SEIZURES! LOW CALCIUM?! HORMONE DEF?

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
racegirlrandi

SEIZURES! LOW CALCIUM?! HORMONE DEF?

Post by racegirlrandi »

Somebody please give me a idea ofr another way to go with my sisters dog "GRETCHEN" Quick rundown Gretchen is a mix breed lab/pit? she is apprx 1year lod and went into her heat at which point my sis took her to be spayed while in heat(i thought it was a no-no) but anyway Gretchen went in a very very healthy active actually hyper-active dog and came out of ity with seizures low calcium possible hormone defiency So they say but i am not so sure. They say that no way could this spay have anything whatsoever to do with it and i dont believe them!!! She was very healthynow she cant even walk!! She is in the vet now waitin g for more blood results regarding hormonal problems and that is another 3-4 days off. I was wondering if anyone cxan offer another approach at what the heck could be wrong we have a vet who is willing to listen to other ideas and wont rule out another possible diagnosis. It seems to be that she is low in calcium and when they give her calcium the seizures stop? Any help is greatly neede If anyone would be able to rack their brains for another posible dx it the folks at HP. aND LIKE I SAID THIS DOG WAS 100% A HEALTHY DOG WHEN SHE WENT IN FOR A SPAY
thank you so much and i hope im not abusing your services with all my dog problems
"PHAT-GIRL momma dog"
"PRINCESS"
"BOBBY"
"BOBBLE HEAD-LOU"
"DINKYDINKYDONKDONK"
"BUDDY"
"GINGER"S MOM,
RANDI-GIRL
the QUEEN
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: SEIZURES! LOW CALCIUM?! HORMONE DEF?

Post by Bobbie »

Low calcium could cause seizures, and if they stop with calcium, that is almost certainly the cause. Be glad there is a known, treatable cause. Most 1 year old dogs starting seizures have idiopathic epilepsy and need lifetime medication and there IS no known cause.

As far as whether the spay had anything to do with it: it is normal for us to believe that if A happens before B then A caused B, but there are far more possibilities, the most common of which is coincidence. If your sister had fed the dog a new food the day before the seizure started she would be blaming that. It's possible that the change in hormones affected the calcium level but that would be unusual as millions of dogs are spayed with no problems.
racegirlrandi

Post by racegirlrandi »

tHANK yOU bOBBIE AND you do make alot of sense
the QUEEN
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I think she needs to be seen by an internal med vet. I wonder if she could have brain damage, causing both the seizures and the loss of walking ability? Seizures themselves can also cause brain damage, so it's a chicken-and-egg kind of deal, and, like Bobbie says, it could be something else altogether.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Once a seizure comes and goes, it is often hard to trace the cause. And I agree with critters and Bobbie that a good check up is called for, so if it is preventable, you'll be able to.

And I really like Bobbie's calcium answer! that is good to know!

Sometimes, it never happens again, so I am hoping that's the case here!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Billieswango

Post by Billieswango »

there is a good chance that this medical problem was going to come no matter whether or not you took gretchen infor surgery. but getting a dog spayed wile they're in heat is ill advised but totally possible. the reasons your veterinarian tells you to wait after your dog's heat cycle is because all of the blood vessels that are part of the uterus and ovaries are especially large and pumping a lot of blood during that time - making it more dangerous for surgery. there can be hormonal problems that can occur from spaying your dog, but you typically see stuff like that with pregnant and older dogs - but gretchen is pretty young, right? Either way, if it were my dog i would take it somewhere for a second opinion... get copies from your current cet and take them to another hospital to see if they might have a different idea about whats going on.