Anyone have experience with handicapped reptiles?

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
AmberH

Anyone have experience with handicapped reptiles?

Post by AmberH »

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm lookin for help with a handicapped reptile. I've worked with some reptiles who have special needs before, but nothing like this...I have a 4 month old Asian water monitor named Miyako. Her back legs are paralized due to extreme rough handling during shipping. My herp vet took xrays that show a severe spinal kink right in the area where her tail meets her pelvis. At the moment, Miyako cannot move her tail or hind legs. While we're hoping that when the swelling at the injury site goes down, she might regain at least partial use of her legs, I wanted to start researching care for her, just in case she is permenantly paralyzed. I've had several people in the "herp world" (reptile keepers) who have told me to box her up and ship her back to the breeder, or to kill her, as she isn't worth anything as she is. Personally, I cannot imagine how anyone can be so cold hearted. Miyako is very sweet natured, and even with all the stress she's been through in the last few days, she hasn't so much as hissed at anyone much less tried to bite. Considering that monitors are not always the nicest of critters, I think that Miyako has done very well in how she is handling everything. It's scary enough for babies to go to a new home, never mind being injured in the process!

I'd appreciate any advice that anyone cares to share with me. I just want to make sure I do what's best for this little girl. I'm hoping that when she gets bigger (water monitors can get up to 6 ft.) I can find a used doggie wheelchair for her. I can't imagine it would take too much adjustment to get one to work with a big lizard.

Thanks for any assistance!

Amber
CarolC

Re: Anyone have experience with handicapped reptiles?

Post by CarolC »

There was a handicapped lizard here named lilypoo, I think she was smaller than your lizard, but here is a link showing the wheelchair the caregiver made for her.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 697#p52697

I had a lizard when I was a kid but I really know nothing about them. In a dog or a cat, a tail injury at the location you describe will case incontinence. Are you noticing lack of bowel/bladder control with your pet?

:group:
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

Thanks for your reply. I was very worried about Miyako not being able to go potty. My herp vet says that because of the way a reptile's system is, and because of the placement of the injury, she might not be affected adversely. Because reptiles tend to not evacuate every day, we would just have to see what happens. Luckily, Miyako went potty yesterday. Her urates were a bit hard and her feces a little loose, but considering what she's been through, I don't find that too surprising.
Today the swelling has gone down a bit, and she's been able to move her tail some.

Amber
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It sounds promising, but I wonder if herps can take prednisone or any other antinflammatory to help her spinal cord injury? It's SOP with humans and regular critters, but I know NOTHING about herps.
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

That's what Dr. Hardy has her on, and it's definitely reducing the swelling. It's been interesting having to give her an oral medicine, and it makes me glad she's a baby ...otherwise, I think she might come out the winner in our little daily battles. She does not like the taste of the med, and she's just like any other baby ...she scrunches up her little face and turns her head and tries to avoid opening her mouth.What I find amazing through all this is that Miyako has yet to try to bite or even hiss at anyone yet. She's been really wonderful.

Amber
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Amber,

I'd like to welcome you too and applaud you for not taking the advice about giving up on your pet. I have contacted another member with reptile pets who might be able to give you some more advice. I am glad you have Dr. Hardy. I am fascinated reading about Miyako and the personality you are helping her form. We would love to see a picture!

:welcomeheart:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

It always surprises me how compliant some lizards will be even when they hate what we are doing! And ignore the other reptile keepers. They look at her as breeding stock and always look at the price tag on her head, not the fact that she is still her own little being. I wish I saw more compassion among us, but I think I'm a little different since I rescue my reptiles, not buy them 99% of the time.

Are we sure it was due to the rough handling? It's something I see in baby Beardies and Cornsnakes occasionally and it usually points to bone formation going a little wrong in the egg. Or a combo of the two. They shouldn't have sent her out like that but...oh well. Most of the time as long as the digestive tract is still on course and the muscles for the sphincters are not too affected by the kink the lizard can live a full life. Constipation is the only thing I'd be slightly worried about. And making sure she is getting a really well balanced diet with a good liquid supplement. Odds are that the paralysis will not reverse itself completely, just because the nerves needed are diverted by that kink. But who knows? She has a lot of growing to do and once she starts reaching the 3 foot mark I'd be worried about the stress at the kink site. I used legos for my beardies first wheelchair, and he loved it. It was easier to get a flatter and closer to the ground chair this way. If her tail is moving already, she may just need some rehab in getting those muscles to work.

I'd love to see a picture of the kink, and see how severe it is.

Thanks for letting me know Christine, I've been a little busy and haven't been looking here lately.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
Christine

Post by Christine »

It never ceases to amaze me how much knowlege and support we have in this group! Sabriel, could she put the pill in peanut butter, liverwurst or cream cheese like we can for our furry pets or would that cause problems?? Thanks for helping out1
?/1999 - 10/25/08
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and support.

