Help Needed: Love bird leg deformity

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Stephanie Farrington

Help Needed: Love bird leg deformity

Post by Stephanie Farrington »

Hi, I am lokin for advice on how to help a 3 week old love bird with leg deformities. "Schawb" was born with his legs straight out, his knee joints seem like they are fused ( his legs don't bend), and one foot is deformed. I want to know if there any way to help the little bird become more mobile. Should I try and splint his legs so they are more under his body or what? I want to help the little bird as he seems to be doing well. He has been eating and thriving. I am concerned that he won't be able to walk or move around with his legs. Any advice would be greatly appeciated. Thanks, Stephanie
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Love bird leg deformity

Post by Bendy Kitty »

thinking here.
i know someone with an african grey (think that is what it is) who doesn't have any feet. She rescued him, he had been born ok but chewed his own feet off out of boredom.
He gets around very well on his little stumps, and by using his wings.
We've had several kitties here born with deformities, usually they figure out a way to get around and never know the difference. We think it is easier for them, then for the critters (no, not you critters) who have amputations later.

I'm betting that this little guy will figure out ways to balance, and will eventually learn to use his wings to get around.
Do his toes work to the point of being able to hold onto things? that will help too if they do.
I would keep any perches very low, and have soft bedding in case he falls. I can't remember how old birds are when they start roaming around on their own.

hopefully CarolC will come along with her links, she often has useful links for everything.

headbonks and purrs
bendy kitty
Christy Mullady

Post by Christy Mullady »

Stephanie, I'm not exactly sure what your bird's legs look like, but in case it's "splay leg" or "spraddle leg", here's a couple of sites that instruct how to treat the problem - but I'd certainly check with a vet to be sure. Good luck.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Clif ... splay.html "splay leg (spraddle leg)"

http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/ "Fixing Splay Legs"

http://www.diamonddove.com/Q&A/SplayLegs.html (Q&A site)
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Checking with a vet is good advice, as well as investigating the links that were given you. If all else fails, cart manufacturers have made wheelchairs for some pretty tiny pets, and maybe they could make something that would work for the baby bird!! For that matter, perhaps you could make one. It sure would have to be super light weight, though!!!
Christy Mullady

Re: Help Needed: Love bird leg deformity *LINK* *PIC*

Well, Carol T. got me thinking...a thing I usually keep in reserve. I found a story about a bird with splay leg that you might find interesting.

On http://www.parrotchronicles.com/marchap ... abled2.htm there is a story about a parrot named LuLu. Here's part of it: Some pet parrots are born with or develop legs that splay – instead of extending straight down from the body, they stick out to the side, forcing the birds to waddle unnaturally. Fahlsing, whose site along with a few scattered others offers instructions on how to reverse splay leg (see Splay leg), says if caught early enough, splay-leg birds can be helped. However, some, such as LuLu, a Hahn's macaw, will not respond to propping or binding the legs. Fahlsing tried everything she could think of to help LuLu, including a series of leg wraps and bracing, hoping to realign at least one of her legs, but the treatment didn't stick, and LuLu had to learn to live with her disability.Now she lives in a specially designed cage equipped with ramps and platforms instead of perches and travels in a wicker basket "with hanging toys for grasping," Fahlsing writes on her site. "She is a little green Tarzan, swinging with one foot" from one hanging toy to the next."

On the Exotic Pet Vet site, the vet says: "Hobbles, foam saddles, braces, splints and other methods of support may be employed to correct splay legs."

