Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Inmemoryofsebastian

Post by Inmemoryofsebastian »

auntie_lo wrote:Hey Sebastian's Mom,

Do you know about herbal supplements that can be used with birds? The only ones that I have used are black walnut extract, cloves and wormwood. I use those instead of using commercial wormers. But at this time of the year I'm making baby bird food because I can't buy chick food, except in tiny quantities that isn't medicated with antibiotics. I don't want to eat medicated, vaccinated eggs 4 months from now.

My recipe for baby bird food is equal parts goat ration and Science Diet cat chow, with about 15% cracked corn and alfalfa added. I grind up all that into a coarse kind of crumbly stuff. But I would love to know what herbs, anti-oxidants, etc. can be safely used with birds. That's not the kind of knowledge you can get from the USDA.

Thanks!

Hi, I never tried any herbal supplements before, your baby bird receipe doesn't sound bad to me I would add some vitamin mineral supplements if you can or Scenice diet kitten chow instead of cat chow since it's for babies you want protein in there for them, when Sebastian was a baby there was no place by me to buy duck food so for the first couple of months Sebastian ate kitten dry food moisten in water along with lots of vegatable, The duck food Sebastian ate was Mazuri waterfowl maintenance diet....I don't blame you don't use the medicated food not only bad for you but bad for some birds, you would have to do a search on what's not good for your birds......Sharon
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

This topic is so timely! What to feed a wild baby bird.
'Tis the season. Also good time to dust off the mouse house.

My gruel has been applesauce, oats, peanut butter, honey, and enough water to keep baby hydrated.

I had no clue you could feed a bird kitten chow. I have fed kitten chow to wild puppies, who I then expected to meow, but never to baby birds!

Eggsellent to know.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Auntie_Lo,

In terms of dewormers, I use a natural product called DE (Diatomaceous Earth). It is food grade. Basically it is crushed up silica and it grinds up the insides of the parasites. I sprinkle it liberally on the food AND on the hens. It is perfectly safe, and you can eat the eggs.

I would check that the goat ration you use is not medicated. Most goat rations have added minerals to supplement what the goat cannot get from the soil.

Also, if you have chickens, they need access to grit.

You have to be careful about how much protein you give to chicks. Too much can cause something called Angel Wing in which the wings do not fold properly into the body when their adult feathers come in. It looks like the wing is broken. Laying hens need more protein and that is usually when people supplement with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds or kitten chow.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Many years ago I found a little bird (can't remember what kind), and the vet said to feed it canned cat food. :shock: