Linda's Disabled Dove

Please post any questions here about problems that are specific to birds or exotic pets, such as llamas and reptiles.
Zorro

Linda's Disabled Dove

Post by Zorro »

Hi Linda! I'm replying to your e-mail on this website because it may help someone else who finds a disabled dove. I'm assuming the dove your children found is wild, and doesn't belong to a human owner already.

Although wild birds are hardy and have a strong survival instinct, they can be difficult to aid without professional help. A bird rehabilitator or certified avian vet would be your best resource for help. If you don't have these people available to you, I would take the dove to your local vet as soon as possible. Be aware that some veterinarians won't treat wild birds and prefer you take the bird to a wildlife rehabilitator.

Until you are able to find professional help, this is what I would do: because the bird is a dove, wrap him gently in a soft, terrycloth towel, leaving his head exposed so he can see. Find a cardboard box at least one foot by one foot and place him gently inside. This will increase his body temperature and provide a safer way for you to handle him. Because he's not producing any droppings, I would guess he hasn't had anything to eat or drink in awhile. Put some water and food (finch type seed or a finely chopped hard boiled egg) in small containers and hold it up to his beak for him to reach. You will need to do this about every couple of hours during the day until the dove can see a vet.

There could be several reasons why he doesn't seem to be able to move his legs. He may have a severe calcium deficiency or digestive disorder that affects his ability to absorb nutrients. He may have incurred a back injury or bite injury from another animal. He may have an acute infection, which can produce neurological problems in birds, such as the inability to walk or perch. An acute infection can also produce seizures. If you have other birds in your house, you want to be careful to keep this bird away from them in another part of your house, such as the laundry room or garage. Be sure to wash your hands after you are around or have handled this dove so you don't pass on the infection to other birds. It's good to know that bird infections are rarely contagious to humans.

You are such a kind person to care for a little dove! Whatever happens, thanks from the bottom of my heart for trying! If there are more questions you have, please post to this website. Let us know if the little dove survives.