duck with imbalance and loss of coordination

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
mshappy

duck with imbalance and loss of coordination

Post by mshappy »

We had a predator attack last night. Our male was taken. Our female young adult witnessed it. She was found in the morning . She seems to have lost all control of her balance. she tips to the side when she tries to walk and rolls to her back, feet up. She otherwise is acting normal, eating, drinking(when we offer) and preening. I have manipulated all areas of her body and found nothing broken, sore, out of place.
Is it possible for them to have a sort of post traumatic stress neurological disorder? Has anybody ever experienced this and is it temp or permanent?? :?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: duck with imbalance and loss of coordination

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

We have a very famous duck here, who should be along shortly. In the meantime, I would suggest if you don't have an avian vet (and they are ducedly hard to come by!) to crate and let the injuries heal and the nerves regenerate, if damage done there.

I had a cockatiel whose back was broken in an attack on her cage while she was on the porch sunning. Cat or squirrel, I'll never know. Herr damage was catastrophic, and she was unable to crawl out of her feces. So. I cried a lot.

I think time is the best option if you can't find a doc who specializes in birds. I had a baby cardinal slam into my sliding glass doors. I phoned my vet sobbing (almost 30 years ago) and he flat refused to treat her. He had had a very expensive parrot die on him and wasn't willin to take that risk again. As I talked to him, baby got his equilibrium and flew off.

Small crate, quiet time, and HOPE! I have been in 4 life-threatening accidents. I recovered fully but for the first few days, the docs told my parents I wouldn't. So yes. Time can heal so much.

And if you call your vet and ask for references, they WILL help you, I promise.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

:welcomeblue:

I recently lost my duck, Thelma, to a predator. She had outlived her sister, Louise, who was brutally attacked one night as they both slept in a huge empty stall. Thelma was somewhat subdued but she recovered quickly.

I think in this case, the best thing for me to do is to refer you to a more livestock-based forum. Folks there have seen EVERY kind of weird thing that can happen to a duck, chicken, goat, sheep, you name it. I have learned a lot about my animals from the site. The forums are searchable as well. I think I would start with the poultry one:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

By the way, my ducks were Muscovies. How about you?

Lisa,
Who is missing Thelma.

PS Please keep us posted here as well.
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

There is special group for ducks I am sure you will find someone there with good advice

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Duck ... ities/join
Man does not live by Google alone.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Mshappy,

Any news?
Inmemoryofsebastian

Post by Inmemoryofsebastian »

Hello there so sorry to hear about your ducks did you take your girl to the vets, how is she doing today sorry I got this late, keep us posted......Sharon