To respond to a few questions that have been asked....I am almost 100% sure that this is not genetic but indeed the result of rough handling during shipping. The previous owner shared pictures with me of Miyako up and urnning around on all fours, and Dr. Hardy said it did not appear to be caused by genetic defect. There is a break or crack in the spine shown on the xrays, at the point where it appears the spine is kinked and where the swelling was. And as to that, the swelling is almost completely gone, and you can now actually see her little hipbones. Miyako has more movement and muscle control in her tail every day, and she is trying hard to use her hind legs. She will be going back for a follow up with Dr. Hardy in about a week.

Her medicine is liquid, not a pill, so it's not too difficult to give to her at the size she is now. I hold her mouth open and my husband squirts it down her throat. We're using a small syringe (minus needle, of course). Miyako just doesn't like the taste. I did try to hide a dose in her monitor chow (ground turkey, egg, bone meal and vitamins) but she took one small bite and gave me the dirtiest look imaginable. (lizards might not always be the smartest critters, but they definitely have their likes and dislikes...lol)

The biggest issue we have been dealing with right now is that because she doesn't seem to know what is going on with her back legs, she sometimes ends up with them in odd positions, or bent underneath her. The extra long back toes have got bent and I suspect even broken from this. I picked up some of that bandage stuff they use on horses that does not stick to hair or skin, only to itself. I've been cutting tiny strips of it and wrapping her back toes to give them a bit of support and protection. It seems to be working.

As someone who is getting into the breeding part of herp keeping, I can somewhat understand the Breeder Attitude of "if it can't make me money, it needs to go" but I've also done enough rescue work to keep the attitude that they all deserve the same chance at a happy safe life. So as far as I'm concerned, my now "worthless" water monitor is just as valuable as a reptile costing thousands.

The previous owner is going after the shipping company for restitution. He is very freaked out over this whole thing....understandable, as this could affect his good name and reputation in the herp community. As I mentioned before, I know that a lot of people would have just plopped her back into the box and returned her with a demand for a refund. I just couldn't do that to her, and I'm not the type of person to lay blame where it is not deserved. Now if I were to ever meet the shipping employee that evidently slammed the package around hard enough to break the 1 inch thick styrofoam that the box was lined with....well, I believe I could happily jump up and down on the small of his back to let him know how it feels.

But in the mean time, we will just do our best for Miyako and continue with her medicine, her massages, her physical therapy and anything else we can think of that might help heal her little body. I was working at the Discovery Fair in Joplin, MO last Saturday (It's sort of a "alternative health" type event with energy workers of various sorts) and every single person there fell under Miyako's spell. Before the afternoon was over, she had been worked on by a practitioner of healing touch and had some cranial sacral work and reiki. Then a nice long soak in warm water. She was one sleepy little critter after that, and slept most of the evening away, curled up on my shoulder...lol.

If nothing else, the dear little girl will just have to resign herself to a life of being pampered and spoiled.

I'd be glad to post a picture of her, if someone could tell me how to do so. I'm somewhat techniligically disadvantaged...lol. I have no idea how to go about posting a pic here.

Amber
Christine

Post by Christine »

Here you go....the world's best instructions, with pictures! If you have a problem, let us know and we will help.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6764
?/1999 - 10/25/08
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

Two steps forward and one step back. Miyako continues to gain strength in her tail and back legs. She's really trying to use her legs. But then roadblocks get tossed in our way. Yesterday, as she was trying to go potty, she basically inverted herself...I think it's called a prolapse. Basically parts of her that should stay inside are now bulging out of her vent. I've talked to a couple herp people who specialize in monitors, and they say to keep her in a tub of very warm water for a couple of days, and see if the condition corrects itself. If not, back to Dr. Hardy she goes. Unfortunately, the good Doc won't be back from vacation until Tuesday. *sigh* Poor little thing, it's just one thing after another.

I tried to attach a pic, but it says the file is too big. I'll try to figure out how to edit the pic and make it smaller so it can be posted.

Amber
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

AmberH wrote:Thank you, everyone, for your replies and support.

To respond to a few questions that have been asked....I am almost 100% sure that this is not genetic but indeed the result of rough handling during shipping. The previous owner shared pictures with me of Miyako up and urnning around on all fours, and Dr. Hardy said it did not appear to be caused by genetic defect. There is a break or crack in the spine shown on the xrays, at the point where it appears the spine is kinked and where the swelling was. And as to that, the swelling is almost completely gone, and you can now actually see her little hipbones. Miyako has more movement and muscle control in her tail every day, and she is trying hard to use her hind legs. She will be going back for a follow up with Dr. Hardy in about a week.

