My paralyzed bird

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
charliebird

Re: My paralyzed bird

Post by charliebird »

Thanks Critters;

Charlie was on gabapentin for pain management at the maximum allowed dose for his size in addition to acupuncture/laser treatment2x week. Unfortunately we were unable to continue managing his level of pain after two years and exhausted all options. His legs kept lifting/stiffening up behind his back at a very awkward angle, and amputation was not an option. We had Charlie for a little over two years and spoiled him rotten during that time, but it became clear when it was the end of our time together (he stopped eating his regular food, would only sometimes take treats, was no longer playing/destroying his cage, I actually tallied how many bad days he was averaging compared to the good in a journal).

Charlie was at least 29-30 years old, which is considered very elderly for his species (Blue Crown Conure). I'm now mom to 9 birds (all rescues) one which also has physical special needs, though not paralyzed :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Wow! I'm sorry for your loss. :(
Lori's mum

Post by Lori's mum »

Is Charlie's mom still in this forum? I have a parrot that was injured on Saturday and I have some important questions.
charliebird

Post by charliebird »

hi Lori, yes I still get emails from this group! I saw your private message and emailed you directly!
damag

Post by damag »

Dear Friends:
I have a beautiful male budgie who one day woke up with a bit of dried blood on his foot. My nephew got scared and wash it immediately and applied silver nitrate to his feet toe as a vet suggested me.It became black. With weeks this black big dot became crusty and one day it was dried . I was cleaning his feet when I decided to take the crust cleaning it with peroxide and applied an antibiotic cream. One day I observed he was lifting his leg so I went to a vet and he took a sample of his finger. This procedure left a bigger wound. The results found on the sample was staphylococcus. It has been one week from that procedure and now my budgie is unable to perch with that toe. He can not close it. Due to the fact that he is with staphylococcus I’m cleaning his foot with clorhexidine and applying 1 drop of Enrofloxacin to his foot toe and finally applying an antibiotic cream. I’m worried about his situation . Another vet told me that it seem that the skin is already burned and that it may have nerve damaged. I wonder if it is paralysis due to the wound and I’m hoping he recovers from the wound.

This situation is breaking my heart and I’m getting frustrated, depressed and hopeless. I hope you can guide me on this matter.

I’m looking forward for a reply
God bless you
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Hmm. Birds have such tough skin on their legs that it seems to me that it may be difficult to heal the wound. It sounds like you're doing the right things with antibiotics and topicals.