Really need help with a dog who suffered a stroke

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Parrick320

Re: Really need help with a dog who suffered a stroke

Post by Parrick320 »

Jon,

How is your dog now and did he return to normal? How long did the recovery take?

My 12yo Dachshund had a cerebellar Stroke last Monday night. I picked her up Friday evening from Virginia Tech Animal Hospital and have been floored by her condition. Have seen little improvement if any. She hardly can stand and is very hazy and non responsive. She was such a loving people dog and full of personality. I'm floored as she has been there for me thru a divorce, job issues and the loss of my mother. Dating has been a joke since my divorce so she has been the object of my attention.

She may seem a little more alert today. Didn't eat Friday night but finally eat a little boiled shredded chicken last night and this morning. Going to give her more in about an hour.

I may be expecting too much as I wasn't around her much while she was at VT Hospital. I would just like to know she has a chance and a few more years left. My system cannot deal with much more heartache. I have read articles and watched videos showing dogs with complete recoveries.

Don't know if you still get messages from here but would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Patrick
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

: :welcomepigs: Parrick! What meds is she taking? That might explain a lot of her dopiness. Starting to eat is a good start!
Parrick320

Post by Parrick320 »

No meds prescribed only time and rest. She started coming out of it yesterday and I just posted 2 vids on You Tube to help others with their furbabies.

http://youtu.be/rzkZIRxyyO4?list=UU1Ytt ... vyuGCbgN_w

http://youtu.be/U1RJ-v6rPVs

Thanks for your message
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

She looks pretty good! That waggy tail's gotta make you happy! :D
Parrick320

Post by Parrick320 »

Just now she walked about 70 ft in the back yard to her bathroom area and took care of business. Pretty shaky and I supported her from falling with her harness but really great.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thank goodness! That sounds really good. I would expect her to tire quickly right now, but it sounds like she is doing great!