless however. A week after that I noticed Aragorn sitting on the cage floor one morning not able to perch anymore. Both feet now were totally immobilised. Aragorn mostly sits flat on the bedding on its "heels" with the feet in front of it as if in a begging position. Both legs sort of grow outside the hip area, with both feet turning in. While there are power in the legs, there is no "life" in the feet except for the "big toes" who move occasionally. And now she has started to fly, but are not able to land or hold onto anything. I am scared she might hurt herself during the landing process. So I went back to the vet. She said something about breaking the legs, but is not willing to try. I consulted another vet. He never saw something like this in his whole life (?) and suggested experimental surgery. He is willing to break both legs and try to allign them, with the understanding it might not work (since it is only a wild bird I picked and not an exotic pet?) The 3d vet suggested that breaking the legs might not be the answer as it might actually be a nerve problem. I am now extremely confused as it seems as if the vets around here do not have a lot of experience or knowledge of bird problems and I don't know where else to go (I live in a rural area) . From what I have read on the website, however, it might be a case of splay legs but then it must be one of the worst cases possible? I was suppose to take Aragorn to another vet on Tuesday morning with the understanding that if we receive yet another nay-saying, to put her down. I so badly wanted for this bird to have a normal happy life and to rehabilitate her. If that is not possible at least for her to live happily. She is now starting to develop a personality and I have grown very fond of her. I carry her with me at least 2 hours per day, and you know, last night was the first night since she's been with us that she didn't cry out when I switched of the light! Any info or suggestions will be higly appreciated. Thanks!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Wow. I am amazed Aragorn has lived this long. A wild bird is extremely difficult to keep alive.

The fact that Aragorn has alived this long is a true wonder and I believe due toyour diligence and creativity.

What about little tiny splints? Could doc fashion something out of soft plastic and mold something that would give support while not being harsh on those tiny legs?

I had a paralyzed cockatiel that had to be pts as she couldn't even crawl out of her mess.

I had a paralyzed cardinal who flew in to a window who died despite a good appetite a few days later.

I am applauding you for being able to accomplish this, because I know it is so very hard to do. And they are so tiny and helpless. When we get to hold them, feed them, care for them, we get to step into the world of the wild animals and it is such a gift.

:hotpink:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:banner: There have been some wild bird experts around the bb at times, at least 1 of whom doesn't come around anymore. I suggest you look through this bb and email, post to, or PM some of them.

I SO agree about the wild ones being so hard to keep alive! Sadly, I never had luck with them, no matter what. :(
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Based on my experiences with chickens, I was told bird bones do not heal very well. I would also be inclined to think it is neurological. This may be controversial, but if the bird is happy being carried around and content to sit in his bed at night, then why don't you clip the wings to prevent flying great distances? I am not sure if you said he could walk but if he can then this may be the way to go. Not all birds fly great distances and are quite content (like chickens and some species of ducks). Another thought is to consult a well known ornithology lab at a university, like the one at Cornell, or a bird-rehabilitation centre where they treat and release wild birds. Folks are quite helpful by email I have found.

Lisa.
Zorro

Re: buffalo weaver - Aragorn

Post by Zorro »

Hello from the home of Jill, the disabled dove. She has a similar medical history to Aragorn, and I certainly appreciate your desire to help Aragorn live as normal a life as possible. Would you kindly let us know if Aragorn is still surviving? Thanks so much!