anybody have a disabled ferret

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
weasel_lover

anybody have a disabled ferret

Post by weasel_lover »

I'm adopting a disabled ferret in about 2 weeks and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them? I run a ferret rescue, have much experience with ferrets themselves, and had a semi-disabled one in the past. (As well as having a deaf abused biter now). This one i'm getting was caught in a recliner when he was young and as a result of the spinal injury has no use of his back legs and is weak in the front. I'm getting him a cart, and going to do water therapy- I have a special cage for him too. Is there anything else I should be expecting? Does anyone have any experience with disabled ferrets? I had an old guy who was very heavy and couldn't get around well, I'm expecting something similar. Any advice would be welcomed thanks!
-Heather the Ferret Girl
www.fourcornersferretrescue.com
What happens out of love happens beyond good and evil.
- Nietzsche
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: anybody have a disabled ferret

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, no, I don't recall ever reading about a disabled ferret, but I would imagine physiologically they are similar to a cat except more supple and slinky??
I think water therapy would be fine as long as he doesn't panic in the water? Do ferrets like water? Shows how little I know!
WELCOME!
I think a cart would give him a lot of mobility and I do know ferrets like to move around and quickly. Let us know how this goes!
Best to you.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I don't know much about ferrets in particular either, but it sounds like you'll be PERFECT for him!! Just keep an open mind about his abilities, be inventive about assistive devices, and, above all, let him be a ferret. He'll explore the outer reaches of his abilities and will trip, fall, etc; you'll cringe, and he'll shake himself off and start over.

I hope you'll stick around to help future ferret people with their ferrets with disabilities, too!
weasel_lover

Post by weasel_lover »

Here's his profile on petfinder if anybody wants to see him. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... id=6972843
- Nietzsche
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Pooh is a 3y/o boy with a broken back, he has trouble with his legs he has no use of the back legs and is starting to have trouble with his front legs now. He was a year old when he got stuck in a recliner and broke his back. He's a loving boy and needs lot of extra care to keep him clean and happy. He love to eat his soup twice a day and in the morning he gets 1/16 tsp. of honey. Only he is getting to fat from it so he needs a home that will help him workout. He will not fight with other ferrets but is scared of all animals if they get close to him he will panic, scream and try and get away. He's a messy guy he try hard to get in the litter pan but to move around is hard on him He is losing more and more of control of his legs.

Hi Heather,

I love your avatar! :)

I just read the details on Petfinder and I am glad you are here. It looks like when you get Pooh (cute name) you will be spending some time getting a care routine established for him.

The Petfinder ad says he is losing more and more control of his legs and is starting to have trouble with his front legs now. This makes me mentally run through a list of about 100 things, but I don't know the answer. Normally I would assume a 2-year old break was stable (I am not a vet) because it would have fused by now. Possibly he is losing additional function in his hind legs because he is developing an new problem where the spot in the back that was injured and healed is not as flexible as it was and it puts strain on the spot of his back right next to it (at the junction to the injury). Since it says he is weak in front you have to wonder, is it just soreness and arthritis from overusing the front legs or is it a neurological problem? If he has a neck problem that could make him weak in the front and back. Or is it some other condition that can cause weakness, like kidney trouble, etc.? I'd think he'll need a really thorough check-up.

It says he is messy. They are being honest but not giving you the details. If the problem is merely getting into the litter box, you could try a litter box for disabled pets. It will be much easier for him to get into and plenty big enough for a large ferret to turn around in even if dragging the hindquarters.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Litterbox_for_handicapped_pet

I wonder if they mean more than trouble climbing in the litter box when they say messy. Basically, pets with rear paralysis often have a degree of incontinence. Some dribble urine, and some cannot urinate without a manual assist (expressing the bladder). If your ferret dribbles, expressing the bladder will be a big help in keeping the amount of urine soaking his skin to a minimum. Here is information to acquaint you with expressing the bladder. If you find out he is incontinent don't despair, many of us here have incontinent pets.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

Here is some information on diapers and protective clothing. I don't know if any of the products will be small enough (good thing he is an extra large ferret) but they will give you the idea and perhaps you can improvise.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

I used preemie Huggies with my disabled rabbit, I don't know if they will fit a ferret, but it's a thought. The way I made the Huggies fit was by taking the scissors and trimming the diaper for a better fit (they have a lot of extra paper fringe that isn't needed).

As for the weight, it is true exercise would be good for him, but it sounds like they were overfeeding as well.

Hope something in this helps. Congratulations on your new baby! :)
weasel_lover

Post by weasel_lover »

Thank you! My avatar is my Bezil who passed on last month. He was truely my baby and first rescue. I think when they say Pooh is messy they mean that when he goes he gets it on himself, as was the case with Bezil. If he can't lift himself off and over it, it gets all on his belly and legs. I've been communicating with the shelter caretaker of Pooh and that is what I gather. She says he does not have trouble with incontinence but I'm sure he has some degree of difficulty in that area. I've got the litter part set. What I did with Bezil, and am going to do with Pooh, is use 'puppy pads' in the cage. They are absorbent and he will have no trouble getting in or out of a litter box that way. I just do a pad with some paper towels on top and change often. It works well. I'm not sure about the degenerative part. It could be age, but as I've never really dealt with this I just don't know. I'll take him to my vet when I get him. Whatever is the matter, he will be with me for the rest of his life. Thanks for the advice it really helps!
- Nietzsche
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Well....I know absolutely nothing about Ferrets, but I do have a paralyzed pupper.

Since he will have to scoot sometimes, be sure you check his bum and feet for sores...and PLEASE check in here frequently! We will NEED you to help others with their Ferret issues!

Let us know when Pooh comes home, and how he is doing! What a wonderful new home for Pooh!
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
stacybinnj

Post by stacybinnj »

I know this is an older thread.... how is the ferret doing?

One question though, why on earth would his owners have been giving him honey on a daily basis? Is it possible that the daily sugar might be causing health problems that contribute to his weakness in the front? I have 4 healthy ferrets and they get zero sugar. too dangerous IMHO.
weasel_lover

Post by weasel_lover »

Due to circumstances beyond my control, he is still at the rescue in Utah. I have to find a driver to bring him at least part of the way to me. There is someone who will, but it won't be for a while, I'm hoping I can find someone sooner on some of the pet rescue sites. I believe he is doing well though, he started on aquatic treatment and is regaining some strength in his arms.
As for the honey I really don't know, maybe it started out as a way to get him to eat and just progressed from there?
- Nietzsche
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww, I'm sorry you don't have him yet. PM Karen (Gabriel...Family) and see if her Rescue Rangers might help. :shock: :lol: