Voiding Issue Looking for advice fast!

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
HanksMomLisa

Voiding Issue Looking for advice fast!

Post by HanksMomLisa »

My newsly FCE diagnosed 180 pound St. Bernard is having issues voiding his bladder. This happened Sunday and affected only his hind end, one leg more than the other. He is able to stand now and hop on three legs. His paralyzed leg has movement when he is dreaming and he is trying to use it when we walk him. The right seems to be working perfectly now. He isn't having any bowel issues and goes when we take him outside. We just brought him home from the hospital to get ready for rehab next week. I have to take him back tomorrow if he doesn't void his bladder. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!!
CarolC

Re: Voiding Issue Looking for advice fast!

Post by CarolC »

Hi Lisa,

One thing to try is take him to the place in the yard where he usually goes. When you are there, you could try pulling up on the sling that is under his abdomen to put pressure on his bladder.

If you need tips on expressing, here is a long article with video demonstrations at the end.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Lisa

I have a DVDD Girl Pug who has paralysis, however I have a Boy Pug who is now weak in the back legs and cannot "Cock his Leg" as Boys like to do and natural for them. JUST IN CASE, your Boy is missing that, what I do with mine is get him near a wall or any other object he has Pee'd on before and lift his leg to rest on it and he goes...thought I'd mention that in case it might work.

All the best for Rehab:)

Sharon
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
HanksMomLisa

Post by HanksMomLisa »

Woo hoo! We managed to void our bladder several times last night and this morning! He has now figured out how to squat to pee. Problem is he seems to be just getting this function back, so it is hit or miss at the moment. If his bladder is pretty full he doesn't seem to have a problem but it may take several trips outside before we have success. I will take what I can get at this point. We have a rehab and neurology appointment on Tuesday so will have him checked to be sure he isn't getting a UTI from this sporadic voiding. It did seem to trigger a reaction when I to was seeing if I could find the water balloon. It was just about 10 or 15 minutes after that point that he whinned to go out and voided. Then he was able to go for several trips after that point. He hasn't gone again in a few hours but he is a big boy so that isn't unusual. :thankyou: to everyone, I can't tell you how much it means to have somewhere to go for information from those who have "been there".
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Very good news Lisa for your Boy and well done on persevering and getting there! It looks good for the rehab now he can Go on his own, wishing you all the good fortune in the World and do keep us posted.

Sharon:)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.