Handicap duckling

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Chrissy123

Handicap duckling

Post by Chrissy123 »

Hello! I have a 5 hour old Mallard duckling with a bad leg. His right leg is fine, but his left leg is bent backwards and twisted up towards his back. Other than the leg problem he seems perfectly healthy and is very active. I was wondering if it is possible for his leg to straighten out permanantley if I were to make a splint for it. I am new at raising ducks and would appreciate any help you can give me! :?
LisainCAN

Re: Handicap duckling

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi Chrissy,

I would try but I am not sure if you could unbend the leg right now without hurting him. Sebastian's Mom might be along soon and she would be the best to answer.

You can also try: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26. Folks there mainly raise ducks as livestock but there are tons of soft-hearted and really knowledgeable people who have gone the extra mile for a duck or chicken.

Good luck and let us know how things are progressing.
Chrissy123

Post by Chrissy123 »

Thank you very much for your help! I will check out the website. I can tell that it does hurt the duckling when I try to straighten the leg out because he wimpers. Therefore I am very worried about using a splint as I dont want him to be in pain. If I am unable to get his leg straightened out I will probably keep him as a pet. I was planning on releasing him into the wild but now I am afraid that I will put him in danger of predators due to his disability.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I think you are right about keeping him as a pet. I had a chicken who had broken her leg. I splinted it and she was never 100% but she got around okay and lived a while longer. She would use her wing on the side of her bad leg for extra support or to get her balance. She was really affectionate too. I think these special ones bond with us when they know we are helping them.

Please keep us posted!