Paralyzed ferret gets wheelchair (video)

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The following article was recently posted to the VetPet Partners e-list and
is shared with VetPet's good wishes for all pets and their caretakers.
Information about VetPet is available at: http://www.vetpetpartners.org ."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.nbc5i.com/entertainment/10234970/detail.html
slavetofuzzy

Re: Paralyzed ferret gets wheelchair (video)

Post by slavetofuzzy »

This is encouraging. I have a guinea pig that is losing the use of her back legs. With the lack of cavy savvy vets out there, it is a difficult process to learn what exactly is wrong with her.

We had a dog a few years back (Max) that developed FCE and was paralyzed. We got him a wheelchair from DOGGON Wheels. He eventually had to be put to sleep from other complications.

He had acupuncture and chiropractic done while he was alive. His brother/littermate also has arthritis in his back that affected his back legs, which is treated with chiropractic.

I don't know what it is with us and pets and leg problems! Now, with Fuzzy and her problems I jokingly said to my husband he should fashion her a wheelie cart like Max's-then I happen upon this! I think we can make this happen.

Does anyone on this site have ANY experience with guinea pigs?
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

This may be crazy....but could this be the problem? "Common ailments in domestic guinea pigs include respiratory infections, diarrhea, scurvy (vitamin C deficiency, symptoms include hind leg paralysis)..." I found this at Wikipedia...Not exactly the best source...but heck...it is worth a try isn't it?

I'll post anything else I find.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Another idea maybe ....
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

Also...just a little aside...I volunteered on the Rabbit and Cavey committee. I was alergic to the rabbits, so I worked with the cavey. LOVED them! My favorite were the silkies...lol The Peruvian were a hoot! I could never tell which end was their behind and which was their head! The abyssinians were a little on the nutty side!
What variety is your baby?
cindi

Sage and Misty
slavetofuzzy

Post by slavetofuzzy »

Fuzzy is an abby. I also have a peruvian named Ozzy because he lookes like a rock star with his punky do!

I am also a member of GuineaLynx forum so have been versed in the importance of Vitamin C for these guys. Mine have always had a diet rich in Vit C veggies and pellets (the good ones, not pet store bought). Her vet gave her a Vit C shot "just in case" and I've upped her intake since then but it has made no difference.

Xrays show a touch of arthritis in one hip but not enough to cause this problem. We are thinking it may be a central nervous system issue.

Heart problems are also associated with hind leg lethargy. I'd like to try meds for that but it's hard to convince my vet of the possiblity of that. Maybe since there hasn't been any improvement over the holidays I can get her to prescribe a trial of it.

edited to add: just looked at the link you sent...VERY interesting. I am running the idea by the experts at Guinea Lynx right now. Sounds promising. Thanks!
Last edited by slavetofuzzy on Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Have you tried the increased calcium?

Cindi

Sage and Misty
slavetofuzzy

Post by slavetofuzzy »

Here is a picture of Fuzzy.

Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Oh Fuzzy is quite a cutie! I hope you are able to get whatever is causing her paralysis corrected.
Cindi

Sage and Misty
slavetofuzzy

Post by slavetofuzzy »

I am searching the web for liquid calcium here in the US. Peter Gurney's product is in UK. I notice it's sold here but not at any pharmacy's near me (of course!). We do have a Natural Market that has a ton of supplements. I will check them out later today if they are open on a Sunday.

Again, thanks for the link. I don't know WHY I didn't think of Peter Gurney. I will keep you posted.