Blood in urine

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
ashleykendra

Blood in urine

Post by ashleykendra »

My dog cookie can’t walk since February 28. He still can pee and have bowel movements by himself. But tonight I saw blood with his urine. Can it be an infection? I am taking him to the vet tomorrow for an urinalysis. What supplements can I give him to prevent urinary tract infection? Thank you.
CarolC

Re: Blood in urine

Post by CarolC »

It is possible it could be an infection. Sometimes with a spinal injury dogs lose bladder control. But some dogs do not totally lose bladder control, however they do not empty 100%, either because they do not have the sensation to feel they are not empty, or because they lack the control to empty completely. This can leave a little bit of stale urine in the bladder, which can set the dog up for a urinary infection.

The solution is to express the bladder to ensure he is empty. This video is really good because it shows several situations for expressing a dog's bladder. One of the situations is a senior dog who simply does not empty completely. They demonstrate how they let the dog begin urinating, then they apply pressure to help him finish, so he gets empty. Teamwork. It is demonstrated standing, but you can do it with him lying down, too.

https://s995.photobucket.com/user/scoutshouse/media/sh_htmeydb-1.mp4.html?sort=4&o=13

Please don't feel too stressed about this. Urinary infections normally clear up pretty quickly with common antibiotics. He looked like he was emptying normally and the vet did not check whether he was, or tell you to express, so the vet should not be negative to you about this.

In addition to the Scout's House video above, this article has information about expressing and a long list of videos at the end according to the size of the dog.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

Several people here have recommended Solid Gold Berry Balance, but I haven't tried it.
ashleykendra

Re: Blood in urine

Post by ashleykendra »

He peed again but there was no blood. Still I am texting him for infections and I am going to start that supplement to prevent it. Thank you so much for replying and like always give encouragement.