Sick 2 Month Old Peking Duck Mango

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Ducky Help

Sick 2 Month Old Peking Duck Mango

Post by Ducky Help »

we have a pair of Peking ducks since they were 4 days old, Sunny and Mango, Last Monday night Mango got really sick was weak not quaking wobbly so the next day we got her antibiotics and electrolytes. By thursday she was perkier and eating and drinking well but her leg joints were swollen badly and we couldn't even straighten her legs. The leg situation had us extremely concerned so we took her to the vet yesterday and he said her legs may have started to calcify that way from her being sick???

I have never heard of this, we were doing water therapy with her and getting them to move as much as possible, the vet has given us new antibiotics and an anti inflammatory/pain killer were not sure what more to do for her we are stretching the legs out like the vet said and working the joint...

Could this all just be the infection still clearing up?

Help please!
LisainCAN

Re: Sick 2 Month Old Peking Duck Mango

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi there and WELCOME!

I have a Pekin duck and various others. I know generally from my poultry experience that legs are the hardest things to treat in fowl. I have had birds with enlargened joints that do just fine. I also have chickens whose legs I've had to splint who now have crooked legs and as long as there is some traction of the toes and claws into the ground, then they can walk, even if they limp or even hop to get around. I think that you are doing the best thing, which is to manipulate the joint. Of course, the aquatherapy is ideal to keep the joint limber. Because it is a duck, I think that you have a better chance with joint problems because they naturally spend a lot of time in water and therefore not bearing weight. I have a friend whose Muscovy duck has feet which were basically amputated by frost-bite and yet manages. In general, I find fowl to be interesting creatures: resilient as adults yet quite prone to dying suddenly when young.

The only other thing I would add is to make sure you are giving a duck-appropriate diet. I would stay away from layer mash fed to chickens, though it does have the same protein requirement of about 16%, because layer mash does have added calcium for egg strength. I am pretty sure in the States that Purina makes a line specifically for ducks.

Please let us know. You are wonderful for taking care of these ducks so well.
Ducky Help

Post by Ducky Help »

Unfortunately Mango passed suddenly last night, put her little head down and went to "sleep", very sad time but we did all we could so trying to take comfort in that. Both her and sunny were on the purina feed for ducks and we give them greens as treats. He seems to be doing okay on his own and isn't sick at all so were still very confused about how /mango got so sick :( and scared we will get up one of these days and he will be sick
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I am so sorry for your loss.

You really did do everything that you can, especially for a creature many people consider "livestock" and therefore not worth the effort. As someone with ducks, I can tell you how attached you get to them and how special they are.

I have had pairs of ducks in which one failed to thrive and died or got an illness and the other was completely fine. Poultry ailments in general mystify me. By giving good food and lots of love, you are doing the best you can for Sunny.

Please let us know.
jounderw

Post by jounderw »

I am very sorry for your loss as well. It sounds like there was nothing more that you could have done. Hard to hear because animal lovers always feel like they can do more. Sometimes you just have to remember that it was god's or someones plan and that he or she is probably in a better place right now.