Urinary cath removes today, won’t pee and whining

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Lolalab

Urinary cath removes today, won’t pee and whining

Post by Lolalab »

My lab Lola had urinary cath for 10 weeks after IVDD surgery, removed today. Can’t pee, full bladder, whining nonstop for 3 hours. I can’t express her. Vet said to wait until tomorrow. What can I do?
CarolC

Re: Urinary cath removes today, won’t pee and whining

Post by CarolC »

If you are able to take her outside, I would try this method.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3135&p=14385#p14385

There are videos showing many other methods at the end of this article if you scroll to the bottom. You may see another one that seems more appropriate to you.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

It will not hurt if she has to wait till tomorrow, though the whining is hard to endure when you want to help. It is a common situation. Somehow dogs survive our learning curve, as they also learn how to help you help them. It will be best to have her on bedding that will not become soaked in case she leaks. Don't worry, it usually takes a number of days of inadequate emptying before you have to worry about infection. That does not happen overnight. Please post back how it goes.

:angel:
Lolalab

Re: Urinary cath removed today, won’t pee and whining

Post by Lolalab »

We went to the vet at 7p, they expressed her bladder to about 6cm. They said she was very tense/painful. Came home, still whining/panting, went back at 11p, they expressed her again, abdominal xray showed a lot of gas and stool. Sent home on flagyl (for possible GI virus? which doesn't make sense to me), gabapentin (they think she is starting to feel her bladder get full, new sensation causing distress), and prazosin to help relax the bladder. Also gave her hydromorphone x1 in the hospital. She came home drugged and slept for 2 hours, then whined and panted all night like I've never heard her do before. She peed on her own/the bed last night; she's clean now. Surgeon called, said we can either put cath back in or we can ride it out with the understanding that she's going to be uncomfortable a little as she gets these sensations back. So decided to keep the cath out.
After that call, she pooped. Then she peed (without any help, in the bed) again and it's red. I've called the hospital to let them know, I'm sure the surgeon will call soon.
Worried about bladder rupture, vs. UTI (which I don't think flagyl is going to cover), vs. ????
Lolalab

Post by Lolalab »

She's really crying a lot, it's very concerning. I don't know what to expect while we "ride it out". She seems to be in a LOT of pain.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Like you say, I don't think flagyl would do anything for a UTI, it is good for colitis or bowel issues. It is highly unlikely she had a bladder rupture. It sounds like a UTI. She had one a while back, and maybe it is returning. It only takes a small amount of blood in the urine to make it look like *much* more than it is.

I believe you when you say she seems to be in pain but I don't know where it would be coming from. She's at least 10 weeks post surgery, I would expect her surgical area to be pretty pain free by now. Dogs (as far as I know) do not usually stress over the return of sensation in the bladder.

It could just be general stress. That could also account for the gas in the stomach. Something to be aware of with larger dogs is the possibility of bloat. If enough gas builds up in the stomach, it can twist on the axis inside the abdomen and cut off circulation. Emergency surgery is then needed to tack the stomach in place. The surgery is a common one as this is not an uncommon condition with larger deep chested dogs. You might ask the vet is there is anything you can give her for the gas. Also ask if any of the meds she is on could cause gas. Hopefully the pooping she did will help with the gas. If some kind of bacterial overgrowth is causing the gas, the flagyl will help and flagyl works pretty quickly.

In the past when I have heard an owner/caregiver sounding or feeling very concerned about what is going on with their dog, they are usually right, so I would just say trust your instincts.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hoping you guys are OK.
:angel: