dog hit by car, tail and rectal tone seem paralyzed

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
hope4help

dog hit by car, tail and rectal tone seem paralyzed

Post by hope4help »

our 1 yr old ridgeback was hit by a car last week and broke pelvis in several spots as well as spinal cord damage, surgery seemed to go well but vet says he has no anal tone and hasn't urinated without the catheter, his tail also seems to be paralyzed. Vet says we may have to put him down, we cant even think of that, can anyone provide advice? He is 2 days post surgery with lots of swelling but he is walking with help of a sling and sitting up in his crate. Can the nerves be temporarily damaged? he is such a big part of our family!
critters
Founding Member

Re: dog hit by car, tail and rectal tone seem paralyzed

Post by critters »

:red: Yes, the nerves may be temporarily damaged. You'd do well to read the "sticky" info on the incontinence bb, especially expressing/cathing and poop on demand. The fact that he can walk is a good start! Is he taking anything to reduce the swelling & inflammation in his spinal cord?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

You don't need to put him down even if he can't walk. You can get him a cart, learn to express his bladder if need be, poop usually just happens or you can stimulate him to go when you want him to. Some vets don't get that dogs can be happy as paraplegics- they don't really care as long as they can still get around and have fun with you.

Having a large paraplegic dog does take some commitment- you need to be able to express him at least every 8 hours, put him into the cart (involves lifting his back end) and keep him clean and happy and safe. But if you can do that, don't just assume because he can't walk that he can't be a good pet. Go to my Squidoo link below and watch some of the videos, you can find more videos on You Tube of happy dogs in carts.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 750#p70750

This is a link to an update about Dolcezza, a young dog who suffered a fracture (complete break) in the area of the tail. A year later she had regained bowel control and partial bladder control, proving it is possible. I have a feeling your dog will be walking soon, the control of bowel and bladder may or may not come back, partially or fully, only time will tell. It's possible the main problem right now is swelling in the area, you need to see how he is when the swelling has had a chance to subside. The main thing is to set up a situation you can live with while you are waiting to see how he improves. You may need to express the bladder (squeeze his tummy to make him pee) or catheterize him several times daily. The trick with lack of bowel control is to either stimulate him to evacuate ("poop on demand") so there are fewer surprises, or else manage his diet so he has stools that are easy to pick up (they are dry and well formed and do not soil the carpet if they fall) and keep him in "his" area of the house. With my golden retriever that meant some rooms were off limits (such as living room and dining room) but he was allowed in the downstairs back half of the house and outside. A ridgeback is a fine dog, and yours is so young, I am glad you are giving him a chance. If he can walk with a sling already, I think your main concern is going to be the incontinence.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets (bowel management)

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps (male belly bands)

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat (expressing, catheterizing)
hope4help

Post by hope4help »

Thanks for the replies and support, he is now 6 days post accident, 4 days post surgery for pelvic fracture. the vet has him on non steroid anti inflamation meds(she does not like the side effects of steroids) and some oral pain meds. He can "walk" with help of a sling but he's trying and the swelling has come down alot over the past few days. No anal tone and bowel control as of yet. He is 95 pounds and I am sure all that weight is tough to carry around on a broken pelvis. He seems so sad but I know time works well with injuries, it is hard to see him in such a state but we want to give him the best possible life.
LABYRINTH

Post by LABYRINTH »

Hello--my dog was hit in the rear end 8 weeks ago and had a broken pelvis and 2 shattered vertebrea in base of his tail. He has had rectal incontinence since the accident and they said he should be healed at 8 weeks. He still has had no improvement on his rectal incontinence 8 weeks later and I'm wondering if you could tell me if your dog ever regained control of his bowels? I live in an apartment so this is VERY difficult! If he doesn't improve in a month or so, I will have to see if I can find someone on a farm to take him, or have him put down--which just terrifies me to think about!!!
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Labryrinth

Maybe an idea to start your own thread under the Incontinence Forum, that way people get to see your issues easier.

In the meantime please scroll up one post and you will find info. on expressing the Bowels.

Really, Bowel Incontinence is not difficult to deal with, a Farm is not the place to expect a New Owner to deal with this problem?
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.