Paralyzed pup won't poop

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Paralyzed pup won't poop

Post by critters »

:whale: BullyBreedLover!
Jenken

Post by Jenken »

I am super frustrated tonight. We are only three days post surgery after my Dachshund mix had a high velocity disc rupture with a badly bruised spinal cord. Dr. said 50-50 on whether she'll ever walk again. I've been expressing her bladder and I've had a few pretty good releases but most of the time I feel like not enough comes out and I'm worried that she'll get an infection. But now I'm finding it hard to express her bladder because she hasn't pooped since before the surgery. I tried the ice cube and it didn't work although I'm not sure how long I'm supposed to hold it on there. I try to finger in the butt too. There was some poop on the glove so I know the poop is right there I just can't get it to come out . Feel like I'm going to be terrible at this and I'm feeling a bit defeated . Right now I just want my happy active crazy pup back. I'm in tears and I'm just so tired.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:group:

Don't feel bad. If you are getting a good release of urine even part of the time at this stage, you are doing good! Pat yourself on the back! Seriously! You have to realize there are plenty of people who can't seem to get any good releases at first. You don't have to be perfect, fortunately the dogs do seem to survive our learning curve! It is possible she might get an infection eventually, but it is usually cleared up easily with antibiotics, so don't let yourself be too worried about that. I know you don't want your dog getting an infection, but it isn't the end of the world if it happens. Also, I wouldn't expect an infection this soon, maybe after a week or 10 days. Depending on your vet's judgment, sometimes the dog is put on a preventive antibiotic at first. I would think that would be more needed for the people who are having less success expressing and have to keep taking the dog back to the vet to be expressed. You could ask the vet about that if you are really worried, but it sounds like you're doing well for 3 days post surgery.

You might try taking her outdoors and laying her on a potty pad or something to keep her incision clean, and see if she'll do her number two. She may not want to potty in the house, but if you take her out she may find it easier to do her business. Another idea is, assuming you have normal sized fingers, you could probably try putting on a disposable glove and dipping a finger in Vaseline and just remove whatever waste is within reach. As long as you do it carefully she should be fine, the diameter of your finger is probably going to be about the same or smaller than the diameter of her normal stool. You might want to ask the vet for some lactulose syrup. It is a non habit forming stool softener, you only give a little and dogs seem to like the flavor OK. You can adjust the dose as needed.

Honestly, if you are already getting her decently expressed part of the time, you're already doing good and it is only going to get better. Just hang in there, this is all par for the course, and better days are coming.
Jenken

Post by Jenken »

Thankyou. I'm feeling a little better this morning. I got a pretty good amount out this morning. Still no poop. I'll try taking her outside and see if that helps. I'm considering taking her to the vet this morning because there's enough in her that I think it's making her uncomfortable when I press on her belly to express her she's groaning at me.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Groaning sounds like she's feeling something. Possibly she needs better pain control. Pain can make the belly tense up (in my experience with expressing a post surgery dog). You may want to talk to the vet about whether the pain medication they gave you is adequate. There are some really good pain meds for dogs, but the vet is depending on you to report whether it is working. If she is having breakthrough pain when expressing, be sure to tell him. You don't want her to be uncomfortable, but at the same time it is very encouraging if she has feeling below the surgery site.
Jenken

Post by Jenken »

Thank you, helpful to know. She has tramedol an it says one to two twice a day. I can give her more because I jad been giving her one in the morning and one in the evenings. Thank you for your input.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: I second that it sounds like your expressing is coming along well, and I also second the lactulose. Being liquid, it's VERY easy to give more or less as needed. You should also know about gabapentin, which can be most useful as they recover if "funny feelings" come into the back, limbs, etc. as the nerves recover. It's used similarly in humans, too.
Jenken

Post by Jenken »

Willow is being a trooper, she doesn't understand why she can't go go go, so she gives me "the look" a lot. She's eating and drinking normally and I am getting better at expressing her bladder and we have normal poop now, which I never thought would please me so much. She's not a fan of the exercises so she's a difficult patient. Her buddy Seamus wishes she could play. For now he's standing guard. Today I told her she had to stay in her bed, so she stared at the Apple Jack on the floor in front of her for a good 15 minutes. We are keeping our fingers crossed that she comes through this. I saw a couple tail wags which I thought was promising, and Matthew tickled her back foot and she twitched.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If you ask me, ANY movement is a good thing!! :cheer:
sparklingpaws

Post by sparklingpaws »

our black lab baby has hip dysplasia and just recently, it got worst and shes unable to stand up, its been 2 days but she had not pooped yet. we tried the " ice technique" but unfortunately shes not responding to it. can anyone advise the right steps of such process.. badly needing your help.

and also, here in my place. dog wheelchairs are not available. we were planning on just making one, DIY. is it ok? or there should be certain ways in making it that we are not capable of. we are really devastated about our baby's situation but we need to be strong, as we cannot let her feel that we are in pain as it might affect her too. that is the last thing we want to happen, thank you so much friends!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:whale:

There are some other techniques in this article. You might try a different technique. Also, there are videos at the end that may give you ideas. :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586