Caring for a one-legged parakeet....

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
TNVNT

Caring for a one-legged parakeet....

Post by TNVNT »

I work @ Petco & am about 2 adopt a parakeet who's leg was amputated yesterday. I pick him up tomorrow but, I need help with setting up his cage so he will be as comfortable as possible. Can someone please help me?! Valerie
Friend2Dogs

Re: Caring for a one-legged parakeet....

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I am far from an expert on birds, but I have a conure that I have had for 17 almost 18 years. If it was my bird ,I would put perchs and feed and water cups down low as bird has on only foot to grasp with, less chance of falling and being hurt. See how it goes and you may can raise higher later.
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Spike, my conure uses both his feet and beak to climb, I do not think a bird with out 2 feet can grasp to pull himself up cage to perch if it is up high, also if he fell from high he could be hurt.I think I would put perch at very close to bottom of cage and let him live at bottom of cage instead up high .
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
folkartnmore

Post by folkartnmore »

You have probably long since worked out a resolution to your problem, but maybe I can help someone who has a similar problem. I had a cockatiel that had a spinal cord injury, so her feet didn't work well enough to perch for long at a time. I was able to locate platforms that both fit on the cage side or in the corner of the cage. They might be available from other locations, but I've been able to procure them from DrsFosterSmith.com. See the section on perches, then either Sun Deck or Cage Corner Shelf. They should be placed fairly low in cage to keep bird from falling too far if they overbalance. Hope this helps anyone with these type problems. They are available for large and small birds. If anyone know where else they can be obtained, please notate.
Christine

Post by Christine »

We'd love an update.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: folkartnmore! That should be a big help for future readers with disabled birds!xx