Other: Bird W/ no chest feathers

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Tiffany

Other: Bird W/ no chest feathers

Post by Tiffany »

Hello guys,
My friend rescued a Conyer (or something like that sorry not a bird person) that was found in a mall parking garage in the middle of the winter in a metal hamster cage with a note. She has had him for a while now and he is at home and comes to her and is happy but he still has not regrown his chest feathers she was thinking that he had plucked them due to stress but its been a LONG time. I was wondering if anyone might know something to do to help his feathers come back (if thats even possible) It doesn't bother him.
Thanks again
Eros & Tiffany
Friend2Dogs

Re: Other: Bird W/ no chest feathers

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Do you mean conure? I have a green cheek conure name Spike ,he is 16 years old. It sounds like the bird may be stressed. A room either to hot or to cold or to much sun light or long hours of bright light can cause this.Is bird kept in a room with alot of noise? I cover one side of Spike's cage at all times so he has a corner to go to if he feels stressed, that may help.A bird usually molts only once or twice a year. Also when molting the bird is under stress and needs a good vitamin. You can find that at PetSmart or Petco, tell them the problem and they are very good about helping. I hope any of this helps you.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I forget to mention the bird should be misted at least a couple times a week with a spray bottle with plain water. That helps feathers and the keeps skin moist. Does the bird pluck his feathers? Chronic pluckers can destroy the follicle and become bald. If only on chest may not be a problem, but when losing feathers birds can become cold. Hope this helps.
Jess

Post by Jess »

This is a really old post i realise, but just incase anyone else gets this sort of problem!

I work for a parrot rescue chariuty here in the UK and deal with SO many birds with plucking problems. Its usually due to stress as mentioned, or bad diet (lack of calcium).

You should always put a good quality calcium supplement in the birds food or water. I've got two conures, and have had several others and they are very active birds who need a lot of interaction with their owners, and the main cause of plucking with them seems to be lack of "outside time". Generally they should have 4 - 5 hours outside with their owners, playing etc as its very important for their mental health. They will also in the wild live in flocks of hundred of birds so if you cannot provide the attention they need, then i would advise getting the bird a companion. My two conures live together, they get on great and are no trouble. They are very happy living together and they preen themselves as they would in the wild which keeps their feathers healthier!

I hope this helps anyone in the future who has problems with birds plucking. Its awful to watch, and usually quite painful for the bird so it does need treating. As Friend2Dogs said, it can damage the feather folicle and the feathers may never grow back if the bird plucks for long enough :(