Need Help

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Dianne

Need Help

Post by Dianne »

Hello CarolC, Critters, Karen, Christine, Lisa, Bendykitty and friends,

I have a friend, Britta, with a German Shepherd puppy with some GI problems. Any advice or referral to a shepherd website? Thanks for any replies.

Dianne

Here is her information:

I have a 14 week old German Shepherd puppy- 2 months ago my vet from a veterinary specialty center performed a plyoromytomy. He had a fibrous band of tissue enclosing the pylorus. Obtained biopsies of the stomach, pancreas. dyodemum and jejunum. Surgery was considered successful. Puppy started to eating a Low residue diet, no vomiting for about 10 days. Now is being treated for severe infammatory Bowel Disease. Did diet modification and temporary medications (prednisone, metronidazole, Metoclopride and presently started on Azathioprine 50mg 1/2 tablet once daily). Tapering off the pred. and the inflamation of the intestines has returned making him into a picky eater (RC Vension and Potato). Good days and bad days with poor appetite and weight loss and vomiting. I understand that this is the upper intestine and stomach and vomiting and weight loss is the first things that one notices, but I have done almost every blood test available with 2 ultra sounds with relatively no success. Are there any other treatments that a shepherd puppy can be on with less side effects? With the Azathioprine CBC should be done in 2 weeks for bone marrow suppression. I realize that none of these techniques will permanently cure my puppy. I would just like to manage the problems.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Need Help

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Dianne, when Possum arrived here, she too suffered severe something. First dx was irritable bowel, then flooded colon, and doc thought it was tied to her being lethal white, which of course, it wasn't. She was on metranidizole and ... and ... endorsorb. She too had almost projectile vomitting and diarrhea all over thewalls. She too was a possible shepherd mix (that mix possibly being australian shepherd, although I believe she was part eskie). She would respond briefly adn then relapse. Someone on this board, and I always thought it was YOU, suggested low fat, low protein. And after months of battling this whatever disease it was, Possum was cured. I don't mean to suggest your answer will be that easy, but it was a miracle for Possum. I know how debillitating this can be and a lot of folks here had some great ideas for Possum I hope they will come along with great ideas for you too. But I swear by low fat low protein.

and ... WHERE YA BEEN, THERE, SISTER!!!???
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

This is all outside my experience. The only thing I can think of is to be sure the food is room temperature, it's not much of a suggestion...
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Thank you Karen and CarolC for your replies.

Miss y'all. Hope all is well with your pet families. Been crazy busy with family.

Love to all, Dianne