ORTHOPEDIC HOBBLES - (ask your vet if your bird is too far gone for this...) " personally prefer the yarn hobble described above but there are variations which may prove helpful in certain situations. Leg hobbles fashioned from masking tape, elastic, cloth, bandages, vet wrap and other creative materials should be fastened between the metatarsal bones, hocks, or tarsometatarsal regions. Breeders have been known to use leg bands on each leg as an anchor to tie string or elastic at an appropriate distance for re-positioning of affected legs. A chicks feet can be positioned and taped to a strip of card board or a tongue depressor. Chicks can be taped over a foam rubber pad or sanitary napkin, or placed in a piece of foam rubber. A piece of foam rubber with slits cut to accommodate the legs can provide alignment at the same time as support. To correctly re-position legs and feet, two cross cut openings are cut into the foam brace at distance dictated by the anatomical position and severity of the defect. The feet and legs of the patient are inserted through these openings and taped if needed. Any avian patient with braces and hobbles should be positioned in a support ring or padded container for best results. Supplemental support will keep pressure off the deformed legs and help keep restrained patient in a healthy upright position."

I hope this helps. I wasn't able to find one single example of a wheeled cart/contraption for a bird - but there's probably one out there somewhere! Good Luck!

HOW TO MAKE A YARN HOBBLE
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Christy:
Your info is good, and more helpful than mine! I do know, though, that I read about a duck (maybe on this bb) with a chair, and Eddie's has made 'em for cats and possums. I also remember reading about someone with a tiny little pup that made their own wheelchair out of tinker toys! From the info you found, it sounds that maybe the bird's problem can be corrected. If all else fails, I betcha a chair could be constructed of tongue depressors, pick up sticks (do they still make those?) or something similar. Wheels from a child's toy could work.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Hi Stephanie! Thanks for posting your problem with handicappedpets.com. Your little dove has a condition called "splay leg" that can result from a calcium/vitamin deficient diet/environment in the parents which produces birth defects in the offspring or from using the incorrect type of nest with doves.

Okay, here comes the bad news first: Whatever the cause, it is very difficult to correct splay leg unless treatment is begun within the first week. Your little bird's legs are sticking out to the sides because they are dislocated from the hip. The fact that your dove's knee joints are fused and unmovable and one of the feet is curling in indicates that the condition is advanced. To attempt to splint the legs or feet at this point will cause significant pain to the dove and will not correct the problem.

Now, here's the good news: Doves are very easily tamed birds that have a strong survival instinct. Both of these traits will make it much easier to help this little bird survive despite his handicaps. I know this from personal experience because I have a beautiful dove named "Jill" who has severely splayed legs and contracted toes, yet still lives a quality life. She's almost two years old. Together we've been through some challenging situations with her disability, but somehow have managed to learn to think "outside the box" and develop solutions to everyday problems.

Often vets who see birds with severe splay leg will recommend euthanasia because they think the owner will not be willing to provide the level of care the bird will need, so you will need to be your little bird's strongest advocate for life. Let your veterinarian know that you are willing to try and work through the problems of daily life for the bird. If your vet pushes for euthanasia, go to another vet!

I live in Colorado and would be happy to help you personally if you live within the state, or you can contact me at fiarastone@yahoo.com with specific questions.
Christy Mullady

Carol, I would think that there would be something available out there, but so far I'm not able to track anything down. I did read about the ramps and such just to make it easier to travel around in the cage - and one owner built several little ramps to sort of force the bird into doing some exercises by using them. They also suggest lowering the food and water containers and making the surface of the floor flat. Poor things! And WE think WE have problems! Thanks - coming from you that is certainly a compliment!
Jean

Post by Jean »

In the past, I had a pigeon named Shortcake and a dove named Gracie that both had splayed legs. They were very happy and did not seem to notice there disabilities. I also had a chicken named Charlie that had an abnormal leg due to overheating? in the incubator. He was a school hatchling project in another classroom. All three birds lived for many years. Make sure that you keep your little dove extra clean (I used soft paper towels for bedding and bathed my birds frequently.), work to prevent pressure sores by repositioning and providing a soft environment- sheepskin works well, provide good quality food and don't forget to enjoy them. I will never forget mine. They were a lot of work but they were so grateful and so rewarding to care for./Jean
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Wondering how your little lovebird is doing? Could you please give us an update? Thanks!
Attachments
Animals 7-7-06 009.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You may not get a response; that was posted before the bb went to this format, so the original poster may not be notified.