Jill, the disabled dove

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Zorro

Jill, the disabled dove

Post by Zorro »

I'm attaching a pic of my beloved crippled dove, Jill. She'll celebrate her second birthday in September. Although Jill can't stand, walk or perch, she still enjoys her life with her family...

Jill's website is being created to help those with birds suffering with a condition called "splay leg." When the site is up, I'll post the address.
Animals 7-7-06 016.jpg
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Jill, the disabled dove

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

What a beautiful face! Jill the disabled dove. We are so lucky to have a chance to meet these special lives!
I had a baby cockateil in the 80s whose back was broken and as she was laying in her stuff and unable to move out of it, the vet told me to put her down, which I did. I am beyond glad to see Jill's story, a success story...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
VictoriaCIC

Post by VictoriaCIC »

She's beautiful!! I just love doves!! We have two very tiny baby mourning doves at the wlf rehab center I currently volunteer at...the little dove coo sounds are just the sweetest!

Victoria
linda

Post by linda »

this is so strange. i had been on this site in the past, when i had sydney my st bernard. i had posted some questions regarding her care, and got alot of help. she had passed away one year ago yesterday. but i was looking up some info on doves. yesterday my kids brought home a young dove that seems to have paralyzed back legs. i have not seen any poop/pee and i am wondering if since it has no feeling what i can do. can they be "wiped" like the kittens, and puppies, and other small animals with cotton and warm water to make them pee. i saw the article about the disabled dove jill (my daughters name) and decided i would ask you. i know if it does not go to the bathroom i will have to take it to the vet to have her/him humanely put to sleep. please let me know any info that can help me. my home email is lzastawny7027@wowway.com and work email is lzastawny@indexc.com . thanks so much
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You might want to PM VictoriaCIC because she is very knowledgable (sp), and I don't think she comes by anymore.
Jean

Jill

Post by Jean »

Jill is absolutely adorable. Thank you for caring so much about her.
In the past I have cared for a blind pigeon named Feebee that I found in my yard. I hand fed her for 12 years. We were so attached to each other. It amazes me that she somehow found her way into my yard when she was blind. Also, it is totally amazing that my dogs did not kill her before I found her.
I have also cared for a "splay legged" pigeon named Shortcake. Some children found her and brought her to me. We made her a small wheelchair. She couldn't move it but it got her into a more upright position where she could interact more with her environment. We also used it as a change of position to help prevent pressure sores. We used a lot of sheep skin for this purpose as well as minature pillows that we sewed to use as positioning devices.
I also had a "splay legged" dove like Jill named Gracie. I saw her at a pet store and she was lying in her own filth at the bottom of a cage filled with many doves. I asked about her and the owner said he couldn't do anything with her and that he was just going to turn her loose. SIGH She couldn't even fly. People can be so heart less.
I took Gracie home and she was so happy to have someone who cared about her. /Jean
PS: Let us know when you get Jill's web site up and running.
jovannaphebus

Post by jovannaphebus »

I have a cockatiel who's having surgery on Tuesday he had an accident and his leg is broke unfortunately we are not able to save the leg the cockatiel is 15 to 20 years old.
I would like to find a wheelchair or some Wheels to hook onto something for her to help her get around better does anyone have access to a website or any information that could help me and my bird Mayberry.
Any information would truly be a blessing
Thank you
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. I don't know that I've ever heard much about wheels for flying birds, only land birds like Peking ducks. Chances are you'll have to noodle around and try stuff--inventing as you go. Most of us who don't have dogs, especially normal-sized dogs, are used to such things. :mrgreen: For the smallest critters, even kids' toys may work well enough for the critter to use as a scooter.
vhayes

Post by vhayes »

Jill is a lovely but pitiful bird. Thanks for always taking such good care of it. Hope all good things always come to Jill.