Her medicine is liquid, not a pill, so it's not too difficult to give to her at the size she is now. I hold her mouth open and my husband squirts it down her throat. We're using a small syringe (minus needle, of course). Miyako just doesn't like the taste. I did try to hide a dose in her monitor chow (ground turkey, egg, bone meal and vitamins) but she took one small bite and gave me the dirtiest look imaginable. (lizards might not always be the smartest critters, but they definitely have their likes and dislikes...lol) Don't they all! :hysterical:

The biggest issue we have been dealing with right now is that because she doesn't seem to know what is going on with her back legs, she sometimes ends up with them in odd positions, or bent underneath her. The extra long back toes have got bent and I suspect even broken from this. I picked up some of that bandage stuff they use on horses that does not stick to hair or skin, only to itself. I've been cutting tiny strips of it and wrapping her back toes to give them a bit of support and protection. It seems to be working. That's pretty typical with spinal cord injury, and wrapping her toes should help.

As someone who is getting into the breeding part of herp keeping, I can somewhat understand the Breeder Attitude of "if it can't make me money, it needs to go" but I've also done enough rescue work to keep the attitude that they all deserve the same chance at a happy safe life. So as far as I'm concerned, my now "worthless" water monitor is just as valuable as a reptile costing thousands.

The previous owner is going after the shipping company for restitution. He is very freaked out over this whole thing....understandable, as this could affect his good name and reputation in the herp community. As I mentioned before, I know that a lot of people would have just plopped her back into the box and returned her with a demand for a refund. I just couldn't do that to her, and I'm not the type of person to lay blame where it is not deserved. Now if I were to ever meet the shipping employee that evidently slammed the package around hard enough to break the 1 inch thick styrofoam that the box was lined with....well, I believe I could happily jump up and down on the small of his back to let him know how it feels. Yeah, the vet and I had a good time discussing all the creative things we'd like to have done to the ******* that shot my Koi.

But in the mean time, we will just do our best for Miyako and continue with her medicine, her massages, her physical therapy and anything else we can think of that might help heal her little body. I was working at the Discovery Fair in Joplin, MO last Saturday (It's sort of a "alternative health" type event with energy workers of various sorts) and every single person there fell under Miyako's spell. Before the afternoon was over, she had been worked on by a practitioner of healing touch and had some cranial sacral work and reiki. Then a nice long soak in warm water. She was one sleepy little critter after that, and slept most of the evening away, curled up on my shoulder...lol.

If nothing else, the dear little girl will just have to resign herself to a life of being pampered and spoiled. My Baby, who has severe cerebellar hypoplasia and who can't walk, is that way. She LOVES to go places.

I'd be glad to post a picture of her, if someone could tell me how to do so. I'm somewhat techniligically disadvantaged...lol. I have no idea how to go about posting a pic here.

Amber
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

AmberH wrote:Two steps forward and one step back. Miyako continues to gain strength in her tail and back legs. She's really trying to use her legs. But then roadblocks get tossed in our way. Yesterday, as she was trying to go potty, she basically inverted herself...I think it's called a prolapse. Basically parts of her that should stay inside are now bulging out of her vent. I've talked to a couple herp people who specialize in monitors, and they say to keep her in a tub of very warm water for a couple of days, and see if the condition corrects itself. If not, back to Dr. Hardy she goes. Unfortunately, the good Doc won't be back from vacation until Tuesday. *sigh* Poor little thing, it's just one thing after another.

I tried to attach a pic, but it says the file is too big. I'll try to figure out how to edit the pic and make it smaller so it can be posted.

Amber
That's a prolapse, alright. So her rectum's prolapsed??
AmberH

Post by AmberH »

More of a vent prolapse, since she urinates and deficates from the same opening. I called to arrange for an appointment with Dr. Hardy, and he is going to come in to see her on Friday. He wasn't supposed to be back from vacation until Tuesday. I really love that man...lol.

Otherwise, she is doing wonderful. Getting more active by the day, and developing such a personality. My husband fed her last night, as I got called into work early, and he said that when he put her food in her bowl, she first dove right in, but after a couple of gulps, she noticed him standing there watching her. She stopped eating, turned around and looked and him, and told him very plainly, "Excuse me, do you mind? I can eat without an audience!" And she wouldn't turn back to her food until he left the room. He waited a moment or two, then peeked around the corner. She was eating again. Until she noticed him. Then she gave him another "Look" and didn't go back to eating until he left the room totally. lol.
Attachments
Miyako.jpg
Christine

Post by Christine »

Good job on the picture! I love hearing about her personality and I think I love your vet too!
?/1999 - 10/25/08