Sub-Q Fluids

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
LisainCAN

Sub-Q Fluids

Post by LisainCAN »

I noticed today that my cat, Agnes, only 1.5 yrs. old, is underweight and dehydrated. I brought her into the house. As I am pregnant, my cats are presently living in an enclosed cat sanctuary on the second floor of my barn that I renovated just for them. I live in a very rural area and have no immediate access to a vet. I am more than familiar with the fact that her symptoms (such as increased thirst, pale gums) indicate either diabetes or renal problems. I need to give sub-Q's but am out of lactated ringers. Can I use regular water?

Thanks,
Lisa and Agnes.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Sub-Q Fluids

Post by critters »

I wouldn't use tap water for SQs; since it's not sterile, I think the risks would be huge. What I'd do is try to get her to drink it--like mixing canned food with lots of water to make a sort of gruel. If she doesn't want to drink on her own, maybe you could syringe-feed some to her.

Good luck!!
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

I wouldn't risk unsterile tap water either. Also, tap water might rehydrate, but won't balance electrolytes. I have a cat who is a former diabetic, who now has kidney failure and anemia. I also have another cat with kidney failure and anemia. Both get daily subcutaneous fluids, so I agree that dehydration, drinking a lot and urinating a lot are typical symptoms of both diabetes and kidney failure, but there can also be many other causes. If you have a home glucometer that you can get at most drug stores, you can check the blood sugar yourself, but it isn't easy. An easier method is to get some urine test strips, also available at most drug stores, and stick one under the tail when the cat pees, then check for color change, to see if there is sugar in the urine. That way you can tell if your cat is diabetic or not. Is there a mobile veterinary service that can come to your home? Is there a cooperative veterinarian who will listen to the symptoms over the phone, and fax a prescription to an online company, who can then have the fluids shipped overnight, as a temporary measure, until you can get the cat to a vet? There are various online companies who will do business this way, but the vet may not be willing to give a prescription without seeing the cat first or may not be willing to fax a prescription to such a company.
Barbara Boehmer (not a veterinarian, just a fellow pet owner)
SilviaGTO

Post by SilviaGTO »

LisainCAN wrote:I noticed today that my cat, Agnes, only 1.5 yrs. old, is underweight and dehydrated. I brought her into the house. As I am pregnant, my cats are presently living in an enclosed cat sanctuary on the second floor of my barn that I renovated just for them. I live in a very rural area and have no immediate access to a vet. I am more than familiar with the fact that her symptoms (such as increased thirst, pale gums) indicate either diabetes or renal problems. I need to give sub-Q's but am out of lactated ringers. Can I use regular water?

Thanks,
Lisa and Agnes.
ok.. like the others said, NO TAP WATER. Lactated ringers is specially formulated so that it is a isotonic solution with the body. Tap water isnt going to be isotonic, its either going to be hypertonic to the body or hypotonic, which either way will hurt your cat more than help it. Not to mention the complete chemical makeup of lactated ringers and tap water are completely different.

second.. your cat is very young. Diabetes and renal failure are RARELY seen in young cats. your cat is showing more symptoms of anemia. If it is renal failure though, its acute renal failure due to something your cat got into.

These are NOT common symptoms for a cat that age to be having. I know youre not close to a vet, but your cat needs to go.. pale gums are a sign of low blood count, not diabetes or renal failure.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Thank you all. I chose to give her fluids by mouth. I only did not have any access to a vet over the weekend. I have been in contact with my regular vet since Monday and I am going to bring Agnes in on Thursday.

Sylvia, I presently have 27 cats, all special needs. I have lost some over the years, despite my best efforts, and one of whom was Holly who died of chronic renal failure at 1.5 yrs. Although poisoning, such as antifreeze, can cause acute renal failure, there are other factors as well that can predispose a young cat to such a disease. Because I take in the sickly kittens who have been rejected by everyone else, it is very likely that they may have inherent weaknesses in their immune system due to congenital disease or to nature. I am very aware of the medical problems of cats. By the way, renal problems cause hematuria, which is the loss of blood in the urine, which would contribute to anemia and thusly pale gums.

Lisa.
SilviaGTO

Post by SilviaGTO »

LisainCAN wrote:Thank you all. I chose to give her fluids by mouth. I only did not have any access to a vet over the weekend. I have been in contact with my regular vet since Monday and I am going to bring Agnes in on Thursday.

Sylvia, I presently have 27 cats, all special needs. I have lost some over the years, despite my best efforts, and one of whom was Holly who died of chronic renal failure at 1.5 yrs. Although poisoning, such as antifreeze, can cause acute renal failure, there are other factors as well that can predispose a young cat to such a disease. Because I take in the sickly kittens who have been rejected by everyone else, it is very likely that they may have inherent weaknesses in their immune system due to congenital disease or to nature. I am very aware of the medical problems of cats. By the way, renal problems cause hematuria, which is the loss of blood in the urine, which would contribute to anemia and thusly pale gums.

Lisa.
Lisa,
I know all this as well. Im a vet tech. I was unaware of your background or the depth of your knowledge, I had only your post to go off of. I didnt say that renal failure DIDNT occur in cats that young, just that it is very unlikely in such a young cat. I did NOT mean to implicate that you had no idea what you were doing.
I was assuming you were talking about a normal cat with these symptoms.. you know what they say about assuming lol.

I am very glad that you have this understanding of the medical problems of cats and much much much kudos for you for taking care of the sickly kittens!! I apologize if I came off harsh. Wasnt my intention but it appears thats how it came out.

Keep us updated about your cat!
LisainCAN

UPDATE

Post by LisainCAN »

Sadly, as I fully dreaded, Agnes has kidney failure, likely due to FIP. She is comfortable now and I will transfuse her once but then I will not do any other heroic measures for her. I did that for Holly, my other 1.5 yr. old who died from the same thing, and that only seemed to drag out the inevitable while compromising her quality of life. I am devastated about poor Agnes and will love and cherish her for the days she has left. She is one of the best cats I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Lisa.
critters
Founding Member

Re: UPDATE

Post by critters »

Aww, poor Agnes. I'm sorry for your impending loss. :cry:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh! Lisa in Can, I am so sorry for this ! I pray she responds but this may be congenital something since you've had this twice!
I am so very sorry for what you are going through.
Prayers going up for her recovery!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Lisa,

I'm so sorry to hear that Agnes is not well. You've been through so much this year, that I wish you wouldn't have another loss.

Sending healing thoughts.

Dianne