Detroit, MI: Coco, tiny chi with slipped disc in severe pain

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Christine

Detroit, MI: Coco, tiny chi with slipped disc in severe pain

Post by Christine »

I am posting this for another person whom I ask to come here for advice and support This poor little baby is in pain and her owner and family are frantically trying to gather funds for surgery. The vet is having a hard time finding an effective pain medication. Please add any advice for them. I believe they are trying to get Care Credit.
Coco needs surgery, but his human mom doesn't have the funds. He is in so much pain, if he doesn't have surgery right away, she will have to make a really tough decision. Let's help her get little Coco the surgery he needs.

CHIP-IN: http://providingforpaws.chipin.com/coco ... -treatment

If chip in site is acting up, as it has been today. Please donate at: http://www.providingforpaws.org/donate--market.html

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

*From Coco's mom:

Update: 08-05-12: Coco did not do well last night and had to be taken back to the vets this morning. He was in so much pain he could not move at all. Any movement would send him in excruciating pain. We even had to pull over to reposition him during the car ride during ride to vet. Vet said steroid shot was a must despite needing to wait for other meds to be out of the system since he was doing so poorly. Was put on a number of different medications today and high doses of steroids to try and relieve the pain. Said it should kick in within 20 minutes. However, even an hour later, we did not see much improvement at all. I think we are down to a point where it will have to be surgery (if we can raise the money) or putting Coco out of his suffering. Vet wants progress report in 24 hours, if no improvement a choice has to be made soon. He is in so much pain. You can see Coco's whole story on Chip-in Page.

Update: 08-04-12 Coco is not doing well on the medications he was prescribed by emergency room vet. He is still in a lot of pain, falling down and having difficulty moving. Can't even be taken in the yard to do his business. Two different doctors were called today, one being a neurologist. Both state one of the meds he is on does not have enough steroids in it to help his needs. But cannot increase to straight steroid until the current drug is out of his system. Can cause liver problems if additional steroid is given right now. Both new vets spoken to are confused as to why he wasn't given the proper amount of steroids to begin with. Neurologist states that he would need MRI and surgery, which will run up to $5000.00 for both the surgery and MRI. Once Coco starts the steroid, if he does not improve and we do not have the money for the MRI and surgery he needs, owner will have no choice but to euthanize him. Owner is unable to get the care credit to pay for the surgery. Owner giving water with syringe and getting him to lick food off the finger to keep him hydrated and fed. Is it possible to raise the money he needs for the surgery and not euthanize him? Please FB users, share to save this little guys life!

Update: 08-03-12 Coco has a slipped disc in his neck and it may be pinching a nerve. He was sent home this evening with muscle relaxant and pain medication. They did do X-ray also. He has to follow up with vet in 5 days. He may need surgery for the pinched nerve, if he does not improve after medications. His total vet care for tonight is $593.00. However, future treatment is highly probable, therefore we will keep chip-in amount at the $1000.00 for his future care.

Coco's Emergency Treatment

Coco belongs to a sister of one our wonderful facebook cross posters, Deanna Lassi. Deanna's sister does not have the funds to treat her dog who is not eating or drinking and has been hiding under the bed for a few hours now and crying. We do not know what is wrong with Coco other then he is not acting his usual four year old self and has been crying as if he is in pain. Providing for Paws is currently unable to help medical emergencies like this due to lack of funds. However, we are always willing to help network for sponsors to help an animal in trouble and needs emergency services. At this point, we do not know the total cost of services until they go to the emergency vet tonight. Vet's office estimate of consult, blood work and xray's so far is between $600 to $1000.00, if Coco does not have to stay over night. Please consider helping Deanna's beloved furry nephew, Coco by donating for his emergency care he needs. We need to help one of our own, who is always there for us and the animals we network.
Attachments
coco.png
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Coco, tiny chi with slipped disc in severe pain

Post by Christine »

I am sharing some of the information the sisterand the rescue who is helping is posting on Facebook to give a better picture of what is going on. They need to get this poor pup the right pain medication - hopefully this morning that will happen. If anyone has suggestions or information, I will make sure they see it - without funds for surgery, the vet is not giving them many options and they are just devastated at the thought..praying they come here before making the decision vet is suggesting.

CHIP-IN: http://providingforpaws.chipin.com/coco ... -treatment
If chip in site is acting up, as it has been today. Please donate at: http://www.providingforpaws.org/donate--market.html

Update: 08-05-12: Coco did not do well last night and had to be taken back to the vets this morning. He was in so much pain he could not move at all. Any movement would send him in excruciating pain. We e...ven had to pull over to reposition him during the car ride during ride to vet. Vet said steroid shot was a must despite needing to wait for other meds to be out of the system since he was doing so poorly. Was put on a number of different medications today and high doses of steroids to try and relieve the pain. Said it should kick in within 20 minutes. However, even an hour later, we did not see much improvement at all. I think we are down to a point where it will have to be surgery (if we can raise the money) or putting Coco out of his suffering. Vet wants progress report in 24 hours, if no improvement a choice has to be made soon. He is in so much pain. You can see Coco's whole story on Chip-in Page.

Saturday at 9:31am · LikeUnlike.Deanna Lassi Suzanne there is a chip in the links at the top just click on it and then click on the chip in button and it should take you from there Drea Engle can hardly move him right now he seems to be getting worse since we took him to the vet but m...
y sister said last night that she thought he was doing a little better so I am just hoping that he just snaps out of it so maybe if these meds kick in they will think about the bad thing that's a good idea but right now they are saying not to move him and all because the wrong move could make you paralyzed

1Deanna Lassi: this is breaking my heart so confused and not sure what to do Dr. Galle and Dr. Steve are going to do a consultation to see where to go from

08-04-12 Coco is not doing well on the medications he was prescribed by emergency room vet. He is still in a lot of pain, falling down and having difficulty moving. Can't even be taken in the yard to do his business. Two different doctors were called today, one being a neurologist. Both state one of the meds he is on does not have enough steroids in it to help his needs. But cannot increase to straight steroid until the current drug is out of his system. Can cause liver problems if additional steroid is given right now. Both new vets spoken to are confused as to why he wasn't given the proper amount of steroids to begin with. Neurologist states that he would need MRI and surgery, which will run up to $5000.00 for both the surgery and MRI. Once Coco starts the steroid, if he does not improve and we do not have the money for the MRI and surgery he needs, owner will have no choice but to euthanize him. Owner is unable to get the care credit to pay for the surgery. Owner giving water with syringe and getting him to lick food off the finger to keep him hydrated and fed. Is it possible to raise the money he needs for the surgery and not euthanize him?

Providing for Paws: We are on our way to the vet. Coco is worse this morning and did horrible last night. Deanna's sister called her upset at four this morning because he was so bad. I am getting ready to go pick them up and take them right now to my vet. Deanna called him and told him we are on our way. It will be a while for update.

Providing for Paws: Coco did not do well last night and had to be taken back to the vets this morning. He was in so much pain he could not move at all. Any movement would send him in excruciating pain. We even had to pull over to reposition him during the car...
ride during ride to vet. Vet said steroid shot was a must despite needing to wait for other meds to be out of the system since he was doing so poorly. Was put on a number of different medications today and high doses of steroids to try and relieve the pain. Said it should kick in within 20 minutes. However, even an hour later, we did not see much improvement at all. I think we are down to a point where it will have to be surgery (if we can raise the money) or putting Coco out of his suffering. Vet wants progress report in 24 hours, if no improvement a choice has to be made soon. He is in so much pain.

Providing for Paws: I would like to try everything we can for Coco before her sister makes any final decisions. He cannot move right now, Christine, not even after receiving the steroids today. I also told her sister, if the steroid does start to work, he still has to be at complete rest only other then going potty on a harness and leash. I was really hoping the steroids would have started working by now. However, Deanna messaged me and said things are no better tonight.

Deanna Lassi: he's not moving at all he's not even going to the potty outside she was trying to take him out and every time she put him down to standup he would just fall down yes he is just been laying in his blanket all day he did move his leg a little...
bit with out whining but otherwise he has no desire to move at all I would actually hope that it would get to the point where he was moving enough for her to have to put restrictions on him thank you so much for your help and advice everybody
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Re: Coco, tiny chi with slipped disc in severe pain

Post by CarolC »

What state are they in / where are they located?
Christine

Re: Detroit, MI: Coco, tiny chi with slipped disc in severe

Post by Christine »

Sorry, I forgot to add that. They are in the metro Detroit area of Michigan.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: Detroit, MI: Coco, tiny chi with slipped disc in severe

Post by Christine »

Little Coco crossed the Rainbow Bridge today. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
?/1999 - 10/25/08