Duckling Leg Problem

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
eafr

Duckling Leg Problem

Post by eafr »

Hi,
I have a young mallard duckling. She is having problems with one of her legs. She is unstable and can fall over. She swims and can walk but the leg is weak and seems to be behind her 'normal' leg. She has only recently displayed this problem. I have not had her on layers pellets but started her with chick crumb. She eats greens and fruit and has not lost her appetitie. Her companion is a larger duckling, almost a young adult now and can be boisterous, so I have seperated them incase the injury has been caused here. I have had trouble trying to source the stable duck food but have today discovered someone who delivers, so I will put this right. I am unsure wheteher she needs some form of medication, as the other duck shows no signs of illness but is older. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Eafr.
LisainCAN

Re: Duckling Leg Problem

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi Eafr,

Welcome!

It does not sound like something that needs medication or is due to illness. It sounds developmental. I also would not worry about putting the two ducks together as I think the benefit of companionship is essential. Mallards are social creatures. I think you are right on the money to switch the food to duck crumbles. You should however still add the greens since they are essential to Mallards. I am not sure from your description what the leg is doing exactly but it sounds weak for sure. I wonder if splinting it would help? Maybe even just some vet wrap (like the kind they use for horses' legs) would add a bit of support. Hopefully Sebastian's Mom will pass through and offer more suggestions.

Keep us posted.