5 day old muscovy cant walk

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
my lil muscovy

5 day old muscovy cant walk

Post by my lil muscovy »

Hey, my name is kim. I have 7 muscovies. Love my babies so much. Momma duck hatched her 5 out of 13 eggs. the last baby that that hatched I noticed wasn't moving around as much as the others. 4 were born on June 11th and the last on the 12th. This lil baby can't walk can't hold its upper body it seems like. Its head hangs low and just falls over. When it eats and drinks I literally have to hold it in my hands an it will raise its head to drink but seems to get tired after awhile.. it seems to be adapting to whatever is wrong with it. I can lay food out an it will scoot to it an lay its head down to eat. Thought maybe it was going to be a late Bloomer but now beginning to think I have a disabled baby. Whatever the case is, this lil Guy has stole my heart an its now one of my children. Can anyone give me any advice on how to care for a disabled duck an if anyone can tell me what could be wrong with this baby? Thank u so much for any advice.
critters
Founding Member

Re: 5 day old muscovy cant walk

Post by critters »

You're in the right place! While you're waiting for replies, you will want to check out the posts about Sebastian, who was also a disabled duck. Probably the best thing to do is to scour this board, because there have been loads of posts about disabled birds, including how to splint bent legs on baby birds. :whale:
Jean

Post by Jean »

Could it be CH ? I have a kitten with CH and I guess ducks can have the same problem? Has the baby deteriorated any since he was born? CH is an undeveloped cerebellum.
FYI

Post by FYI »