Dog neck spasms after surgery...

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Red_33

Re: Dog neck spasms after surgery...

Post by Red_33 »

Thank you CarolC and Weimmon for your replies, I will ring the vets first thing to see what they say. We have an appointment with the Physio tomorrow. It's fun and games at the moment trying to toilet him, catheterising him isn't a problem, however, trying to get him outside to do his number 2's is bad enough and then get him over a yoga/fitness ball is a whole different ball game, especially with how big he is.. It is such an ordeal for him too. I can cope with all the other stuff ie turning him every 2hrs sleeping on the sofa As he's got bad separation anxiety at the moment. Just wish he wasn't in pain. He's such a trooper and is trying all the Physio stuff that's thrown at him... Percerverance I'm hoping is the key to getting him back on his feet.. Thinking of you Weimmom at this difficult time
weimmom

Post by weimmom »

I totally know what you are going through - and feel for you. Although we didn't have to cath our weim, it was so difficult to carry him out and try to have him stand. All 102 pounds of me carrying him. We also had the peanut shaped physioball - and I could not even get him over it myself. When my husband was away I had people set up to come help me - even at 6 in the morning. Our weim was so attached as well and one of us was sleeping on the sofa next to him for the past 4 months. Last night was the first time we were both upstairs. Keep on going, you can do this. It is so difficult, but as you well know, they are worth it.
Red_33

Post by Red_33 »

Thank you, my hubby works away as well, so I know what you must have been going through. l'm luckily I have 16yr old son that can help. Not in the day as he's at school but morning and evenings. Hopefully, it will be worth it in the end. They are wonderful dogs and I truly feel for you today waking up with out yours.
bellaschipperke

Post by bellaschipperke »

My dog just had ventral slot surgery 7 days ago. I have had so much anxiety during the recovery period for her. She is a Schipperke and had C2-C3 done. The first few days after returning home were for lack of a better word....horrible. She seemed like she was in just as much pain as she was before she endured the surgery. Some of the medications caused her to have bloody stool, burping and gas. We discontinued the NSAID, but kept her on Gabapentin & Tramadol as analgesics. She is also on an antibiotic as her temperature was increased. She pants it seems like ALL the time. I feel so helpless because I don't know if it is pain....anxiety or the anticipation of being touched. The stories that have been posted have helped me to feel like there are others in my camp & I don't feel so alone. Thanks you to all. :(
Tboxsears

Post by Tboxsears »

I would say her panting is pain. You cannot advocate enough for your pet at this time. I feel your pain. My Marley has had three neck surgeries, his latest being in September 2014. Currently we are having another episode with mild discomfort. He is on cage rest, prednisone, gabapentin, tramadol and robaxin. What really help my dog postoperatively, was physical therapy. He was able to have laser therapy and acupuncture.
Ninamccorkle

Post by Ninamccorkle »

Mocha wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 pm My dog went thru spinal surgery--broken back and ended up with MRSA and paralyzed. She is much better now--4 years later at age 11. It took about 6 months of heavy rehab--of course my situation is different BUT the point is that any kind of surgery, esp spinal I found this about your procedure

"The size of the opening is critical it must be large enough to retrieve the disc but not to large as this can cause destabilization of the cervical spinal column.

The potential complications seen with this procedure are as follows:

1There is always the potential to damage the spinal cord with any spinal cord procedure. This procedure does not allow the surgeon good visualization. Although the chance of this occuring is minimal it is a risk.
2The venous sinus runs on either side of the laminectomy. It is possible to damage the sinus while removing disc material especially if the disc material is adherent to the fragile sinus. If the sinus is damaged significant bleeding will occur. This bleeding may stop or it may hinder the surgery in such a way as to not be able to retrieve all of the disc material. On a rare occasion the bleeding may be so great that a transfusion is required. "

So, my dog's spine collapsed due to the vets(more than 2 missing a small fracture). I would say that though this is worst case, I think the down time for the dog might be much more time than you originally thought. In fact, the longer the better, I am sure your vet is very good, and I am in no way suggesting they did anything wrong. I am a natural medicine practitioner, and wrote up a blog that might give you ideas of what to give your dog to help him heal better. I am not trying to push it on you, so if you are interested let me know, I'll send you a link. In a nut shell, Antiinflammatory foods that can be helpful during the healing include making the pup a large batch of homemade dog food and adding in freshly ground raw tumeric(much more potent than dried). Bone broths offer Bvitamins and extra calcium and other minerals to help speed the healing. I have found that even when my dog was feeling terrible, she couldnt resist bone broth. Herbs that help the nervous system repair better include Wood Betony(Stachys), which I swear is the reason my dog is walking at all. Raw meat also help the dog's recovery. Little bits of high quality meats. This may sound pricey BUT it sounds as if you are in the world of dumping money of which I finally finished paying off 4 years after the incident. To me if a couple of hundred dollars in really high quality herbs and supplements mean less later, I found it worth it. I also found colostrum to help bring her back from the prednisone. Colostrum is a deep immune builder--and I made sure it came from humanely slaughtered cattles so it wasnt tainted. Anyway, I hope this helps you with some ideas.
The hardest thing is to keep the dog immobilized, but in the end it is the only way sometimes. It broke my heart to kennel my dog but that was it. The worst thing I found was just not knowing how much pain my dog was in, she was so stoic. Food is the best remedy. Some grains can actually create more inflammation, so do your research and really make sure the diet is primo while they are in pain. The twitching may be part of the healing process, but sometimes the meds also can cause weird twitching. I think mine, was on several of the ones you mentioned--in fact I don't know what she wasnt on. Certain ones caused muscle twitches all over.Any way thats all for now
I would love the blog on foods and herbs to feed your dog after surgery. I have a Frenchie that had two disc surgeries in two weeks. He’s not doing well. Major muscle twitching even after heavily medicated. Makes me feel inhuman making him go through this. I need advice on how to help him. Would love suggestions.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: