Bedding for ducks

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
lenelson88

Bedding for ducks

Post by lenelson88 »

I have a pekin duck that I am keeping inside due to it's inability to walk. I have been trying different beddings, for example carefresh ultra which doesn't have any harmful qualities with hay on top for extra cushion. After several days of having the duck on this bedding I noticed him digging for the carefresh ultra bedding and couldn't tell if he was just playing with it or trying to eat it. Not wanting to take the risk I removed the carefresh and lined the cage with paper towels and hay on top. After having him on this for a day, I noticed how much the carefresh was controlling the odor. If anyone has any ideas what would make a good safe odor controlling bedding for my duck this would be greatly appreciated. My duck is 4.5weeks old.
Inmemoryofsebastian

Re: Bedding for ducks

Post by Inmemoryofsebastian »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that your duck is having problems walking, I hope he is eating a good quality food other wise that could lead to problems walking....I kept my duck indoors due to the fact she couldn't stand or walk I found her like that when she was 3 days old she lived to be almost 13 years old, she slept in a vinyl child's playpen it was easy to clean because of the vinyl and I used towels and baby comfortors as bedding there was never a smell since I changed the towels constantly but that is what worked for me....you will have lots of laundry to do...when she was outside in her cage I still use to put towels in the cage and some baby comfortors, I use to use straw but what a mess and it's dusty and can get moldy which isn't good for you or your duck to breath, you have to find what works for you and your duck because each duck that is handicapped have different disabilities...hope this helps...

Sharon
(Missing Sebastian)
Inmemoryofsebastian

Re: Bedding for ducks

Post by Inmemoryofsebastian »

P.S. Yes ducks will pick up anything and eat it, so I wouldn't take a chance with carefresh....