MY CAT NEEDS STOMACH TUBE TO URINATE!NEED IMMEDIATE ADVICE!

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
mspinki

Re: MY CAT NEEDS STOMACH TUBE TO URINATE!NEED IMMEDIATE ADVICE!

Post by mspinki »

My SUNNI BUNNI is coming home tomorrow! Ya'll keep him in your thoughts! I will let ya'll know how he's doing! I am so excited that I get to see my youngest tomorrow! :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Not only see him but take him home!! Concatulations!! :mrgreen:
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

Thank u Critters! Sunni got home around 5:30 pm today,,,he has a small catheter in his tummy for the next two weeks,,,he goes by jes dribblin! u think i care! NO! :mrgreen: He has to go for a FU in one week and his sutures, catheter will be removed in two weeks. He is of course on antibiotics presently,,,

The vet asst said he had gotten to the point where he wouldn't let them touch him anymore,,,

Of course he perked right up when he saw me!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Awwww!!! He'll probably sleep for days; Buddy always seemed to view hospitals much the way humans do--no decent sleep!
theservs

Post by theservs »

mispinki,
Been reading your post and I'm somewhat new to this board as well. I have a 4 lb Maltese/Bichon that was injured and sustained a ruptured bladder. When they went to repair the bladder they said the urethra was too damaged and put in a uretherostomy tube. I wonder if that is what they are doing with your furr-child? I know they said if that didn't work then a permanent cystostomy (tube into the stomach to help urinate) into the bladder through the stomach wall would be our only option.
Now, if it is a urethrostomy that Buddy has, then I can tell you my little girl can not go on her own and wears a diaper. But she also sustained a broken back, so maybe that is why.

Anyway, wanted to throw out our expereince in case it is helpful. Sounds like he's doing well, though...I know how you feel, we'll do anything to provide them a good life.

Judy and Dolcezza Mia
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

Hi Judy and Dolcezza, Thank you very much for your input!

Sunni had already had a urethrostomy sp? :) two summers ago. Then last summer he underwent a second major surgery where they had to remove scar tissue from his prior surgery (from what I gather this is quite common). In between those two surgeries he had to return to the vet several times to have the little opening reopened as it kept growing over. They finally scratched and roughed up the outter edge to cause it to scar and stay open. Now why, they didn't do this in the first place is beyond me! :o

After his last surgery summer 2007, my furbaby had to return to the vet about every 4-5 months as his bladder would constrict, and he would get listless, would strain in the kangaroo posture and start throwing up. Now mind you, I discoverd handicappedpet.net to learn how to express Sunni after his first surgery. I could never get him expressed! My little angel urinated on his own after both of his major surgeries and didn't even have to be expressed!

So this last time, the Vet said he just couldn't perform anymore bladder surgeries on him. I thought very deeply about having him put to sleep. We all know the drill. When Dr. Johnson got in, he said Sunni's bladder is very deformed and way too thick. He went ahead though and performed the surgery to give him a chance. He put the hole in his tummy so he can urinate. Right now, he has a small catheter in, sewn into place for two weeks. The way he goes, is his urine just dribbles out. (like I care! as long as he goes :mrgreen: ) Dr. Johnson has basically done all he can for him and he is ONE OF THE BEST VETS I HAVE EVER USED OR KNOWN! I have been waiting on my disability now for six years and he performed several of these procedures for free. Post Script! I was finally awarded my disability on May 9. 2008! Yay!!! I say it's about time! LOL

All I can do now is hope for the best! :roll:

I do appreciate your input and am interested in getting to know more about your Buddy. So I will follow your link and hopefully do just that.

Once Sunni has his stitches out, I will probably put diapers on him.
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

My bad, Critters little one was named Buddy! Not mine, not yours but her little angel!
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

Hopefully I will be able to find :grouph: the Huggies Preemies here!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:mrgreen: You probably won't need preemie diapers; Judy's baby is smaller than yours. Buddy wore size 3. :shock:
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

Okay Critters! :thankyou: for your advice!
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

Sunni is doing VERY WELL and is to return to the Vet today for his one (1) week followup. He, of course, gets irate, hisses, etc when I try to clean him off because he is sore! He does have some reddening on his skin around his site where the urine is irritating him. Does anyone know what I can do to help alleviate this? The vet assistant said yesterday when I called that his catheter is probably ready to come out! Sunni is eating very well and wants more food every day! :D His water intake is also gr8! My other furbabies, all but one, my 13 year old sealpoint himalayan (Boogie Boy) hiss at him, run from him and continue to make him feel like a freak but I'm sure this will all end once he has his collar off, etc :mrgreen:
Attachments
A FLOWER 4 EVERYONE AT HANDICAPPED PET !!!
A FLOWER 4 EVERYONE AT HANDICAPPED PET !!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Head down to the incontinence bb & see about Cavilon spray. It's a skin protector, but you'd probably have to be careful how close you get it to the opening, and certainly not seal the opening shut.
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

:thankyou: Critters! On my way!
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

The vet gave Sunni Mometamax for his skin irritations. Said he is very pleased with Sunni Bunni''s progress. He has gained a little weight since coming home on Friday, I think it was! LOL So stressed from all this I can't even remember! LOL :mrgreen: Sunni is going back in on Monday to have his sutures removed. :bounce:

Love To All!