Baby lovebirds

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
henlor

Baby lovebirds

Post by henlor »

HELP!

I have five 5 week old lovebirds and it appears that they have a stump instead of the regular legs with toes. Am I worried for nothing? Will the feet develop by themselves. I have read so much on breeding lovebirds and nowhere do they mention this problem of spead about it in describing the evolution of the baby.

Please, somebody help me!
Thank You!
Daniele
critters
Founding Member

Re: Baby lovebirds

Post by critters »

I have NO clue, but I'll try digging up somebody who might know.
VictoriaCIC

Post by VictoriaCIC »

oh my goodness, I have heard of this happening with frostbite, but haven't heard of any cases of it happening since birth. The one case I know of that has frostbite is able to function, but has to have his perches and cage set up specifically for his needs. (I read about this case on petfinder a while back. I may be wrong here, but I believe this little one was up for adoption with an avian rescue group in New Jersey called Wings of Hope. You might want to try contacting them to see?) Unfortunately I dont have any advice or recommendations personallly having had no experience with this, but I would highly recommend you reaching out to any avian rescue groups or sanctuaries in your area. Where are you located? When I first got my cockatiels, I reached out via email to a local avian rescue group and the help I received was wonderful. Many rescue groups believe strongly in community assistance and education and I am sure someone will be able to help with your situation. Also, have you contacted or been in touch with an avian vet in your area? I would recommend that as well. I hope things will work out for these little cuties!

Victoria
Cats in Crisis
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Hi! How are the birds moving around, on their stumps? I know people who are familiar with lovebirds; I'll ask them and get back to this board.
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Hi! I've checked with people more expert in lovebirds than I, and they've said that the reasons why your lovebirds have developed without normal legs or feet can be varied. Sometimes it's a congenital birth defect, or may be due to improper nesting materials that become wrapped around the feet and legs, or sometimes the parents will chew off the feet of the little birds for some unknown reason. In any event, at this point your little birds will not "grow" feet. However, the good news is that they will probably adjust to life the way they are. Hopefully they are already moving around in the nest/cage and are learning their own way of ambulating. Perching may require a special perching material to prevent abrasions on the ends of the stumps.

If you have some pics of the little guys that would be great! Please let us know how it's going.
henlor

Post by henlor »

Thank you ever so much for your quick response to my questions. My birds are moving around just fine on those stumps and seem to compensate with their beeks. I will send pictures soon. They are beautiful healthy Fischer lovebirds and one of the babies is blue with a dark head. They are 6 weeks old and are still in their nests. I had put carefresh in the nesting box over special sand paper at the bottom to prevent sprayed legs. I plan to wean them away from the parents next week. In the interim, I am trying to think of creative ways to accomodate the babies with their special problem. A congenital desease for all five....Could that really happen?....
Thanx again, soon!
Daniele
P.S. I live mid way between Ottawa and Montreal in Canada. Sixty miles either way.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Years ago, I lost my baby cockatiel w/broken back. Of course that was 15 years ago, and things have come so far. But he was laying in his waste, unable to do anything but lay in it. So he was euthanized, which shocked my co-workers. They could not believe I spent money on a baby cockatiel, when I could have done the job myself. So YES, we have come light years.
If they cannot stand, you will have the same problem. Sebastian the duck has fashioned legs and feet, and I have seen extensions that work on television. Extensions of legs and feet that are flat. If they cannot perch, I do not believe that is fatal, but they must be able to walk on their feet. Visit Sebastian's story here on handicappedpets dot com photo gallery.
He is beautiful and a wonder.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Your little birds sound wonderful, and so glad to hear that they're learning to move around on their own. It may always be a mystery why all five developed without normal legs and feet, but sounds like you certainly took excellent care of them! The links listed above have great ideas for creating a living environment that will help to prevent complications and still satisfy their bird instincts.

When my little dove, Jill, developed severe splay legs due to nutritional deficiencies, it was the beginning of a huge learning experience for me. Since her disability wasn't correctable with splinting, Jill has learned to maintain an upright position in a "birdstand" I made, without putting any weight on her legs and feet. If you find that one of your birds simply cannot ambulate and is trying to drag himself around with his wings to the food and water containers, a birdstand may be an idea to try. I'd be glad to help make one for you.